Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meeting with Paul Barber/Martrin Perry/Paul Camillin last night re safe standing

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Interesting it was too. Mark (Ian Baird's Fist) was there as well. Previous to our meeting he'd been up lobbying Parliament - the most important aspect of the campaign of course, since for anything to happen changes have to be made in legislation.

Arguments against were the obvious ones, top of the list from both PB and MP seemed to me to be the 'identifiable individual in identifiable seat' line
and the allied 'more potential trouble in standing area' one. MP did actually say something along the lines of 'it's a sad fact that the majority has to suffer because of the actions of a minority'
I did of course point out that town centres aren't shut down on Friday and Saturday night because a few people cause trouble, the troublemakers are dealt with, that safe standing
works fine in Germany with full support from the German FA (and in most other European countries) and that - as I'm sure you know - thirteen English clubs are now backing the idea, with Aston Villa leading the way in the PL.
We've been through the debate on here, I think everyone knows where they stand (or sit) now, the same debate happened last night with the club so no need to go much further on the arguments back and forth.
One interesting variation was that Paul Barber said 'it's people who make an atmosphere, regardless of whether they are standing or sitting' and when I mentioned the colour and noise in Germany and elsewhere 'you can't compare it, it's a different culture' (not to me it's not, it's a part of fan culture, regardless of where you live..but there you go)

Very friendly meeting, the channels are still well and truly open, respect for us and the part we played in what we've got now is absolutely still there, PB seems a nice bloke who can handle being energetically argued with :)

Conclusion as I see it is this:

- Club NOT prepared to back it in principle, but not opposed to other clubs backing it in principle. Everything being discussed as per the situation now, nothing dismissed out of hand, if/when the situation changes and other clubs start implementing it then it's a different discussion and that is accepted. (We are obviously in a pretty unique position in this debate having just nearly completed a beautiful state of the art stadium, it's a weird time to start talking about alterations...)
- Incidentally NO increased revenue through increased North Stand capacity since loads of other factors including size and number of exits, number of toilets and various other safety issues mean accomodation would remain the same as a standing area (hence decreased prices would mean lower revenue)

I brought up the subject of the ticket exchange as well. Reasons are:
- maximising revenue - ie until we are completely sold out the club should be selling tickets not individual fans (I can see their argument, not sure it's entirely fair but it's a valid one)
- that 'identifiable individual in identifiable seat' business again

I did mention the whole issue of ticket prices, the fact that some people, including some who played a big part in the battle for our club, simply can't afford to go as much as they would like, and how that squared with 'inclusivity'. Outside of the staggered payments provision, to be honest, there didn't seem to be much interest in addressing that. But the ridiculously high ticket prices here affect everyone, not just us, I guess....

All in all a worthwhile couple of hours, shame the youth team got tonked, that Stoke No 9 looked useful

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So clearly the club believe they have the ticketing price right at present including the Newcastle game.

Think it may come back to haunt them

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Attila, I have to say this...it sounds as if every single serious issue that you have raised, reflecting some serious concerns from fans (pricing/ticket exchange greed/standing), has been politely rejected/thown out/kicked into the long grass. It's like a Sir Humphrey Appleby masterclass from Barber and Perry. Reading your report back, can you see that?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Attila, I have to say this...it sounds as if every single serious issue that you have raised, reflecting some serious concerns from fans (pricing/ticket exchange greed/standing), has been politely rejected/thown out/kicked into the long grass. It's like a Sir Humphrey Appleby masterclass from Barber and Perry. Reading your report back, can you see that?

I don't doubt that and it is hardly surprising is it.

Revenues are way ahead of what was forecast I believe

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Serious issue ?

Some people can't afford £30 a month. So what, the club is not a charity, if people cannot spare £30 a month for a season ticket, then they have greater priorities in life they should be worrying about.

Standing, who should pay for the alterations for this? Why would the club want to start massive re-building, ripping out something they just spent £100m+ on, within 3 years or so of the finished article?

I agree Newcastle might show they have pushed it too far and should have bought them down a bit, but they are not massively wild. I paid £28 for my usual seat, but that is pretty much what I had expected for a Premiership side in the FA Cup, so no drama.

If I was a fan of another club, I'd be pissing myself at some of the reactions on this board.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
But weren't the running costs far above what was expected also?

I think they were however aren't there less staff now ?

I suspect however with the cock up on the catering front there may now be a shortfall

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If I was a fan of another club, I'd be pissing myself at some of the reactions on this board.

So would I, we have a brand new state of the art stadium however clearly not enough for many fans

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

The good thing about this is that as long as other clubs are making progress it doesn't matter what happens with us for now. Barber and Hebbard won't be in charge for ever, as long as we keep asking the question and keep the subject alive it will surely happen one day.

I rekon if the FSF manage to get safe standing installed at one club in the top two divisions the whole thing will snowball pretty quickly. We just need to keep our resolve and be ready for when it happens.

I think they were however aren't there less staff now ?

I suspect however with the cock up on the catering front there may now be a shortfall

No idea to be honest to be honest, I just remember seeing a thread on here about it.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick

I can assure you that I argued most forcefully - but yes, I can see that. I do feel that the safe standing issue is in its infancy and there is a long way to go with that one, nationally and at the Albion. I think that on the pricing issue at the moment they are very happy with how things are going and in terms of sales feel there is no need to make any further concessions. Literally. Time will tell whether they are right or not on that one. Personally, I am torn between utter happiness at having a wonderful stadium with wonderful beer that we all fought for and a LITTLE BIT of sadness that some things aren't right - but i have to say that happiness is winning out big time at the moment :)

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I don't think the NUFC game is particularly over priced.. the transaction/admin fee for EACH ticket however, is outright abuse

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Serious issue ?

Some people can't afford £30 a month. So what, the club is not a charity, if people cannot spare £30 a month for a season ticket, then they have greater priorities in life they should be worrying about.

Standing, who should pay for the alterations for this? Why would the club want to start massive re-building, ripping out something they just spent £100m+ on, within 3 years or so of the finished article?

I agree Newcastle might show they have pushed it too far and should have bought them down a bit, but they are not massively wild. I paid £28 for my usual seat, but that is pretty much what I had expected for a Premiership side in the FA Cup, so no drama.

Well, I agree with the first bit. It isn't a charity, that's for sure.

But I'm not sure you're grasping some of this. We're not just talking about £30 per month for the relatively few people that pay that rock-bottom, entry-level ST price (and most clearly don't, so let's not mislead everyone).

We're talking about people paying £34/£38 for A MATCH in the Championship.

We're talking about making an EXTRA £19-£20 on a ST seat (above the original ST sale) in the official exchange ticket exchange system.

And with that exchange, we're talking about hiding a re-sale rip-off behind some nonsensical smokescreen about knowing who is in which seat.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Well, I agree with the first bit. It isn't a charity, that's for sure.

But I'm not sure you're grasping some of this. We're not just talking about £30 per month for the relatively few people that pay that rock-bottom, entry-level ST price (and most clearly don't, so let's not mislead everyone).

We're talking about people paying £34/£38 for A MATCH in the Championship.

We're talking about making an EXTRA £19-£20 on a ST seat (above the original ST sale) in the official exchange ticket exchange system.

And with that exchange, we're talking about hiding a re-sale rip-off behind some nonsensical smokescreen about knowing who is in which seat.

For the club to make upward progress they have to charge what they consider fair to make them competitive on and off the pitch. Surely it is up to the individual to make a decision on whether they can afford that price and pay. I have a WSU ticket and have purchaed for Newcastle and the price is what I expected. The club have to compete and need the players and staffing to do that, it comes at a cost. When I consider what I paid to go to Withdean and the product served up there I am happy with my Amex package.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I brought up the subject of the ticket exchange as well. Reasons are:
- maximising revenue - ie until we are completely sold out the club should be selling tickets not individual fans (I can see their argument, not sure it's entirely fair but it's a valid one)
- that 'identifiable individual in identifiable seat' business again

Reasons for what? Having a ticket exchange? Charging loads for printing tickets? Charging loads for reissuing smart card? Clamping down on NSC exchange?

Loads of STs get passed on to friends/family match-by-match. Frankly, the club NEVER knows for sure who is in which seat.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
When I consider what I paid to go to Withdean and the product served up there I am happy with my Amex package.

You have - possibly inadvertently - put your finger on it. Comparisons with Withdean. It's a gift horse for a club now in superior facilities desperate to charge more for everything. However, Withdean prices were the biggest rip-off in the history of football, so it isn't a great comparison point. We only put up with sitting in the rain miles from the pitch at £25 a pop in League Two without rioting because we knew how stiffed the club had been, how skint it was, and that the alternative was going under.

Tempting as it is, don't ever compare the Amex value for money to Withdean. Compare it to other clubs/stadiums in the Championship.

You have - possibly inadvertently - put your finger on it. Comparisons with Withdean. It's a gift horse for a club now in superior facilities desperate to charge more for everything. However, Withdean prices were the biggest rip-off in the history of football, so it isn't a great comparison point. We only put up with sitting in the rain miles from the pitch at £25 a pop in League Two without rioting because we knew how stiffed the club had been, how skint it was, and that the alternative was going under.

Tempting as it is, don't ever compare the Amex value for money to Withdean. Compare it to other clubs/stadiums in the Championship.

Summed up far better than I could have, but this is exactly how I feel. I sat in the freezing bastard rain out of a sense of loyalty, if none of us had bothered back then there would not be a club now and there wouldn't be 22,000 extra "fans" to milk.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Two things I've gleaned:
1. That BHA will possibly follow but are not prepared to lead in the safe-standing debate.
2. The mentality of people who run clubs is still stuck in the 80's e.g. it's about control and potential trouble still (whilst fans' culture, ironically, is 30 years ahead of the authorities in this respect)

It's reinforced yet again what we all know. That football has the weirdest business model ever. Rip your customer base off, don't give them what they want and yet they'll keep coming back for more! We've only ourselves to blame in this respect. But yes, it's a shame: English footy will never be like the German experience today even with safe-standing. It'll be so token and so regulated as to make it almost pointless. And all because the authorities (again the tragic irony here) messed up on an industrial scale in the mid to late 80's (Heysel, Bradford and Hillsborough). As a final point, I do understand to some extent MP's point about different cultures. Being in St Pauli's last w/e, the Germans do appear to be a lot more sensible society-wise when it comes to alcohol. But then with all the CCTV (to weed out trouble makers if it occurs) and the known fact if you treat people like animals, expect them to behave as such, surely it's high time the British authorities stopped treating fans as 2nd class citizens even if they're not honest enough to admit? It would be very refreshing if they would adopt a "lets really approach this with an open, glass half full" mindset......FAT CHANCE!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here