Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does ANYONE remember THIS guy ?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
From the thread Bozza posted:
And from this one:

Haven't read either thread in full, so did anyone else have the privilege?

I used to cycle around Worthing (including Broadwater and Teville Gate) between 1972 and 1979 but never encountered the guy.

harty changed his username to Lenny Rider. They are one and the same person!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I used to work with him in the long gone spectacle factory in Brougham Road, Worthing in 1976, really nice guy.
Me too, Horace used to swear like a trooper and despite smoking 60 Players Weights a day, was as strong as an ox thanks to doing ballet in his youth.

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
Does anyone remember the old boy who used to walk around Worthing town centre in the 70's tapping out rhythms on road signs with his walking stick?
Sometimes he'd have a biscuit tin hung around his neck and would beat it with a spoon. Another of those harmless old nutters who seem to have disappeared from the scene.

Yep. I remember him, couldn't pass a lamppost without giving it a whack.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
A short video of Horace Duke performing has appeared on my Facebook. Its quite interesting for anyone who never saw this guy. I would post the video here but not sure how to get it from Facebook to here. Its in colour - looks late 70's.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm sure that at one time he had a woman with him on one of the roundabouts?

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
That guy gave me the creeps. I remember being stuck in traffic on that roundabout once and I looked at him and he looked back at me with a look that made my blood run cold, still remember it to this day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The thread about the wizard reminded me of another eccentric. He was around in the 1970s, initially pacing up and down in Hove park, then pacing up and down opposite the aquarium on the sea front. Constantly talking to himself. In the later yars he grew a massive beard (which it how the wizard thread made me think of him). A school mate told me his name was 'Ted Arnold' but I don't know if this is true. Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd do a search, but nothing, so I bounced this.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
The thread about the wizard reminded me of another eccentric. He was around in the 1970s, initially pacing up and down in Hove park, then pacing up and down opposite the aquarium on the sea front. Constantly talking to himself. In the later yars he grew a massive beard (which it how the wizard thread made me think of him). A school mate told me his name was 'Ted Arnold' but I don't know if this is true. Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd do a search, but nothing, so I bounced this.

I knew Ted Arnold - his brother is Yorkshire Bill. We sometimes travelled away back in the 60s. I'm fairly cetain Yorkshire Bill has posted that Ted is no longer with us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I knew Ted Arnold - his brother is Yorkshire Bill. We sometimes travelled away back in the 60s. I'm fairly cetain Yorkshire Bill has posted that Ted is no longer with us.

Crikey! Thanks. He seemed like a troubled guy. RIP.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
While on the subject of eccentrics anyone know anything about 'the walker' ? He's been mentioned on here a few times, always done up with a hood and face covered, often with a stick and just seems to walk endlessly around the longer roads around the edge of Brighton. (Dyke Road, Carden Avenue, Lewes road etc)

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
This reminds me of a guy I can remember seeing for years walking up and down Western Road giving a nod and a wave to all the buses, anyone remember him?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
This reminds me of a guy I can remember seeing for years walking up and down Western Road giving a nod and a wave to all the buses, anyone remember him?

I do he scared my then gf and son one day as she thought he was following her. I had a conversation about him in the past and the story was that he used to work for the bus company but he just came across as a mute village idiot.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean

Blimey, I remember him. Used to see him anywhere between Sackville road and Stoneham Park early to mid 70's

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Plenty of oddballs worked for the co-op
The co-op at the Nevill superstore used to be full of them especially those working on the trolleys

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here