Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A pro CMS / Gus thread (negative comments welcome).

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
With a few negative comments oddly flying about yesterday, I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the tactics and substitutions yesterday.

I know cms has taken some flack, but watching the game back Newcastles best spell even with 10 men comes on 70 minutes... The same time when cms comes off. His continual hurrying of defenders is very evident and key to Newcastle not getting a foot hold, am I seeing a different game to others?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
No - completely agree. When CMS went off the defenders had all the time in the world to pick out long passes.
Great finish by Hoskins though so nice to have options (even nicer if we get another option)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
May as well play El Abd up front if pressing defenders is all he's there for. Strikers need I be able to score goals, he clear can't (consistently at this level)

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
However it wasn't a problem as they didn't score and unfortunately I doubt if CMS would have scored like Hoskins did.

No, but they certainly pushed us back and we lost our shape and control of the game. I think this is the area that some don't appreciate from CMS. I know striker needs to equal goals, but with our style of play he is still crucial imo.

Hoskins goal was taken well and I am looking forward to the pair hitting form.

How long do they both have left on their contracts, anyone know?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
With a few negative comments oddly flying about yesterday, I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the tactics and substitutions yesterday.

I know cms has taken some flack, but watching the game back Newcastles best spell even with 10 men comes on 70 minutes... The same time when cms comes off. His continual hurrying of defenders is very evident and key to Newcastle not getting a foot hold, am I seeing a different game to others?

We were on the back foot and we looked shaky for a spell,but then we raised our game and the very person who replaced Smith killed the game,what a killer through ball,what a killer run and finish,difficult to answer,i like Smith but Hoskin's is a smarter player,more often than not it's the off the ball work that counts.

I agree with you,but it's great to have the other option too.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
May as well play El Abd up front if pressing defenders is all he's there for. Strikers need I be able to score goals, he clear can't (consistently at this level)

He has 11 goals this season so hardly the worst record ever. Yes, he could have had more but he is still comfortably our top scorer. As for Hoskins' goal, he did well to stay calm but the keeper committed himself quite early allowing Hoskins to slot home. I think CMS probably would have scored too.

As for the OP's point, I agree. They had a lot more space at the back to launch balls into our area and we were under more pressure after CMS went off. That's not to say Hoskins did badly, and I probably would start him against Derby, but just that they have different games.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Gus still went 1 up front though-? and it worked out?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

Yeah because el Abd would do that job wouldn't he, there is no one else in our squad or many other teams who can imo?

He can and does score goals, but has more to his game, you obviously didn't see the connection yesterday?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
He caused lots of problems chasing down defenders and hurrying play but was largely left fruitlessly trying to win headers against much larger central defenders. Not his fault and holding the ball up and linking play is not his strength so hard to criticise him for that. As we dropped deeper Gus put Hoskins on who is much better at getting the ball played into him and linking play which proved an excellent change

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
In reply to [MENTION=492]Caveman[/MENTION] OP- in short we must not sell Smith- we need another 2 strikers to add to the squad-Smith is a superb player anyone who cannot see this is blind.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I have always been in the Cms camp, I only really think we notice how much we miss him when he is not in the side. Very noticeable when he was out injured for three/four games. His constant running gives defenders not rest as the op says. That said, Hoskins came on and took his chance and deserves a start. The question is can we find a way to start with both, as I do thing Hoskins deserves a run in the side.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

11 goals halfway though a season and he hasn't started every game. Any manager in the country would bite your hand off if you offered him a 22 goal striker at the start of the season. Which is what Cms is on target for

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The problem with CMS is that throughout the game, he doesn't look like he's going to score. Then when he does, it's a bit of a surprise.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The problem with CMS is that throughout the game, he doesn't look like he's going to score. Then when he does, it's a bit of a surprise.

Sound like the perfect striker to me,85 minutes of nothing and then a goal,only with Smith you get 85 minutes of total commitment game after game.

It is all about goals but too much is expected of forward players,if i was manager-EVERY PLAYER MUST CONTRIBUTE

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Agree with OP. CMS is vital to us as a first line of defence.... I wish he could take more of his chances but then if that was the case then my guess is that he'd be playing at a higher level.

Gus will not be selling him this season so get behind and support the fella.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
No, but they certainly pushed us back and we lost our shape and control of the game. I think this is the area that some don't appreciate from CMS. I know striker needs to equal goals, but with our style of play he is still crucial imo.

Hoskins goal was taken well and I am looking forward to the pair hitting form.

How long do they both have left on their contracts, anyone know?

CMS contract up 2015, Hoskins' contract is up and the end of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here