Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richard III - body found???

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Although if it weren't for her attachment to Richard he would still be under a car park in Leicester.

Emotional cripple she may be but, like it or not, she was right.

I didn't mind their initial focus on her determination to dig him up. I did mind them focussing on her blubbing every 10 minutes.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I was worried about them fitting the findings to match the facts. An alarm bell rang whilst watching it when they said "clearly, his face is intact because they wanted to prove it was him", and I could just as easily imagined them saying, if his face was damaged "clearly they wanted to oblitate his features to mark him as vanquished", some of them were reading into it exactly what they wanted to see. All in all, I felt it was probably him though

He would have been put on display to prove he was dead, thus his face would have needed to be identifiable.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
As far as I understand it, MtDNA does not change from woman to woman, just as yDNA does not change from man to man. So any female descendant of RIII's sister will have exactly the same MtDNA. A woman can pass this on to her son, but he cannot pass it on to his son. Hence the DNA match from the son of a woman directly descended from RIII's sister in the female only line.

Did you google that? Come on now. Be honest.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
She might argue it's a bit weird to get emotionally attached to eleven men running round a bit of grass kicking a ball. Each to their own I say.

this ....maybe
history is all about who writes it ...I have no doubt that thatcher would go down as a good PM not suffering fools, Falklands, ect but I remember the people she ruined, made homeless and some who committed suicide after losing everything they had.
as for the children in the tower nothing will ever be proved and it has already been said on this thread the Plantagenets were murdering bastards and I don't see the Tudors as much different.
where should he be rested ............well he has been in Leicester for 500 years so why not there although if he had any take on it I think it might be York

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The historian Dan Cruickshank is calling for a state funeral for Richard III, which would be a bit weird - particularly as he was a probable child killer.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
now the search begins for my 36th great grand father
Alfred the Great
any ideas?????????

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
why do we keep getting these double posts ??????????????

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Uneducated? that response shows you up to be ignorant to be honest. How do you gather that I am uneducated because I do not see the big deal in them finding his remains!!
Perhaps you can tell me what you class as educated?(knowing how to spell your own name does not count).
I await with bated breath your next intellectually superior response?

baited breath maybe? Uneducated mmmmmm probably

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
The historian Dan Cruickshank is calling for a state funeral for Richard III, which would be a bit weird - particularly as he was a probable child killer.

Personally, I think the two Little Princes died at the hand of Margaret Beaufort's lackeys.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
now the search begins for my 36th great grand father
Alfred the Great
any ideas?????????

Work backwards from what you know to what you don't know, in archives and documents, to prove your relationship with him. Alfred the Great was buried several times, the last time in Hyde Abbey. When a prison was being built there in the late 18th century, the bones from the graves were dispersed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
am i alone in thinking this thing has been overblown a touch. its not actually rewritten history, he still died at Bosworth, and we dont know anything more other than confirmed he had a bad back. i found it interesting at first but when they start talking about state funerals i think its gone a bit far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here