Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings v Ipswich (A)

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Just got back, I spent more time singing and enjoying the game as a spectacle than analysing each individual performance, but here goes:

Kuszczak - 7.5. Solid, good distribution and didn't really have a lot to do today.

Lopez - 7.5. Cracking performance to be fair, at times I forgot that he isn't supposed to be a right back.
Greer - 8. Commanding on the ground and in the air. Much better than some other performances of late.
El-Abd - 7.5. Equally as solid as Greer, but I feel his antics will cost us some time...
Bridge - 8. Didn't see as much attacking down the wing as we have done before, but great defensively and a nice goal. I'm still not sure how it managed to beat Henderson, it felt like it was in slow motion.

Hammond - 8. Great showing today, good passing and a good goal. It's nice to get a goal from a corner for once!
Orlandi - 8.5. Awesome, quite frankly. His set pieces are becoming increasingly more valuable and his passing and touches were super slick today.
Bridcutt - 8.5. He amazes me every week with his strength, passing, calmness and consistency.
Lualua - 7. Didn't get much of a chance to shine today, but pretty good I thought.

Barnes - 8.5. Cracking performance from Ash today, I hope that everyone can start to see what he brings to the team. His hold up play is really improving. A great ball through to assist Mackail-Smith.
Mackail-Smith - 8.5. Unrelenting and a clinical finish for his goal. Well taken.

----------

Dicker - 8. Great passing and movement with a dash of flair! I can really see why Gus likes him. Great vision to set up Bridge.
Hoskins - 7. Showed some good movement, but I think he rushed himself a bit. Could've quite easily scored a couple despite coming on late. Can't wait for him to hit some form.
Dobbie - n/a. Only on for 5 minutes plus added time, not enough time to create an impression really.

Difficult to award Man of the Match to a single player, you could probably give it to any of Bridcutt, Barnes, Orlandi or Mackail-Smith, but I'm inclined to award it to Barnes.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Interesting how people see individual performances differently isnt it. I don't have time to go as in depth as the OP has becuase i'm trying to eat a pizza before it goes cold BUT.....

Kooshak 7 (if i did .5's he'd get 7.5) Wasnt tested as such but still was quite busy and did everything with calm.
Lopez 7 Good performance in what must be an unusual position for him. Gave ball away a couple of times with dodgy passes (think he did this v Watford aswell).
Greer 7 Solid performance and looked back to his best although for some reason i'm still not convinced he is a top championship centre half.
El Abd 8 Solid as a rock but i had my heart in my mouth a few times as he was all over their striker continuously and would have put money on him getting sent off!
Bridge 8 Class. Good well taken goal and its nice to see someone having a shot from distance. Not very attack minded today but he did his job with class.

Hammond 9 Would be great to have him back permenantly. Can't see Crofts getting back in the team after today. Not sure why he gets stick on here. MOTM.
Bridcutt 9 Nothing to say really.
Orlandi 6 I thought he had a quiet game today. Nothing wrong, but he's not yet found his pre-injury form yet. Good job form is temp, class is permenant.

LuaLua 6 Again did nothing wrong but they clearly set out to stifle him and were sucessful. Good decision by Gus to change things and take him off.
Barnes 8 Great all round game today. I cant make my mind up with him. One week i think he's shit, the next he's class.
CMS 8 See above. Ran around lots, ran into dead ends, played pretty much as he does every week when we slag him off. Except he scored today.

Feel sorry for Hoskins today, i'm sure he was about to put the ball in the back of the net then Barnes tackled him. bit strange really but just bad luck. Dobbie didnt touch the ball i dont think. He's a waste of space.

Last edited:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Cant be arsed with a detailed review but briefly:

P.I.G: 7 - Not a great deal to do, but what he did he did well.

Spanish Dave: 7.5 - Looked like a right back, for someone playing out of position to do that, suggests a good performance.

Greer: 7.5 - won most headers, very solid.

El abd: 8.5 - Won EVERYTHING, some trademark blocks on numerous occasions from goal bound shots. Pushed it close to giving away a penalty for shirt pulling/GBH, but until he gets punished for it he deserves high marks.

Bridge: 8.5 - A class above, and is easy to tell.

Orlandi: 7 - Solid, neat passing, if not as influential as in other games.

Hammond: 8.5 - Cracking game, great run for the goal.

Bridcutt: 9 - Superb. Simply, superb. If a Norwich scout made the short trip today, then he is off, because anyone turning him down on today's performance would need checking over.

Lua Lua: 7 - Wasn't able to get himself involved much going forward, but not through lack of effort. Tracked back VERY well, some key interceptions.

Barnes: 8 - one of his better games, played well!

CMS: 8.5 - Superb. Caused endless problems, stopped Ipswich playing it around at the back, and a cracking finish. Scored a second which wasn't offside too.

Subs: Dicker 7.5, Hoskins 5 (just isn't happening sadly), Dobbie given no time to impact.

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
CMS: 8.5 - Superb. Caused endless problems, stopped Ipswich playing it around at the back, and a cracking finish. Scored a second which wasn't offside too.

Eh? ???

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

He was played through, finished the chance because didn't hear the whistle go (keeper was playing on too from what it seemed). Lino flagged for offside, but there is NO WAY that he was, he timed his run perfectly.

Was in the second half.

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
He was played through, finished the chance because didn't hear the whistle go (keeper was playing on too from what it seemed). Lino flagged for offside, but there is NO WAY that he was, he timed his run perfectly.

Was in the second half.

That seems to have evaded my memory. I'll wait for the highlights tomorrow :p

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Poor response for this week. Only 3 ratings, and only two for the subs. Still...

Average player ratings:

Bridcutt 8.83
Hammond 8.50
Mackail-Smith 8.33 (87mins)
Barnes 8.17
Bridge 8.17
El Abd 8.00
Greer 7.50
David Lopez 7.33
Kuszczak 7.17
Orlandi 7.17 (81mins)
Lualua 6.67 (56mins)