Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prague advice

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Cheers for all the advice all.

How do the people of Prague find speaking English?
How about away from the tourist areas?
It's the first place I've been to with no experience of the language.
I'll obviously learn my hellos, goodbyes, and thank yous!

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Oh, and I'll give the web broadcasting whorehouse a miss, cheers!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Prague is awesome, especially if it has been snowing

Perhaps it might be worth alerting [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION] to this thread

like superman when someones in trouble, dave can sense when someone has a prague related issue online. dont worry.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
They speak English in the center, not so much away from it..depends what the business is......Outside Prague, an experience!...

Phonetic Pronounciations

Hello - Ahoy

Good Day - Dobri den

Good evening - Dobri verchair

Please - proseem

Thank you - Dickooyu (seriously), or Dickooyi..shortened to dicky, and dick.. if i feel badly treated/served saying dick to the waiter offers a measure of consolation.

Goodbye - Naskledanow.. shortened...Naskla....or cau...same as the Italian ciao...

Tea - Chai

Coffee - Kava

Beer - Peevo

Sex - Sex

Its a mysterious language to me most of the time...im still grappling with the name of the street ive recently moved to...

I still cant say Thursday in Czech. My tongue can only perform contortions like that if a woman is involved....čtvrtek?

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I would just have a beer in U flecku..... the food isnt great and bloody expensive..over 300kc for duck and cabbage??? fecking hell..

You will see what I mean about moving away from the center to eat..the difference in price is big..
You will get expensive, average food in the center, much, much better value a few stops away.
Some places to eat in zizkov area.

MOOD - V�TEČNÉ J�DLO V RESTAURACI
went here with my gf this evening, and pretty impressed with the flank steak...the restaurant reviewer on the expats server
is a septic and rates the hamburgers here as the best in Prague, if not the Czech republic...
Here is his review.
Mood Restaurant, Prague - Czech Republic

Awkward to get though, but if your in the area of Zitkov hill where the huge horse monument and communist mausoleum, then you are right near it...the terrace in the summer looks over the park Zitkov hill is part of...incidentally Zitkov Hill, where there was a famous battle apparently, gives spectacular views across the city.

JÃ*delnÃ* lÃ*stek | REBELLION restaurant, bar, wine | restaurace, bar, vinárna Praha 3 - Žižkov

Wellcome to the Beerhouse „U Sadu“ - Pivnice U Sadu (close to TV tower)

Taverna Olympos - Menu (along from palac akropolis by tv tower as well)

Restaurace SKLEP, Seifertova 53, Praha 3 - Stálý jídelní lístek (opposite Zizkov Viktoria FC stadium....3rd stop from Wenceslas sq...5 mins...tram 9 is the Zizkov tram and you want the tram heading towards Debenhams when leaving wenceslas)

Thees a new burger place on the zizkov viktoria side of the road in the next block up called Yes burgers...scruffy place..seems to be run by hippies, but outstanding burgers.....

Last edited:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Thanks [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION]! All very useful.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
If I could hijack the thread slightly, I'm going on a stag to to Prague in mid-April, are there any activities, pub, clubs, etc. that you would recommend?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Depends what you are into ...?

I guess it's going to be a stereotypical stag do, around 12 blokes all around 30 years old going Friday morning to Sunday morning. I know the best man was looking to book a Party Bus (looked like an organised crawl) on the Friday and a boat trip with stripper on the Saturday evening. I was wondering about doing some sort of activity on Saturday morning/afternnon, but we don't really want to travel too far from the centre or be spending too long without a drink in our hands.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I would imagine you will be recovering on saturday morning... :)

noticed this in April...

Gambrinus liga - AC Sparta Praha vs. SK Slavia Praha 4/13/2013 | 17:00
fairly sure you would be able to get tickes for it, despite being the two biggest clubs in Prague....

Can go shooting, but with a hangover, probably hell on earth..
AK47 & M16 Shooting Trip in Prague

but mostly likely, you will just spend the time wandering around, and trying beers in one of the thousands of bars/pubs here....

We plan (GF and myself) to have a new music club open by April, but its for the Ukrainian community...but...saying that, it can be a laugh, it can be dangerous, it can be exciting...can never tell, but some great looking women...but not sure yet when and where...police have kind of insisted we are not in the center in future haha..

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I would imagine you will be recovering on saturday morning... :)
Gambrinus liga - AC Sparta Praha vs. SK Slavia Praha 4/13/2013 | 17:00
fairly sure you would be able to get tickes for it, despite being the two biggest clubs in Prague....

That is actually the weekend we'll be there, but I don't think all of the party would want to go. I'm actually arranging a stag do later in the year where one of the main aims was to try and take in a match, think I'm going to try Hamburg (St. Pauli).

We plan (GF and myself) to have a new music club open by April, but its for the Ukrainian community...but...saying that, it can be a laugh, it can be dangerous, it can be exciting...can never tell, but some great looking women...but not sure yet when and where...police have kind of insisted we are not in the center in future haha..

Sounds good, keep me posted! :)

Any idea what the best strip club would be? Any good pubs to watch English football during the day?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Last edited:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Get your SMUT off my CLEAN thread :thumbsup:

Last request for any more advice before I go this weekend? Cheers x

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here