Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm so glad that other teams didn't have a 'f*** it' attitude to our problems.

Its not the fans fault that previous people in charge f***ed up their club, just like it wasn't our fault that those ***** in the 90's sold our ground.

What they did was wrong but wishing they went out of existence is only going to make their fans the losers. The board will get new ways of making money, the players will find other clubs but the fans can't just move to another team.

The two situations were the same to start with but we did something about it - Pompey fans, despite knowing what was going on, didn't. Pompey robbed companies, charities and the tax payer of millions TWICE !!!!! We didn't.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Ali, we never, ever gave it the 'Big I am' during our troubles, we were humble, motivated and angry. There is little evidence that the majority or pompey fans can tick two of those three.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Don't get me wrong, I hate the club as much as the rest but not every fan is in the position to do something about it. We were lucky that we had a dedicated army of fans who could do something.

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't be wishing that other clubs go bust. We got lucky and survived, what would we all be doing now if we hadn't?

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Pompey I now using fratton park as there training ground..
Desperate as they can't afford the rent on training ground they have!!

Feel sorry for the fans, club but not sorry for big bosses who got them in this state, I.e. Harry Redknapp didn't help with his big transfers

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Don't get me wrong, I hate the club as much as the rest but not every fan is in the position to do something about it. We were lucky that we had a dedicated army of fans who could do something.

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't be wishing that other clubs go bust. We got lucky and survived, what would we all be doing now if we hadn't?

There is nothing lucky about protesting, campaigning and actually getting off your bum to do something about a situation. It's called not burying your head in the sand and Brighton fans can feel proud of their actions in the 90's and 00's.

Most Portsmouth fans have lived the high life well knowing that they were headed towards disaster but have done next to nothing to stop the madness. I don't feel much sympathy for them, their general attitude was one of live for today for tomorrow we die and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
There is a huge gulf between the situation of the two clubs and the attitudes of the respective fans.

A hardcore of Brighton fans saw the signs of mismanagement at owner / chairman level, didn't fall for the flimsy PR and challenged everything. Whereas Pompey fans were happy to ride the 'spend, spend, spend' rollercoaster for many years and didn't ask too many questions about where the money was coming from. The way in which their assets and finances were structured was a mess that succesive Chairmen / owners failed to resolve. To an outsider it was pretty obvious that they were piling up debts that couldn't be serviced. Worse still Pompey are serial offenders in terms of hoodwinking creditors and somehow fleecing the HMRC and therefore us the taxpayers. At no time until maybe the last 12 months have we heard any conspicuous noise from their fans about saving the Club. Too many of them preferred to spout the 'we're too big to be allowed to go out of business' and 'the FA won't let us fold', well the FA has given them various bits of very elastic string. There are still creditors waiting for their money. There is sympathy around footie for many Clubs and their fans that have faced oblivion (Plymouth, Wrexham etc) but there is little sympathy for Pompey as a Club.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There is a huge gulf between the situation of the two clubs and the attitudes of the respective fans.

A hardcore of Brighton fans saw the signs of mismanagement at owner / chairman level, didn't fall for the flimsy PR and challenged everything. Whereas Pompey fans were happy to ride the 'spend, spend, spend' rollercoaster for many years and didn't ask too many questions about where the money was coming from. The way in which their assets and finances were structured was a mess that succesive Chairmen / owners failed to resolve. To an outsider it was pretty obvious that they were piling up debts that couldn't be serviced. Worse still Pompey are serial offenders in terms of hoodwinking creditors and somehow fleecing the HMRC and therefore us the taxpayers. At no time until maybe the last 12 months have we heard any conspicuous noise from their fans about saving the Club. Too many of them preferred to spout the 'we're too big to be allowed to go out of business' and 'the FA won't let us fold', well the FA has given them various bits of very elastic string. There are still creditors waiting for their money. There is sympathy around footie for many Clubs and their fans that have faced oblivion (Plymouth, Wrexham etc) but there is little sympathy for Pompey as a Club.

Not to mention that even in the face of the second administration, there is still a notable contingent of fans who want to spend their way out of trouble and think short term aims to return the prem are the way to resolve their problems. When we were down, when plymouth were down, etc. the fans acknowledged that, and adapted their expectations accordingly. We didn't ask the local businesses we screwed to finance a move for a player who is too good for the division we're in so that we can bounce straight back up.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Now I almost appologise for dragging this thread to the top again, but the following quote from a Pompey Fan on twitter just about sums up why I and others dislike this club with a vengence.

Apparently the administrator has told four of their players that there contracts won't be renewed on the 15th January as a cost cutting measure. To which said fan tweeted:

Joe Michalczuk ‏@joemichalczuk
Are we as Pompey fans - as followers of a club of our stature in league one - going to accept asset stripping and cost cutting like this?

And people wonder why so many of us have so little time for them. :rant:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Surely that's a sign not only of the general head in the sand attitude of a large number of their fans but also that the person who tweeted is either a child or has a very small brain?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It has turned into a slow lingering death with no cure in sight. Oh well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here