Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we be talking to Argentina about the Falklands?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
P.S. I think it's significant that Argentina is now run by a democratically elected government, not a junta as in the 1980s. The offensive way you describe the country does your argument no credit.
Erm, it IS third world and it HAS been run by juntas in the past. If you're getting offended by that then I suspect you're looking too hard for things to be offended about.

Incidentally, I don't dislike Argentinians at all, and of all the countries I want to visit in the world, I'd say Argentina was in my top 3.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
In all seriousness we should talk and this should be pointed out to the Argies

"Yes, we can see why you may want to talk about this issue. However, the peopleon the island right now are happy, you do not need extra land for your populace, there is no urgent need for that land other than you need oil to boost your economy as we do. Unfortunately we had a fight over it and we won, now the world is in meltdown and we have better things to concentrate on, for example I need to go and jettison 7 million of my fellow Britons into abject poverty, perhaps you could try talking when this shit government has crept back under the rock where we belong and a more reasonable government is in power". Summat along those lines.

Oh and it started so well .......

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I take it you don't remember it happening then and didn't know anyone who fought in it either?

I do remember and my father was a naval diver, recovering bodies from the coast, My uncle was a rescue diver and many friends of theirs did their part. Don't be so quick to assume things. All the more reason to open negotiations so we don't end up sending another generation over there don't you agree?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
[yt]40knj0qg_Us[/yt]

On a related note, this documentary about the Black Buck I raid is well worth a watch if you're interested in such things. Given the time constraints it doesn't go into the detail of the book "Vulcan 607" by Rowland White on the same subject, but it gives you an appreciation of the effort (in the case of the Black Buck raids in particular it was an IMMENSE effort - the longest bombing raid in history at the time) we were prepared to go to to defend the Falklands.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oh and it started so well .......

You mean you agreed with the start and not the second part. Put it this way, the conservative government is not going to negotiate, fair enough at this point in time but we want to be careful, who really want to go to war over there. Perhaps a deadline for talks in 15 years or so, we can still tell them to do one after that. Personally I think it's a bit of a non story, it'll flare up here and there and come to nothing I hope.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
In all seriousness we should talk and this should be pointed out to the Argies

"Yes, we can see why you may want to talk about this issue. However, the peopleon the island right now are happy, you do not need extra land for your populace, there is no urgent need for that land other than you need oil to boost your economy as we do. Unfortunately we had a fight over it and we won, now the world is in meltdown and we have better things to concentrate on, for example I need to go and jettison 7 million of my fellow Britons into abject poverty, perhaps you could try talking when this shit government has crept back under the rock where we belong and a more reasonable government is in power". Summat along those lines.

they need to sort zimbabwe out first........:moo:

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Erm, it IS third world and it HAS been run by juntas in the past. If you're getting offended by that then I suspect you're looking too hard for things to be offended about.

Incidentally, I don't dislike Argentinians at all, and of all the countries I want to visit in the world, I'd say Argentina was in my top 3.

It was 'third world doghouse' I objected to, but don't worry I won't tell Ullua when we sign him :)

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009

It was 'third world doghouse' I objected to, but don't worry I won't tell Ullua when we sign him :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
All the more reason to open negotiations so we don't end up sending another generation over there on't you agree?

negotiations to what end? the Argies have one position, it should be returned to them. they wont accept anything else. meanwhile, putting aside the contentious history of 180 years ago, the current inhabitants (from many generations) have another position, that they remain British. stalemate. at some point in the discussion someone will say that the UK didnt care about the islands in the 60's and 70's actually become open to them being returned. the problem was, those inhabitants didnt want to become Argentinians, so nothing happened. in the end there is nothing to negotiate unless we scrap the ideal of a peoples right to self determination, then where will that lead?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

image_thumb7.png

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
negotiations to what end? the Argies have one position, it should be returned to them. they wont accept anything else. meanwhile, putting aside the contentious history of 180 years ago, the current inhabitants (from many generations) have another position, that they remain British. stalemate. at some point in the discussion someone will say that the UK didnt care about the islands in the 60's and 70's actually become open to them being returned. the problem was, those inhabitants didnt want to become Argentinians, so nothing happened. in the end there is nothing to negotiate unless we scrap the ideal of a peoples right to self determination, then where will that lead?

There's plenty of room for negotiation, e.g. Islanders remain British but oil revenue shared. Theoretically there was no middle ground in northern Ireland but the negotiations have been a success.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You mean you agreed with the start and not the second part. Put it this way, the conservative government is not going to negotiate, fair enough at this point in time but we want to be careful, who really want to go to war over there. Perhaps a deadline for talks in 15 years or so, we can still tell them to do one after that. Personally I think it's a bit of a non story, it'll flare up here and there and come to nothing I hope.

Yep ..... agree with some of your thoughts, however talking wouldnt positively effect any likely longer term outcome.

Politically, talking could only be a sign that we might consider handing them over at sometime, that might encourage this and future Argentinians leaders to keep this as an ever evolving ambition, which could then escalate at sometime.

I suspect there is no middle ground here for the Argentinians, so what is there to talk about, its a long way to go just to say 'NO'.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There's plenty of room for negotiation, e.g. Islanders remain British but oil revenue shared. Theoretically there was no middle ground in northern Ireland but the negotiations have been a success.

Jeeeeezus Christ, Waynflete, why you going around giving away our stuff ???

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Jeeeeezus Christ, Waynflete, why you going around giving away our stuff ???

He loves Argentina's hot PM. Mind you, I don't blame him!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here