Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is there only one funny female comedian in the world?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This thread would be retarded to protozoa, but I'll bite.

Comedy is subjective; and clearly the point you are making is that YOU don't find any (or just one) woman funny. Statement v opinion, and it certainly isn't a qualified statement, so it's an opinion.

If anyone reading this thread doesn't find any woman, in stand-up, TV, film or sketch, funny, it says more about you than it does female comedians. Have a look at your relationship with women in general - family, colleagues, partners, friends - and work out if somewhere along that journey somebody treated a woman as a 2nd class citizen and you didn't see any reason to challenge this behaviour. And in there, somewhere, is the reason you don't find *any* women funny.

Sorry, don't buy it. I know you do stand-up and have some insight into this and probably feel obliged to stand up for your fellow comedians and I can respect this but in this case you are incorrect. I find some female character comedians funny but female stand-up? No, they just don't get how to be funny.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I Ain't bovered with your opinion face look face look bovered
What a load of old shit
Whittaker
Ok I'll do the jokes
The dirty bastards , curry goat in cleethorpes
What on earth are you insinuating me dear gay dear
Catherine Tate is catchphrase heaven

The gay dear, me dear is quite amusing. Strangely she has to dress as a man to be amusing.
Her follow up series after she went into the world of Little Britain catch phrase super stardom started well.

The whole first programme was building up to bovvered, and bearing in mind the whole country was saying it, she/they did well to make this sketch work:-

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Sorry, don't buy it. I know you do stand-up and have some insight into this and probably feel obliged to stand up for your fellow comedians and I can respect this but in this case you are incorrect. I find some female character comedians funny but female stand-up? No, they just don't get how to be funny.

This
I can honestly say Tate is the only women that ever made me laugh

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't know if it's because they lack the ease with which men feel in front of a crowd, or they feel uncomfortable or perhaps we don't like/are not used to seeing women being confident such as Joan Rivers, that it throws us, either way the effect is they aren't very funny. It's not even the jokes they are saying, it's th emanner, never seems to get it quite right.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
women aren't funny, I'm asking why.
Ugly men still want to have sex, so they have to make women laugh in order to stand a chance. Women only have to say 'maybe' to have sex, they don't need to be funny.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ugly men still want to have sex, so they have to make women laugh in order to stand a chance. Women only have to say 'maybe' to have sex, they don't need to be funny.

There is probably quite a lot in that,

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
I found Shappi Korsandi funny on live at the Apollo but on shows like mock the week and the like, it seems that the female comedians are never as funny as the male comedians. You can tell this from laughs in the crowd, in an objective way. I still find their jokes amusing but not at the same level. In the same way there are also some very poor male comedians but it's not a sexist matter.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
There a lot of shit comedians out there, both men and women. The pool of female comedians is smaller, so a bit unfair to compare. There are shit loads of unfunny male stand ups out there. Also female comedians can't really talk about the same subjects as male comedians, so they talk about other things.

The problem for me is that the female comedians i have seen aren't funny because the subject matter they talk about is unfunny to me.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Much like unfunny men on panel shows they usually have to be asked pre-planned questions in order them to get in there before the machomen take over. Female comedians seem less domineering and not quite so hungry for that attention. Other than Americans.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Tina Fey
Amy Poehler
Kristen Wiig
Melissa McCarthy
Nasim Pedrad
Vanessa Bayer
Kate McKinnon
Maya Rudolph
Jane Curtin
Portia de Rossi
Jennifer Saunders

A list of female comedians. I feel some are missing the point of this.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Maybe so in the world of stand up, but there's plenty of funny women working on the telebox / on stage (depending on your soh of course)

Victoria Wood
Kathy Burke
Dawn French
Miranda Hart
Jo Brand
Helen Atkinson Wood
Catherine Tate
Sandi Toksvig
Anna Crilly

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Rocian (can't remember her surname) , daisy Donovan, Jessica Stevens,and as someone else said issy Sutie, there is actually a few of them, also French and Saunders haven't had a bad career

A list of female comedians. I feel some are missing the point of this.

I've not missed your point.

You asked 'why is there only one funny female comedian in the world'. I offered a list of other comedians that are funny, they have awards and achievements to prove that. If only one on the list is funny than that disproves your initial statement.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Maybe so in the world of stand up, but there's plenty of funny women working on the telebox / on stage (depending on your soh of course)

Victoria Wood
Kathy Burke
Dawn French
Miranda Hart
Jo Brand
Helen Atkinson Wood
Catherine Tate
Sandi Toksvig
Anna Crilly

Yes, I could agree with that. Many female comedians are much better in just general conversation than they are in stand-up. Sandi Toksvig, very funny at times.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I've not missed your point.

You asked 'why is there only one funny female comedian in the world'. I offered a list of other comedians that are funny, they have awards and achievements to prove that. If only one on the list is funny than that disproves your initial statement.

My dear fellow, with the greatest respect, there is a vast chasm of difference between what the general public find amusing and what is actually funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here