Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Bit of a difference in levels they are playing at though

Cox has scored 4 in 20 at Championship level with Nottingham forest. 1 in 5 up front
Barnes has scored 15 in 60 in the championship. 1 in 4 from midfield.

That's still a better ratio for Barnes. So same level, better ratio.

Better?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Barnes does EXACTLY what Gus tells him to do and does his role very well. down the left, right or through the middle. Gus trusts him to do what hes told, hes not going to go wandering inside like Dobbie and Hoskins have done when asked to play in a similar role.

He is a decent player and unlike CMS he can actually play Football. If Barnes had CMS's pace he would be one hell of a striker.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Cox has scored 4 in 20 at Championship level with Nottingham forest. 1 in 5 up front
Barnes has scored 15 in 60 in the championship. 1 in 4 from midfield.

That's still a better ratio for Barnes. So same level, better ratio.

Better?

Yeah, but how many lewd double entendres can you make with Barnes' name?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
4 goals in 18 starts from midfield

Cox has 4 goals in 16 starts UP FRONT.

You're not really blowing me out of the water with phenomenal pro-cox stats here....

No me neither really, he isn't doing as well as I thought this season neither are good enough to play in the Prem.

Kind of got off the point which is will Barnes play in the Prem, and answer is no, not good enough as a striker at this point in time and loads of championship players who are better in midfield if that's how you want to label him

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Simon Cox is a better striker than Barnes, end of and has a scoring record to prove it

Ashley Barnes does a very good role in a withdrawn striker position, either being asked to play on left or right and occasionally central midfield. As his role seems to be a supporting one rather than a creative one he does a good job. He hasn't got the ability to beat a player although he ability to hold the ball up and draw the foul is exceptional. The nearest comparison to the role he plays is Emnes perhaps ? While I like Barnes I don't view him through the rose tinted spectacles that some do, he is solid and unspectacular and while he fits in to our system and has a big part to making it work I don't see many other sides above us playing a system he would be as effective in.

I would love to see him as an out and out striker alongside CMS and or someone else as I believe that is the only way he will be able to prove his ability as a possible premiership player.

As for Murray, his season has no relevance on whether Ash can play at Prem level and I have never said whether Murray can or can't make the grade in the top division

Well I agree with much of that - except "rose tinted specs"- Gus had to defend him from booboys, and it's merciless on here regarding his inclusion.... supposedly undeserved.

The murray mention was drawn as a parallel simply because similar aspersions were cast on his abilities/skills.
Neither are Messis or Wards, but both do rack up the goals on a good day.
Service and positioning will affect their stats.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Well I agree with much of that - except "rose tinted specs"- Gus had to defend him from booboys, and it's merciless on here regarding his inclusion.... supposedly undeserved.

The murray mention was drawn as a parallel simply because similar aspersions were cast on his abilities/skills.
Neither are Messis or Wards, but both do rack up the goals on a good day.
Service and positioning will affect their stats.

Agreed many didn't think Murray would cut it, and last season those people would have been vindicated. Murray this season rather like the promotion season with us has shown he can score goals if given decent service.

Don't think I've ever been either pro or anti Barnes, when he is good he is very good ie Ipswich away and when he is bad he is anonymous despite some claiming he still works hard. I feel for him as I think he could be a good support striker rather than a player who sometimes I feel is sacrificed to make the system work.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Agreed many didn't think Murray would cut it, and last season those people would have been vindicated. Murray this season rather like the promotion season with us has shown he can score goals if given decent service.

Don't think I've ever been either pro or anti Barnes, when he is good he is very good ie Ipswich away and when he is bad he is anonymous despite some claiming he still works hard. I feel for him as I think he could be a good support striker rather than a player who sometimes I feel is sacrificed to make the system work.

I see what you are saying, but we don't employ Barnes like a Scholes or murray simply or only to collect balls in the middle or edge of the area.
A lot is asked of Barnes...or a lot is given, put another way.
We apparently cannot affofd TWO strikers in the same role as CMS, or I think Barnes' stats would increase.
Maybe given a simpler task he wouldn't be derided by any of our fans..."barn door" etc.
For me, Kaz and Nooney helped occupy left and central defenders - with Buckley working the other side well.
Gus doesn't often have both sides available or selected for whatever reason.
We don't consistently have a similar format - so I can see why other players aren't consistent either.

The mystery is in Gus Poyet's head to unlock, and like Cardiff and palace have proved with Noone and Murray, some players have potential not fully realised.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It can't be a coincidence that we play better with him in the team.
But why? (serious question)

I have, up until the last couple of games before his dropping, been the only person indifferent to Mr Barnes.
He didn't excite me, and certainly didn't fill me with the hateful bile like so many on here.
He was 'just' a Brighton player, I guess that's pretty damning.

I can see the impact of Orlandi, Dicker's presence on Saturday, I know Hammond/Crofts together is sh*te.

I just don't see what Barnes brings to the party, even though CMS seems happier with him about.

Dec 29, 2011
But why? (serious question)

I have, up until the last couple of games before his dropping, been the only person indifferent to Mr Barnes.
He didn't excite me, and certainly didn't fill me with the hateful bile like so many on here.
He was 'just' a Brighton player, I guess that's pretty damning.

I can see the impact of Orlandi, Dicker's presence on Saturday, I know Hammond/Crofts together is sh*te.

I just don't see what Barnes brings to the party, even though CMS seems happier with him about.

IMO he works as more of a box-to-box midfielder. People are still touting him as a striker but lets be honest, he hasn't played upfront properly in months. He breaks up play, can put in a hard tackle and occasionally wins headers (remember that BIG header on Saturday from the Newcastle corner?). He can sometimes do decent passes but that's not his game. However, when he does have a bad game he can be truly awful and it shows which is why it's easy to give him a lot of stick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here