Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tommy Elphick

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Nice bloke and an Albion fan for life, but struggled at the top of league one for us (his own game), let alone assisting our Championship mid table fizzle-out.

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
There are a lot of shit centre backs in the Championship. Zat Knight for example. Tommy Elphick could play at this standard, comfortably. He isn't ever going to be a top player, but he has the intelligence to play to his strengths and I think the more he plays, the better he will be.

Gareth McAuley of West Brom was a bog standard Champ centre back until getting a Premier League chance aged 32. Elphick can still improve and prove people wrong.

Agree with this - I don't think we could afford the time for him to improve

D

Deleted member 2719

He was never tried at championship level but was immensely good against villa in the cup a couple of years ago.

He should never have been let go and that was my view even before now when we have only a small amount of centre backs available.

I agree, the lad seems to have filled out now (which was always on the cards) and i feel he could have stayed but he was probably a little bit too English for GUS and who could ever doubt Gus's decision making.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree, the lad seems to have filled out now (which was always on the cards) and i feel he could have stayed but he was probably a little bit too English for GUS and who could ever doubt Gus's decision making.

He was happy to stay here, especially the way the club paid for the top surgeon in the world to re-do his achilles op. He was then approached by Bournemouth with a 3 year deal of regular football, so went to see Gus who said he wouldn't stand in his way but would like him to stay. It was Elphick's decision.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think people are perhaps missing the point of a squad. Elphick was probably not going to be a starting centre half for a top end Championship side, but he would have been a vital squad player during suspensions, injuries, or when players needed resting.

A better centre back than Painter is a left back but people are happy to have him in the squad.

Also, with no development squad central defenders seemingly good enough to sit on the bench in recent games, would have been handy.

That said, a move was better for his career.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Looked top class when defending alongside Butters. Once Butters was gone he never seemed to find his old form again.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Did he not return from injury until the end of the season?

He didn't play at all last season, no. His return was in the pre-season friendlies this summer just gone. Once he had proven he was back to fitness, Bournemouth SWOOPED for his signature.

Yes. The FA have also deemed his 3-game ban to be sufficient. Equally useless and CJTCish.

That is disgusting. Looking again at the picture, he's at KNEE height ffs!!! That is BEYOND a disgrace of a tackle and deserves as many games as then can allow. I would say that 3 games is nowhere near enough to punish for THAT lunge. It is absolutely disgusting. You get a 3 game ban for gently nudging a ball boy with your foot when he's being a prick, and the same for throwing yourself two footed into someone's leg like this.

D

Deleted member 2719

He was happy to stay here, especially the way the club paid for the top surgeon in the world to re-do his achilles op. He was then approached by Bournemouth with a 3 year deal of regular football, so went to see Gus who said he wouldn't stand in his way but would like him to stay. It was Elphick's decision.

Were you in the room then Thunderbolt??? How do you know how it was put to Tommy???

D

Deleted member 2719

Were you in the room then Thunderbolt??? How do you know how it was put to Tommy???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

D

Deleted member 2719

Poyet has said it himself in interviews either in the Argus or on Player.

Do you believe all that is said through the media, because i would have thought a competitor such as Tommy would have preferred to play for the Albion on the way up, than Bournemouth. Maybe Gus could have phrased it slightly different to Elphick and his agent???

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Strange because we've been at the top end of the Championship for the best part of two seasons. You must read your paper upside down.

Top six is top end. The rest are also rans, but lets see at the end of the season. That is when it counts, not in September.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I always have time for products of our youth system but in Tommy's case, letting him go was definitely the right move.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here