Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridge to sign a 3 year contract???

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
bridge and becks are very good mates yes? rumour has it becks is heading back to the uk, could do a job? :lolol:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What an amazing signing by Poyet and I honestly think players like Bridge, Kuszczak, Bruno, Lopez and Orlandi (all of whom have been excellent summer signings and have played at a higher level) sign for us because Gus is our manager and we would struggle to get them with a less well known manager.

You are not wrong. And he may also be a reason for Bridge to stay, although Frankie may have more influence!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm not so sure, I might be rose tinted spectacle testicles, but I think this new guy is for starters in the DS, a 3 year deal at the age of 32 is security for WB and he probably wouldn't get such a deal elsewhere for the longer term? he has already stated he has refound the love for the game since being with us and he would be a mentor for this new guy?

I don't think the fella is in need of security and even if he was LA will pay more in one season than we could afford in 2 I suspect. Also the whole set up with his bird makes this an obvious choice for him. I'd be bloody surprised if he hasn't already got things set up there ... but you never know

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't think the fella is in need of security and even if he was LA will pay more in one season than we could afford in 2 I suspect. Also the whole set up with his bird makes this an obvious choice for him. I'd be bloody surprised if he hasn't already got things set up there ... but you never know

I get the logic and agree it may have already been setup but I can't help feeling going to America would be a waste of his talent. He has just started playing first team football regularly again after three years of not playing much and America is still seen as a place to get a last pay day by most even if it is improving. It would be a shame after the season he has had for him to go to America but wouldn't criticise if it is for family reasons. We will have to wait and see but he is already the best left back I have seen in my 22 years of watching the Albion (by a mile) and one season from him is more than we could realistically expect so I suppose we enjoy the last 4/5 months of his loan and see what happens.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You are not wrong. And he may also be a reason for Bridge to stay, although Frankie may have more influence!

When Poyet joined three years, I don't think any of us could imagine having the likes of Bridge, Kuszczak and former La Liga players in our squad 3 years later. Obviously the ground and crowds have helped but I don't think that a British manager would have been able to sign a lot of these players for us.

For all the criticism Poyet gets for his signings, of the 8 this summer Kuszczak, Bruno, Bridge, Lopez, Orlandi and Hammond have all done well enough to be called good signings in my view and I am confident Crofts and maybe even Dobbie will come good. He has improved this side massively this season and hopefully results will reflect that more in the second half of the season.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I reckon Bridge would be more than happy to take £15kish a week. He is bloodly loaded and enjoying his football for the first time in years.

The biggest threat to him staying is his missus wanting to bloody live in LA.

The next contract is the opportunity for Bridge to get his retirement payday, whilst playing regular football (eg MLS) - that is very unlikely to be with us

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Why would a championship side sign a 33 year old on a 3 year contract ?
Look at it rationally, 3 years committed to paying a BIG salary, no sell on value, prone to injury, and probably a big signing on fee.
All this talk of loving it at Brighton, and doesn't need the money, what a load of old tosh ! What pro footballer doesn't play for the money ? How much would he drop from his £80 k weekly salary ?
My bet is he'll head off to the good old US of A, to help the Saturdays crack it there .

Dec 29, 2011
Why would a championship side sign a 33 year old on a 3 year contract ?
Look at it rationally, 3 years committed to paying a BIG salary, no sell on value, prone to injury, and probably a big signing on fee.
All this talk of loving it at Brighton, and doesn't need the money, what a load of old tosh ! What pro footballer doesn't play for the money ? How much would he drop from his £80 k weekly salary ?
My bet is he'll head off to the good old US of A, to help the Saturdays crack it there .

He's absolutely quality and I'm sure Gus would love to have him. Even up until 36 he'd be able to do a job. At the moment he's the physically fittest member of the squad and also very quick, he's not going to suddenly lose all of that in three years. Even if he does, he still has the positional awareness and technical ability to make that position his. It'd be great if he signed a three year deal, but sadly I can't see it happening. Playing on a muddy pitch every week away from your friends and family isn't as appealing as living in LA, playing occasionally and coming home to a SMOKING HOT girlfriend every day.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
He's absolutely quality and I'm sure Gus would love to have him. Even up until 36 he'd be able to do a job. At the moment he's the physically fittest member of the squad and also very quick, he's not going to suddenly lose all of that in three years. Even if he does, he still has the positional awareness and technical ability to make that position his. It'd be great if he signed a three year deal, but sadly I can't see it happening. Playing on a muddy pitch every week away from your friends and family isn't as appealing as living in LA, playing occasionally and coming home to a SMOKING HOT girlfriend every day.

I'm not doubting his ability , but the financial commitment for 3 years with no return on the outlay.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Does this FB poster live in Peacehaven? The people of Peacehaven are the only news outlet that I trust on all matters Brighton.

Dec 29, 2011
I'm not doubting his ability , but the financial commitment for 3 years with no return on the outlay.

I don't think that matters too much in this instance, we could use the profit we made off Noone, Bennett, Buckley, Bridcutt etc. to cover the cost of replacing him when the three years is up. We would never be able to get a left-back with Champions league and International experience if they were in the prime of their career, so we get him a little older for a lot cheaper with the downside being we get no money when he retires.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Would be great news, he's outstanding quality and so fit now he looks like he could play at the top for another 2-3 years comfortably.

Can't believe how pacey he is still.

Why are people surprised at fitness/speed at 32

Look at 2012 100m final - Gatlin, Gay & Powell are all 30 running well below 10s

Look at some marathon and ironman athletes, they're in their 40s

Just look at Giggs and Scholes. They still own the pitch.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Is Wayne Bridge a big enough name to earn a really huge pay packet in the MLS?

To be honest I don't think many teams will be keen on paying him Beckham/Henry/Keane level wages as he is unlikely to shift as many Bridge 28 replica shirts as those guys would.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I don't think that matters too much in this instance, we could use the profit we made off Noone, Bennett, Buckley, Bridcutt etc. to cover the cost of replacing him when the three years is up. We would never be able to get a left-back with Champions league and International experience if they were in the prime of their career, so we get him a little older for a lot cheaper with the downside being we get no money when he retires.

Based on his salary being £15 k a week = £ 780 k a year , total over 3 years £ 2.34 mill.
Factor in win bonuses, goal bonuses, etc... You could be paying over £3 mill ! ( not including signing on fee )
I know it's all guess work , but unless a club goes up or receive parachute payments, how can you justify paying that for a full back ?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Why are people surprised at fitness/speed at 32

Look at 2012 100m final - Gatlin, Gay & Powell are all 30 running well below 10s

Look at some marathon and ironman athletes, they're in their 40s

Just look at Giggs and Scholes. They still own the pitch.

Not only his pace but his alround committment, how many would have given up on the ball that led to the cross which created our first goal, look at how many players are just turning out for the sake of it, most of the Newcastle team yesterday. Wayne is on a huge salary and good for him, but we don't get all the baggage that comes with someone of that level, constantly injured, little effort, lack of interest, no commitment, more interetested in their hair style. Wayne Bridge is an example of how a true professional footballer should behave, if he stays for three more years and at the end of this period we get nothing for him so what, he will do his best to get us inot the prem, so stay with us Wayne your an example to all the younger players and will help to get us inot the prem within the next three years!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here