Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tipping

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Some.....my mate was dealt 8,9,10,J,Q all hearts straight up in Caribbean Stud game there....winnings $10,000 (after 30 mins CCTV scrutiny by suits etc)
The dealer made it clear he expected a 1,000 tip for his part. He got $50.
I got $1,000 tip & other friend did, however as part of a 'big win plan' on plane over. My idea!
Dealer was not happy, us 3 were

Cheeky tw@. I hope your mate asked whether or not the dealer contributed to 10% of the punters' losses when he dealt a succession of shit hands.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The dealer made it clear he expected a 1,000 tip for his part. He got $50.

What a tosser. You don't TELL someone what you expect for a tip. I'm assuming he's happy to "put in" 10% for every loss made by any punter?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I tip 10% in restaurants if they don't already assume the service charge, I've taken the service charge off for poor service. I tip the barber a quid. Used to tip cab drivers but they are robbing bastards so don't bother anymore. Any other service can get f***ed.

OurPrice

Nov 22, 2012
I tip 10% in restaurants if they don't already assume the service charge, I've taken the service charge off for poor service. I tip the barber a quid. Used to tip cab drivers but they are robbing bastards so don't bother anymore. Any other service can get f***ed.

This. I cannot stand the US culture of tipping for the sake of it. The whole 'take it for granted' attitude is just wrong, as is getting the needle with you for not tipping. Just f*** off! Tipping should only be applicable if a good service has been received, and generally I do as Nibble suggests above

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I'm happy to tip for good service. Sadly in the 1901 there has only been 3 occasions when the service has passed the bare minimum standard and on those occasions I have tipped. Frankly I wish I was tipping every time.

DanielT

Very much the same.
If you have a meal and the food is great, get the chef out and tip him. McDs serve me food too (as per the video earlier) but I don't tip them. And I delight in getting the change from taxi drivers. The bus driver didn't get a tip, nor will you.

Not tight, but the assumption people need tipping for doing their job is nonsense.

However, I will tip if they've gone above what was expected of them or if they've made me laugh etc

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This. I cannot stand the US culture of tipping for the sake of it. The whole 'take it for granted' attitude is just wrong, as is getting the needle with you for not tipping. Just f*** off! Tipping should only be applicable if a good service has been received, and generally I do as Nibble suggests above

It really is a joke in the US, you're supposed to tip a barman at least $1 for EVERY drink they pour you (or bottle they pop open, @Kinky Gerbils had a great experience in Boston when the bottle got chipped on opening). f*** off if I'm giving a tip for that (obviously I do because I'm British and hate to be rude but the thought is there).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here