Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet targets a "proper No. 9" [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Poyet targets a "proper No. 9"[/h] 9:00am Saturday 29th December 2012 in Albion By Andy Naylor
Gus Poyet wants a "proper No.9" to ram home Albion's dominance at The Amex
Gus Poyet reckons Albion can turn The Amex back into a fortress by landing “a proper No. 9”.
A target man with aerial power remains top of Poyet’s shopping list in the January sales.
He believes it could make all the difference to their home form and promotion prospects.
Albion bid for only their fifth Championship win out of 13 at home against Watford in front of the Sky cameras (5.20pm).
They have repeatedly failed to turn superiority into points in front of their own supporters.
Poyet said: “When you get a team on the back foot at The Amex and you are putting balls in the box and crossing from wide areas and winning lots of corners, I think you need someone who can win the ball in the air in the box – and that’s a proper No. 9.
“Sometimes managers, after three or four chances, say if you cannot score you cannot win games.
“Three or four? They are having a laugh. Come to The Amex and see how many we create, then they would know how it feels to be frustrated.
“In some of the games it was unbelievable, scary. That’s what we need to change.
“I hope we can keep performing the same way but finish the chances. I am confident if we maintain our level and work well in recruiting in January we have got a chance.
“I am not over-confident, because other teams are going to buy as well. There is going to be plenty of movement.”
Meanwhile, The Argus understands Albion’s fringe midfielder Ryan Harley will join MK Dons on loan for the rest of the season when the transfer window opens. Harley, 27, has not played for the first team since the end of August.
The Seagulls are also in talks with out-of-favour midfielder Matt Sparrow over a compensation package for the six months remaining on his contract.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
"A proper no. 9" ...... that would be nice change from the waster who currently occupies the no. 9 shirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here