Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our worst signing of the last decade

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Harley just rolled the ball to the keeper. At least, Ulloa tried to kick it.

Disagree 100%.

Harley's penalty whilst abysmal, was 100% BETTER than Ulloa's. It was not possible for Ulloa's to score. If he hit that same penalty 100 times the ball still misses the goal every time. If Harley 'hit' his 100 times, the keeper might dive out of the way 6 times, and fumble one through his legs :jester:

The first basic of taking any penalty must be to get it on target. Not hitting the goal is criminal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Disagree 100%.

Harley's penalty whilst abysmal, was 100% BETTER than Ulloa's. It was not possible for Ulloa's to score. If he hit that same penalty 100 times the ball still misses the goal every time. If Harley 'hit' his 100 times, the keeper might dive out of the way 6 times, and fumble one through his legs :jester:

The first basic of taking any penalty must be to get it on target. Not hitting the goal is criminal.

Harley's shot, whilst on target, didn't have the 'legs' to get over the line. It was straight down the middle so the keeper just waited for it to reach him.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This is worst signing rather than worst player so taking into account overall contribution vs money spent I nominate Kemy Agustein. I shudder to think what we've wasted on this big lump of useless's wages. Clearly a talented player but has absolutely no desire to even pretend like he's a professional footballer. Swansea must have been pissing themselves when we took him off their books - 2 years as well. Someone really dropped a bollock there.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
David Stockdale seems to be working himself in to the frame. Obviously no keeper will match the stunning ineptitude of Graeme Smith, but Stockers has cost us £1m and he certainly isn't living up to the price yet.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Not one member of our current squad deserves to mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Jonny Dixon, Battipedi, Baz, Hawkins, Smith etc

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Those Man City loanees (Razak was once) in the first Amex season were a whole heap of useless in comparison to what they could have been.
Ultimately, yes, but Razak did give us one of the finest individual performances ever seen from an Albion player in the 3-0 win over Ipswich. He was incredibly good that day.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
David Stockdale seems to be working himself in to the frame. Obviously no keeper will match the stunning ineptitude of Graeme Smith, but Stockers has cost us £1m and he certainly isn't living up to the price yet.
Well done. Lovely to be so pointlessly negative about an Albion player who clearly has the backing of all at the club.

Presumably you are choosing to completely ignore his flawless display in Tuesday night's draw at Huddersfield...?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
There was a scots striker @ Withdean who I'm sure got into a fist fight in the dressing room?!? And didn't feature thereafter. he was tuly, truly awful. He could'nt even run - God, I'm sure he signed the first season back at Withdean... Help me out someone! David... something?!? I want to say Cameron... A (ahem) 'prime' candidate for our worst ever signing, I'm sure he commanded a fee too!

Kosh

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Found him... I was nearly right... came from Scotland... Paid his own fee hmmm promising start, 2 year contract w t F! His Wiki Brighton entry is 100% proof of his 'ability...'

Brighton & Hove Albion[edit]Cameron paid £1,400[1] in the summer of 1999 to buy himself out of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in order to join Brighton & Hove Albion on a two-year contract. However, he struggled with the initial demands on full-time football, particularly his fitness and weight levels. However, having been threatened with the axe by manager Micky Adams, he began to come into form particularly impressing in the 2-2 home draw with Lincoln City on 23 November 1999.[2] Finding goals elusive, his final game for Brighton against Hull City on 5 February 2000 saw him substituted after just twenty minutes and then be the subject of severe criticism from Brighton's assistant manager Alan Cork who stated that "Cameron was useless, full stop. If he wants to be a professional footballer he has got to liven up. On that performance it will be a long time before he plays again."[3] Cork's comments caused controversy in the local media and Brighton manager Micky Adams was forced to defend Cork.[4] At the end of February, Cameron spent a week on trial with Raith Rovers[5] before moving to Worthing at the end of March. He would mark his home debut in spectacular fashion, scoring five times against Barton Rovers on 11 April 2000.[6] His form for Worthing attracted attention and Lincoln City, remembering his performance against them the previous November, invited Cameron to trial for them in Grant Brown's testimonial game against Middlesbrough in May 2000. An impressive performance saw Cameron secure a two-year contract with the Imps.

I realise, he's not of this 'decade', but he'd comfortably qualify for the worst XI of the past 20 years in my opinion!

Kosh

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not one member of our current squad deserves to mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Jonny Dixon, Battipedi, Baz, Hawkins, Smith etc

Depends how you interpret the question. It's not the worst player but the worst signing. I take that to mean that cost/ wages should be taken into account, a lot of the players you mention, atrocious as they were, were low risk signings.

This is why CMS isn't a ridiculous answer as we spent an eye watering sum on him for a whole heap of average.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well done. Lovely to be so pointlessly negative about an Albion player who clearly has the backing of all at the club.

Presumably you are choosing to completely ignore his flawless display in Tuesday night's draw at Huddersfield...?

You could see by his celebration of Dunk's goal, that he really cares. There have been players who didn't give a fig as long as they got their pay.
Stockdale has made some really good saves already this season.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

No need to get all snitty and defensive. It's not pointlessly negative to gently observe that Stockdale hasn't had a great start to the season and, in the context of the thread subject, it's hard to see him as a £1m goalkeeper. And no, I wasn't in Huddersfield on Tuesday night because I didn't even get home from work till after the match started. So I can only judge on what I've seen at the Amex where practically every one of his performances has been flawed.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
. It's not pointlessly negative to ("gently") observe that Stockdale hasn't had a great start to the season.
in a thread about Brighton's "worst signings of the last decade"...!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here