Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewart Lee

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I did, he is absolutely brilliant. I love how marmite he is, you get it or you don't. The jungle canyon rope bridges skit is possibly his cleverest ever. :lolol:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Haven't seen the DVD, but I love the song "Spring Hall Convert". Would love to go to ATP, but probably won't. Sorry - I'm a bit off-topic aren't I?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I did, he is absolutely brilliant. I love how marmite he is, you get it or you don't. The jungle canyon rope bridges skit is possibly his cleverest ever. :lolol:

you really think so? I think you can certainly 'get' Stewart Lee without thinking he is some sort of genius or canonising him. A very talented and bright man yes, but I am sure (and he has gently alluded to in the past for comedic effect) that he is well aware he has more than his fair share of pseud-y fans.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I will be purchasing this DVD in the New Year. I am a big fan of his.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Never even heard about this! After an exhausting Boxing day search we ended up with some beige shag pile from Carpet Right.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Haven't seen the DVD, but I love the song "Spring Hall Convert". Would love to go to ATP, but probably won't. Sorry - I'm a bit off-topic aren't I?

I'll be there, can't wait for the Cryptograms show. Haven't seen them for a couple of years & they've not failed me yet.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
you really think so? I think you can certainly 'get' Stewart Lee without thinking he is some sort of genius or canonising him. A very talented and bright man yes, but I am sure (and he has gently alluded to in the past for comedic effect) that he is well aware he has more than his fair share of pseud-y fans.

Agreed. I "get" him but find him painfully smug.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My brother very kindly bought me tickets for this earlier in the year. My girlfriend went too. She still has doubts over her English - and no she's not from Yeovil but another foreign land - but actually cried with laughter during some bits of it. Very very funny indeed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Richard Herring's take on Stewart Lee, is usually very funny:-

'He'll never sell out and play a stadium, but he'll play The Leicester Sq Theatre for 30 night, to more people with less overheads'.

'He says terrible things on stage that he agrees with, but says it's his on stage persona talking and everyone believes him'.

There's plenty more that I can't quite remember at the moment.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Agreed. I "get" him but find him painfully smug.

not him so much as some of his fan base. I always think hes very self aware and understands completely who he appeals to sometimes. In an ideal world we would have far more Stewart Lees, he does raise the bar quite considerably and for that we should be grateful.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
He's looks like what Morrissey would look like if he ate meat. To me, just as sneery and just as marmite (don't like Morrissey, SL or indeed, Marmite)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
He's looks like what Morrissey would look like if he ate meat. To me, just as sneery and just as marmite (don't like Morrissey, SL or indeed, Marmite)

as bequiffed national treasures go, Stewart Lee eclipsed his style guru a long time ago in terms of humour and charm.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Richard Herring's take on Stewart Lee, is usually very funny:-

'He'll never sell out and play a stadium, but he'll play The Leicester Sq Theatre for 30 night, to more people with less overheads'.

'He says terrible things on stage that he agrees with, but says it's his on stage persona talking and everyone believes him'.

There's plenty more that I can't quite remember at the moment.

They're good mates; think they went to Uni together or something.

I was actually at the L Sq Th a year ago at this gig for about 50/75 people and whilst not a fan of his (RH is funnier IMO) he was entertaining.
Nice venue, easier to get a beer, unlike the larger ones like the Hammersmith Apollo.

not him so much as some of his fan base. I always think hes very self aware and understands completely who he appeals to sometimes. In an ideal world we would have far more Stewart Lees, he does raise the bar quite considerably and for that we should be grateful.

Whilst at above gig, he had a moment when he scoured the room looking at people (like me) who weren't rolling about in the aisles, fawning over every quip, and commented that they're was a fair chunk of the audience who aren't used to him/regulars.

6/10 - Wouldn't make an effort to go again. :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They're good mates; think they went to Uni together or something.
Not to mention their double act, their radio series', their TV series' culminating in This Morning With Richard Not Judy.
The most bizarre hour of live programming the BBC has ever scheduled on Sunday mornings.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Not to mention their double act, their radio series', their TV series' culminating in This Morning With Richard Not Judy.
The most bizarre hour of live programming the BBC has ever scheduled on Sunday mornings.

:laugh: 14 odd year's ago - Can't believe i missed that, being a big fan and all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here