Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Crofts Reveals Zola Influence

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Andrew Crofts explains the influence Gianfranco Zola had on him as an aspiring professional...
Albion midfielder Andrew Crofts is likely to line up against Gianfranco Zola’s Watford side at the Amex this evening, with the former Chelsea schoolboy revealing the influence that the Italian magician had on him.
The Welsh international was with the Blues' youth set-up until the age of 15, during which time Zola was a first-team regular alongside Albion boss Gus Poyet, and he got to see the now-Hornets manager at close quarters.
He told seagulls.co.uk, "When I was at Chelsea I watched him train a lot and when I was ball-boy for the games at Stamford Bridge I got to see him in games and he was unreal. He always excited me and he was one of the players on the pitch you knew was going to do something special.
“When I was there he was one of the best players I’d ever seen. He had all the ability in the world, he was a little magician. I remember watching him and the gaffer play together and they were a special pair with a great understanding.
“But he was also very professional and used to look after himself off the pitch; I remember seeing Zola after training when he took his top off and he was ripped. It was important for me to see that and despite having all the ability in the world, he still looked after himself and worked so hard on his fitness.
“It was then that I realised how important it is to keep yourself fit and healthy to become the best player possible, and to prolong your career. He was only small but so strong.”
The 28-year-old believes that the two managers’ philosophy will make for an interesting game at the Amex, and with just three points between the two sides Crofts is excited about the clash in front of the Sky Sports cameras.
“We beat Watford earlier in the season, when I wasn’t playing, but the boys have told me how good they were when we played them. They have a lot of quality players and are very dangerous so we will have to make sure we are on our toes.
“Watford had their game called off on Boxing Day so they have had a break like us, and they are going to be as lively as us. If we beat them we could go above them so it’s a massive game for us.
“We haven’t had a game for a while so we are all looking forward to the challenge. I’ve had a really good Christmas and can’t wait for the upcoming games. After being out for seven weeks earlier in the season I’m getting back to my best, I feel fresh and want to play.
“Zola will like to get his side playing and that’s the same with our gaffer. It should make for an interesting game. Let’s hope it is, although sometimes it doesn’t work out like that.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here