Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official "Matthew Upson to Albion" thread [merged]

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Upson just needs games like Bridge did, he also has the added bonus of being left footed, naturally left sided centre halfs are hard to come by.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So lets get this right, we are in need of a defender and specifically a centre back that can use his head. I need to understand why Mathew Upson, who has spent his entire career battling some of the best forwards in the world, doesn't fit this bill. I understand he might not immediately play the 'Poyet way' but he was an England international, he must have a bit of a clue. Short term this is a good idea seeing as we are frail when it comes to high balls into the box. I can think of plenty of CB's around the world who are still playing at the top level despite lacking pace.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So lets get this right, we are in need of a defender and specifically a centre back that can use his head. I need to understand why Mathew Upson, who has spent his entire career battling some of the best forwards in the world, doesn't fit this bill. I understand he might not immediately play the 'Poyet way' but he was an England international, he must have a bit of a clue. Short term this is a good idea seeing as we are frail when it comes to high balls into the box. I can think of plenty of CB's around the world who are still playing at the top level despite lacking pace.

Like Carragher last night,,,,class.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Agree ... I guess the difficulty with these fellas at the end of their careers and dropping down a league is the degree to which they can be motivated to give it 100%. In saying that Bridge is a perfect example of how it can pay off, and I get the feeling that Upson isn't the sort to take the piss.

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
STOKE UPDATE

Stoke City defender Matthew Upson, veteran of 21 England caps, is close to signing for Brighton & Hove Albion, says Daily Telegraph football correspondent John Percy on Twitter.

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean
Will be good for AEA

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Seem to recall one Guy Butters doing a sterling job for us in his latter years, despite being severely lacking in the pace department. Got by thanks to instinctive good positioning and getting his head on everything. And with all due respect, Upson is a superior footballer. Bring him on.

AJBHA

Jan 27, 2013
London
Matthew upson? Do we really need another old player!

I'm sorry but Matthew upson is not what we need! Yes he's a centre back and we need one but he's old! We are become a team of old players that won't last.
We need to build for the future....

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I'm sorry but Matthew upson is not what we need! Yes he's a centre back and we need one but he's old! We are become a team of old players that won't last.

You are confusing need with our long term strategy. Our pursuit of van Dijk proves that.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Yes, a loanee who is a former England international and has a ton of premier league experience won't improve our backline

:facepalm:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
He has loads of caps though. :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here