Votes: 73 59.8%
  • yes once

Votes: 23 18.9%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If it was Tesco I would not bother grassing him up. Waitrose is a bit different though.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
The whole no-one-likes-a-grass 'argument' (if you can dignify it by calling it that) is something that is rightfully discarded when most people leave childhood. I'm surprised people are choosing to revive it here. What next, an argument that stealing is OK because the shops 'started it' (through dodgy discount practices)? Actually, I think that one's already been used here.
this, it's pretty pathetic stuff.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
If having 105 penny sweets but only saying you had 100 was shoplifting (technically I would steal about 5p's worth!) then yes.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The mentality of some people on here is laughable!

You won't grass on someone for stealing from Tesco, but you'll grass if its a smaller shop? First it will be a chocolate bar, next it will be your car.

And yes supermarkets jack up the prices of goods to cover losses from theft. All the more reason to stop the thieves IMO.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Yep. I nicked three albums from HMV in Brighton in the early 90s. Not only did I get caught but I asked the plain clothes detective what time it was just outside the store. He had two things to say to me. "It's 4.27" and "Did you pay for those?" before leading me back inside. It was a memorable moment. For the record, he said inside that I had two choices. One, he called the Old Bill. Or two, since I had a NatWest Switch Card, if I paid for them, he'd leave it, since I was clearly a kid bricking himself. I coughed up.

The albums were How Ya doing? by Renegade Soundwave, Debut by Bjork and a Beautiful South Album whose title I forget. The third one that wasn't quite as good as the first two? Anyway, tremendous taste I thought and I think he respected that.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I occasionally nick from supermarkets, mainly when drunk and can't be arsed to queue up for more booze. Don't loose any sleep over it nor do I care what people/posters think of me for it.

Wouldn't ever steal from an independent shop like an offie or corner shop though. Nor would I even dream of robbing someone on the street. In fact I've twice handed in phones I found on the bus.

Twisted logic maybe, but that's just me.

Kid you are or are a long way down the road to being an alcoholic and it sounds like you may need some help with this.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Yep. I nicked three albums from HMV in Brighton in the early 90s. Not only did I get caught but I asked the plain clothes detective what time it was just outside the store. He had two things to say to me. "It's 4.27" and "Did you pay for those?" before leading me back inside. It was a memorable moment. For the record, he said inside that I had two choices. One, he called the Old Bill. Or two, since I had a NatWest Switch Card, if I paid for them, he'd leave it, since I was clearly a kid bricking himself. I coughed up.

The albums were How Ya doing? by Renegade Soundwave, Debut by Bjork and a Beautiful South Album whose title I forget. The third one that wasn't quite as good as the first two? Anyway, tremendous taste I thought and I think he respected that.

Imagine the shame of it if you were asked to hand over the CDs you had swiped and they were slowly revealed to be by Roxette, Mariah Carey and Richard Marx...

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Wow, what a thread. 90 percent are so pure they have never nicked anything. I am guessing most of you were prefects or wannabe prefects. Why do some people seemingly equate following all the rules as being morally superior as opposed to being creeping snivelling little tell tells. I have no problem with people taking from large corporations.

If you are lucky enough to walk past an open bank and do not take the bag of cash on the window sill, more fool you. If you walk past a residence and nick a wallet then you are out of order. IMHO

Now I know this being NSC, there will all sorts of scenarios that will now come up, but my point is, that society is structured in such a way that the ruling elite have all the laws on their side. They can screw you because that is how capitalism works. On another thread recently people where defending companies using small print to rip off customers because its legal. That I find morally repugnant and would not do. But if I had no money and either I or my family needed food, I would steal it.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Imagine the shame of it if you were asked to hand over the CDs you had swiped and they were slowly revealed to be by Roxette, Mariah Carey and Richard Marx...

The irony of that is that my favourite song in 1989 was The Look by Roxette. Everyone has their moment. I still like it. In my defence I can say that my brother went to see Go West a few years back. Not since we gerw up together has he ever accepted they were shit. While he countered me back then with, "The Look by Roxette sounds like a gay Def Leppard". Never had a comeback on that one.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Still no evidence that supermarkets put prices up to recover money from stolen goods. They charge what they think they can get away with, end of. We're talking about organisations that sell alcohol at cost price to entice people into their shops and bully farmers into selling cheap milk.
If they come up with some kind of arbitrary figure based on product wastage, security etc. then it will be calculated in terms of their national takings or possibly per store, and they would probably add it onto goods regardless of whether anyone nicked anything or not.
There's no way that you can relate any of this back to the price of individual goods when they're trying to outprice the opposition.

I find it more believable that it comes out of the end of staff wages/profit share (if at all), as Nibble said earlier - that is something tangible and easy to quantify.

I'm not going to ruin anyone's life so that Tesco can make £1.6 billion profit next year instead of £1.59 billion.

Also, the analogy of someone nicking a bar of chocolate and then going on to burgle houses or nick cars is ridiculous. I could just as easily spout a load of claptrap imaginary scenarios to counter that - what if you get someone sent down for nicking food, which in turn causes their kids to get sent into care where they are abused which causes them to be serial rapists later in life? Or what if they get sent down and have to share a cell with someone who is a career criminal who teaches them to burgle houses and steal cars when they get out because they can't get a job with a conviction - that is actually more believable.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You won't grass on someone for stealing from Tesco, but you'll grass if its a smaller shop? First it will be a chocolate bar, next it will be your car..

First it will be a Wagon Wheel. Next it will be your wagon.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Wow, what a thread. 90 percent are so pure they have never nicked anything. I am guessing most of you were prefects or wannabe prefects. Why do some people seemingly equate following all the rules as being morally superior as opposed to being creeping snivelling little tell tells. I have no problem with people taking from large corporations.

If you are lucky enough to walk past an open bank and do not take the bag of cash on the window sill, more fool you. If you walk past a residence and nick a wallet then you are out of order. IMHO

Now I know this being NSC, there will all sorts of scenarios that will now come up, but my point is, that society is structured in such a way that the ruling elite have all the laws on their side. They can screw you because that is how capitalism works. On another thread recently people where defending companies using small print to rip off customers because its legal. That I find morally repugnant and would not do. But if I had no money and either I or my family needed food, I would steal it.

Agree entirely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here