Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Put Motty out to pasture

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
He is absolutely useless. Never appears to know what's going on or has just happened, starts every sentence with 'oh' as if he's permanently surprised, and in recent years has bizarrely started calling added time overtime. Institution? No, he's f***ing irritating and an instant reason to turn over so I'm not subjected to that girly little giggle.

"And, er, here's Gerrard, I think...oh and a shot...oh, saved...oh and suarez...oh and I think it's gone in!"

Yes John, the clue is when the ball's in the net you colossal fucktard.

He is a bumbling Everyman and I don't mind if he's not super slick. This will be his last season in his current capacity for sure. You'll miss him when he's gone and you have Chris Kamara or Martin Keown calling every game.:mad:

What's the deal with Alan Green any road? He's from Belfast or Derry and always goes on about the England team as if he has the three lions tattooed on his forehead. If I rocked up in Belfast with my English accent and started commentating on the hurling or Gaelic football and going on like I was from the bogside I would be hounded out of there tout suite.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Unfortunately, my problem with almost all commentators (including Motty) is that they are no longer "commentators" but are now pundits "lite". They simply cannot resist giving you an opinion, like Jon Champion calling Suarez a "cheat". Just shut up!!

It actually all started when the Beeb chose Motty over Davies who was a master of understated commentary. Motty also now tries to shoehorn in his gimmick of a ludicrously obscure and uniteresting fact:

"Of course, this Mansfield Port Vale fixture has produced some interesting side notes. In the 1932 fixture, who can forget Tommy Hayes and his progressive use of the short back and sides haircut? Heh, heh, heeh..."

agree 100%

I can't STAND John Champion with his hyperbole. You can almost hear him rustling his thesaurus looking for words you might not have heard in a commentary before.

The cheat thing was ridiculous and I'm glad espn apologised. Not that I really care what Liverpool/Suarez think but because it undermines him a bit. He's bloody awful.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He's been dire for a long time. The BBC lost Barry Davies, one of the best, beacause of their Motson obsession.

Agree with that. The decision to persist with the schoolboy witterings of Motson over the very professional ( " interesting, very interesting" ) Davies was baffling.
For those of us weaned on the understated Wolstenholme...." Banks with the ball ( three second pause )....lovely ball to Peters ( two to three second pause )....Charlton ( another pause )....a great goal "......Motson was far too juvenile.
Peter Jones was a superb radio commentator, far superior to the hysterical Alan Green.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've seen the video of the Claridge and Moston reactions to the Papiss Cisse goal at Stamford Bridge last season, very cringeworthy and I fear I may need to clarify my comments a bit on Motson. I don't listen to his radio show, whatever he's involved with. I only know him from MOTD and live commentaries, that's all I've seen or heard from him. I love him for his commentaries and I think it'll be a great shame when he retires from MOTD. I can't speak for his ability, or potential lack of, as a pundit. As a commentator I think he is fantastic, but then I liked Ray Wilkins (not to start with, admittedly) commentaries and greatly miss him now he's gone. The young man did very well there, I thought!

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Motson has been sh1te for years, as others have pointed out he cackles (laughs) to himself once a game about a "joke" he has cracked to himself, what is that all about. Sometimes he screams/squeals in a very high pitched voice when a goal goes in. Him and Lawrenson are almost unbearable together, what with Lawrenson continuosly (it normally starts around the 20 min mark) putting in snide sarcastic comments about how cr4p the game/defence/midfield/attack/stadium/coffee/whatever is (Alan Green does this on the radio too). The Beeb need a clear out of this dead wood that just offer the same old, same old, drivel. Garth Crooks don't get me started, what a tool.

Barry Davies of yesteryear was really good (miles better than Motson then and now) as others have said and Don Goodman nowadays is a good summariser too. Alan Parry is ok too.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Can't we just further science along a bit and reanimate Brian Moore? He was the don.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was going to say Brian Moore was the best ever TV commentator, and Peter Jones was quality on the radio.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Thing is, he doesn't seem to correct his first call even after seeing the replay.

While talking over the replay, he'll often say " ... and such and such is clearly offside", even if the replay clearly shows a player yards onside, just because that was how he called it the first time.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Three pages in and no one has mentioned Alan Shearer:shrug:

No wonder Lee Dixon buggered off to ITV if he was behind that oaf in the pecking order. Can Blackburn just give Shearer the manager's job so he's no longer polluting the airwaves.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Worst commentator at the moment is ITV's very own Jim Beglin! If its not Liverpool playing he doesn't want to know, or he will try his god damn best to get a Liverpool related story or fact in the commentary! Truly awful!

Niall Quinn is in the same mould as Beglin as well, constantly harps on about City constantly! I for one miss Andy Gray!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here