Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scottish Football's restructure

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I read on the BBC that this may actually mean Rangers staying the new third division, will be interesting to see what happens

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The Sky article isn't very informatative, I'd imagine they're talking about making the leagues bigger and getting rid of one? Would make sense to me, although it could lead to more teams stagnating at a certain level. Albion Rovers, for example, were in the third division for a LONG time! Now struggling at the level above and likely to plummet back (or were the last time I looked). A three tier system would make more sense than the current 4 tiers.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
All that changes is there will be MTL1 , MTL2 and MTL3

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You can't polish a turd.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
I thought this was old news. Oh wait, I'm thinking of last week's restructure.

Actually, it's a very rare thing for the SFL and SPL to agree on anything, let alone the league structures. From the outside, this does look like the first restructuring proposal in a while that isn't completely hatstand.

Usually, they involve the top tier veering between 10 and 12 clubs every few seasons, followed by a series of randomly generated numbers until it totals 42, e.g. 10-14-12-6, or 12-18-2-10.

This one actually seems quite logical, so it's bound to be thrown out before long.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Oh, I stand corrected. Looks sensible at first glance, but in fact it's at least as mental as what's gone before. Here's the detail:

Leagues will be called Premier Division, Championship and National League - a bit mad, but no madder than the naming conventions south of the border

Top two leagues to split into three leagues of eight after 22 matches then play a further seven home and seven away games - er, what?

Top eight teams to play for title and European places; middle eight to contest promotion and relegation in and out of Premier Division; bottom eight to decide who drops into National League
- right, you've totally lost me now

So the apparently normal-ish 12-12-18 structure changes in mid-season to an 8-8-8-18 structure.

Teams in the "2nd" of these end-of-season divisions - i.e. the ones who finished in the bottom 4 of the Premier Division and top 4 of the Championship prior to the split - have their points reset to zero after it. Presumably the teams in the "1st" and "3rd" post-split divisions keep their points from the first part of the season...or maybe just the points gained against other teams in the same post-split mini-division as them...or...oh forget it.

Even by the previously lofty standards of Scottish football administration, this is completely incomprehensible and mad. Well done chaps.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Oh, I stand corrected. Looks sensible at first glance, but in fact it's at least as mental as what's gone before. Here's the detail:

Leagues will be called Premier Division, Championship and National League - a bit mad, but no madder than the naming conventions south of the border

Top two leagues to split into three leagues of eight after 22 matches then play a further seven home and seven away games - er, what?

Top eight teams to play for title and European places; middle eight to contest promotion and relegation in and out of Premier Division; bottom eight to decide who drops into National League
- right, you've totally lost me now

So the apparently normal-ish 12-12-18 structure changes in mid-season to an 8-8-8-18 structure.

Teams in the "2nd" of these end-of-season divisions - i.e. the ones who finished in the bottom 4 of the Premier Division and top 4 of the Championship prior to the split - have their points reset to zero after it. Presumably the teams in the "1st" and "3rd" post-split divisions keep their points from the first part of the season...or maybe just the points gained against other teams in the same post-split mini-division as them...or...oh forget it.

Even by the previously lofty standards of Scottish football administration, this is completely incomprehensible and mad. Well done chaps.

After half a bottle of whisky it makes complete sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here