Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the 'Five Year Plan' to reach the Premier League a myth?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's talked about on NSC as if it's a living, breathing document with comments around whether we are on schedule etc. However, is there any evidence that such a plan exists?

All I can find is the statement by Poyet that getting into Premier League is a 'goal'. Which is rather different from a plan. And although it mentions five years, it's not even the case that it's promotion within five years or Gus is leaving. To quote him:

Reaching the Premier League is now the ultimate target, be that with Brighton or someone else.

He intends to reach that level sooner rather than later and, having represented Chelsea with distinction during his playing days, has refused to rule out a return to Stamford Bridge.

"Yes, perhaps. But I'm not in a hurry," Poyet told The Independent.

"That doesn't mean when I'm 72, but not tomorrow. Five years would be better than 10, but anyway I'm convinced that it's possible with Brighton.

"If the aim were not the Premiership, I'd already be gone. But the chairman (Tony Bloom) wants the same as me."

Poyet fancies Blues post | Chelsea News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

I have no problem with what Poyet says here, especially as he doesn't talk about it as a 'plan.'

It seems a bit presumptuous to plan for when promotion will happen especially as a season will throw up lots of circumstances and events (injuries, revenue, loss of form of players, unexpected successes) that are very difficult to predict 2, 3 or 4 years in advance.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
It's talked about on NSC as if it's a living, breathing document with comments around whether we are on schedule etc. However, is there any evidence that such a plan exists?

All I can find is the statement by Poyet that getting into Premier League is a 'goal'. Which is rather different from a plan. And although it mentions five years, it's not even the case that it's promotion within five years or Gus is leaving. To quote him:

Reaching the Premier League is now the ultimate target, be that with Brighton or someone else.

He intends to reach that level sooner rather than later and, having represented Chelsea with distinction during his playing days, has refused to rule out a return to Stamford Bridge.

"Yes, perhaps. But I'm not in a hurry," Poyet told The Independent.

"That doesn't mean when I'm 72, but not tomorrow. Five years would be better than 10, but anyway I'm convinced that it's possible with Brighton.

"If the aim were not the Premiership, I'd already be gone. But the chairman (Tony Bloom) wants the same as me."

Poyet fancies Blues post | Chelsea News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

I have no problem with what Poyet says here, especially as he doesn't talk about it as a 'plan.'

It seems a bit presumptuous to plan for when promotion will happen especially as a season will throw up lots of circumstances and events (injuries, revenue, loss of form of players, unexpected successes) that are very difficult to predict 2, 3 or 4 years in advance.

Its the expected target set by bloom at the start of Poyets reign.. If we are in the prem within 5 years then its worked, if were not then we set new targets to achieve our goals....

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The 5 years would end in 2014, so promotion next season is a must - if not this season of course, looking at the clubs who could come down* - it will be bloody harder next season than this season too.

* - Not really concerned about clubs being promoted from L1, none of them are particuarly great except maybe Sheffield United.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't think promotion, while desirable in so many ways, cannot really be described as a 'must' unless a club has overspent and see Premier League revenue as a way of recouping it (which doesn't necessarily work considering the wage bill!)

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Its the expected target set by bloom at the start of Poyets reign.. If we are in the prem within 5 years then its worked, if were not then we set new targets to achieve our goals....

My point is that is there any evidence that Bloom has said 'I expect you to lead us to the Premier League in five years'? Or it just conjecture that has got repeated so many times on NSC that people treat it as gospel?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My view (others are available, but wrong) is that the academy is more important than promotion.
Promotion at a time when we're not ready for it will likely mean a season playing the top teams, getting beaten a lot and ultimately relegation.
Get the academy up and running, start bringing talented youngsters through and we will benefit from producing the occasional quality player who will produce the goods for us and bring us in a tidy sum when/if we sell them.
Put simply, the academy is our future and having it will give us a sustainable structure in both playing and financial terms.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If we have a five year plan (and i would be stunned if we didn't) i suspect it may not be as simple as 'We must be in the premiership in 5 years'.

I would think that amongst many things will be 5 years of League Position, Player Purchases and Sales, Crowd numbers, Turnover, Profit, Development squad etc etc etc.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You can only have a meaningful five year plan for off-pitch activities e.g. 40K capacity, new training ground etc. On-field 'plans' and 'projects' are just so much bullshit and invariably come unstuck for one reason or another, unless you are very lucky. 'Wishlist' would be a better word.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here