Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we be talking to Argentina about the Falklands?

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I wondered what was going on when it didn't come on at 8.30.

I read the Guardian and vote Labour, and why not? But I don't think we should discuss this with Argentina. We just politely tell them to sod off. Or better still, ignore them.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
negotiations to what end? the Argies have one position, it should be returned to them. they wont accept anything else. meanwhile, putting aside the contentious history of 180 years ago, the current inhabitants (from many generations) have another position, that they remain British. stalemate. at some point in the discussion someone will say that the UK didnt care about the islands in the 60's and 70's actually become open to them being returned. the problem was, those inhabitants didnt want to become Argentinians, so nothing happened. in the end there is nothing to negotiate unless we scrap the ideal of a peoples right to self determination, then where will that lead?

Okay, maybe negotiation isn't the right word. Talks should be opened rather than an outright refusal, the talk can just be lipservice and we can get someone with more diplomatic skills that Cameron to ever so politely tell them to piss off?

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
The Falkland Islands are British! End of!! 255 British men and women were killed during the Falklands war and for that reason alone we should think long and hard before we enter any form of talks!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The Falkland Islands are British! End of!! 255 British men and women were killed during the Falklands war and for that reason alone we should think long and hard before we enter any form of talks!

Not really a good argument considering 750 Argentinians died. But hey. I don't think who has the highest body count should be the deciding factor.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Went down there in 82,lost several friends,went back in 84,to find all junior ratings were banned from every pub in Stanley,there's gratitude for you.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Falkland Islands
part of the British Commonwealth
the islanders like it that way
discussions ........................................NO
end of

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Went down there in 82,lost several friends,went back in 84,to find all junior ratings were banned from every pub in Stanley,there's gratitude for you.

Not very good. Perhaps we should give it back and let 'em get on with it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
We should discuss it. The answer can still be an unequivocable NO. Refusing to talk about such matters canlead to disaster. However, I really think this will blow over (famous last words).

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not really a good argument considering 750 Argentinians died. But hey. I don't think who has the highest body count should be the deciding factor.
Why isn't it a good argument ? In case you hadn't noticed , this is a website in Britain[/B], used mainly by British people , discussing British policy. I dont know about you but while all deaths are sad, I place a higher value on the life of a British serviceman or woman than I do a foreign one .

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Not very good. Perhaps we should give it back and let 'em get on with it.

I agree that is shit! Certainly there was a time when the locals had 'short' memories! Certainly the younger ones! That said, those who remember the conflict have nothing but gratitude for the military both past and present!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

But, we lost thousands of men and women protecting our empire around the world, so that arguement doesn't stack up.

I have no real view over the Falklands to be honest. It just seems very strange in this day and age that we rule a set of islands at the other end of the world . Historically w eoccupied the islands back in 1690 as a base to control shiping around Cape Horn...after giving it up following the American Revolutionary war to teh Spanish ( and then French) we forcibly took it back in 1833. So the islands are just part of our old imperialistic past.

I would be interested to know what people would think if the Isle of White were owned by Argentina and the people on the island were happy to be Argentinian and we invaded the island, expelled the garrison and declared it to be part of the british isles

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Falklanders hold their referendum in March on staying as an overseas territory of the UK. That is why the Argentinians want to negotiate a settlement before then.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
....or Jersey and the channel islands for that matter.

Kempo

Nov 3, 2012
I do remember and my father was a naval diver, recovering bodies from the coast, My uncle was a rescue diver and many friends of theirs did their part. Don't be so quick to assume things. All the more reason to open negotiations so we don't end up sending another generation over there don't you agree?

What does your Dad think? I'm not in favour of sending anyone over at all, plus Argentina have virtually no military capability anyway these days. I don't mean to sound like I'm making assumptions, but almost none of this thread from anybody makes any reference to the efforts and sacrifices of the British military and I find that very sad. I take it from your last post that you don't really believe in negotiating the islands back to Argentina. Hats off to your to your family.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I place a higher value on the life of a British serviceman or woman than I do a foreign one .

That's only because of the accident of where you happen to be born. I dare say if you were born in Argentina, your perspective would likely to be very different.

However, the wider point is that there are legitimate reasons why the Falklands are British, many of which have been mentioned in this thread, and they stand freely and strongly even if no Brits died in the conflict.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What does your Dad think? I'm not in favour of sending anyone over at all, plus Argentina have virtually no military capability anyway these days. I don't mean to sound like I'm making assumptions, but almost none of this thread from anybody makes any reference to the efforts and sacrifices of the British military and I find that very sad. I take it from your last post that you don't really believe in negotiating the islands back to Argentina. Hats off to your to your family.

Thanks .I don't have contact with my Dad, I do however know that it is highly likely his alcoholism was likely down to PTSD. Coincidentally enough I am currently researching and speaking to people who have treated ex-service men with PTSD and one ex service man himself for a job I am doing and after seeing what has happened to some of these men I would advocate a subtle but firm NO on the Argie situation, carefuly engineered to avoid conflict.

Unfortunately we have 2 generations of service men returning from the middle East over the next few years. A timebomb of drug addiction, homelessness, broken families and mental illness that the M.O.D will sweep firmly under the carpet.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

That's their own fault for invading in the first place. It was done to draw attention away from human rights and economic issues in Argentina, which many people were dying anyway. If the Falklanders want to be Argentinian, then so be it. If not, Argentina can do one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here