Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Digital advertising for Saturday

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
The tweet does actually say its being installed for the Newcastle match so I think that it is a one off, for now! Personally I have no problem with it, if it increases revenue for potential transfer budgets what's the big deal?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I thought it was that as the hoardings are bigger you couldn't sell seats in the front four rows as the view would be obstructed.

The firm that do the CL hoardings are the same firm who made many of the other 'permanent' signs around the Amex (Not Graffiti Design, a company called Icon Displays in Sidcup). They have the contract for the CL and pre every match their crews and vans toddle off round Europe and obsure all the home teams stadium advertising with the UEFA CL advertising. Often this actually sits over the top of the digital advertising boards. Then the same night or following day it all comes down, back in the van, and off to the next stadium.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't think it's financially viable having them with so few tv fixtures?

Surprised to hear that it's compulsory in the Premier League- what different does it make to them?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Surprised to hear that it's compulsory in the Premier League- what different does it make to them?

When they were installed at Pride Park, the Derby board said that they pay for themselves in 1 year and be 'profitable' thereafter.....

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

Every Premier League game is broadcast live somewhere in the world, most are shown elsewhere in Europe live, so I guess there's plenty of reason to have global brands and web gambling sites on there, rather than Rainham Steel, Carpet-right, ABACAB Taxis and Shaffiques Local Tandoori.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Was always going to happen at some point, I guess this is an ITV thing

View attachment 38061

Phil, a most interesting pic.

Can you confirm whether or not these 'stands/whatever they are' continued onto North / South or even the West side.

Personally, I think they are the way to go in the future as more revenue and flexibility, but despite the associated costs of possible cancellation of some existing advertising contracts, it is difficult to imagine that such an installation would be temporary.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
What's the harm? If this was about the club selling its soul then we did that in the 50s or 60s or whenever it was that pithside hoardings went up. That horse has long since bolted. It's a bit like complaining about shirt sponsors.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Phil, a most interesting pic.

Can you confirm whether or not these 'stands/whatever they are' continued onto North / South or even the West side.

Personally, I think they are the way to go in the future as more revenue and flexibility, but despite the associated costs of possible cancellation of some existing advertising contracts, it is difficult to imagine that such an installation would be temporary.

Just the East, for the TV cameras, I expect they'll be gone for the next game.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I don't see the issue to be honest. The 'Big' companies prefer them and it will increase revenue by quite some way esp. if we got promoted. Found it odd we did not install them in the first place. I would much prefer that than those bloody awful half time TV ads on the big screens

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Who's advertising? Sunnyside Rest Home, Worthing ... Debbie's Hair Salon, Portslade? Could be interesting

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Dont they sit on just half the pitch, the other half is just normal advertising because its not seen by the cameras.

Yes, so us West-Standers will have an eye-sore all match :nono:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Could these be used to show the latest scores? Or match stats? Or tactical ideas?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
They should show classic ads (Rediffusion, Townsend Thoresen etc) during half-time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here