Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing: a response from Paul Barber

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To save me trawling through a this but has anyone asked that why can't the North Stand stay at the same capacity but allow people who have seats there to stand ?
No problem there with Fire Exits etc ??
Sorry in advance if someone has already asked this

Good point - the same number of people, in the same place, with the same gangways and exits, would be no more dangerous standing than sitting.

Also the North Stand isn't just one huge block - there are gangways dividing it into sections. Why not have one or two sections where, even if they weren't OFFICIALLY designeated as standing areas, the stewards would only look out for misbehaviour, but wouldn't get narky about people standing in front of their seats?

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
You have to say that is an excellent response and whilst it doesn't affect me in my WSU seat, I think it answers most of the points thrown at the club recently. Perhaps those arguing for safe standing should divert their attention to the campaign to get the government to change legislation rather than spend most of their time criticising the club.

Believe me, the effort spent criticising the Club on here equates to around 1% of the time spent recently lobbying local MPs. Next Tuesday is a big milestone for the FSF campaign. The roadshow is going to Westminster where the MPs will be able to see what the idea is all about. If we can build on the 50 MPs that have so far signed the EDM it will be a huge bonus.

BTW, this is the frightenting, non-inclusive, violent spectre of which our club is so afraid: Picasa Web Albums - jon.darch - Kids and fami... BEWARE - shocking photos of Peterborough hooligans in 2012! Thank goodness this will be banned as of May next year (if Posh stay up)!

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
There is simply no way the club are going to start investing even more money into the ground at a point where we're finally nearing completion of a decade long construction project - especially into a scheme that would first have to be piloted. Sensible and understandable.

I'm sure if others implement safe standing successfully and profitably the club would consider the cost-benefits.

Could we really expect any more?

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Because Rugby fans can get along with each other, don't need massive Policing or segregation, and don't start fights amongst themselves - they leave all that to the players on the pitch.

And that's a fact - pure and simple.

I'm afraid to say it, but football is still having to pay for the legacy of 'firms' up and down not just this Country, but across Europe as well ( ask any Spurs fan who was in that Rome bar a couple of weeks back ) who like nothing better than to organise a ruck amongst themselves and use the pretext of football as a means to plan and execute it. This just doesn't happen in any other sports or mass audience participation event I can think of, even the most violent like boxing and bullfighting, where you'd expect levels of testosterone to be at all time highs.

So that fight I saw at a Leicester Tigers game, on a terrace, between fans on the same side was something I dreamt up? And you wouldn't mind going to tell the landlord of the Kingston Mill that his pub wasn't smashed up by Munster fans, it was probably a few jolly chaps who just tripped over and accidently launched their pint glasses across the bar?

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Chaps, I'm very much involved with the safe standing movement and wrote an article for the Croydon Ad, which coaxed CPFC out the closet around two months ago.

Can I suggest (if no one hasn't already) that you invite Jon Darch down to the Amex to demonstrate the rail seat model to both club officials and fans. This is the fella, who has mamaged to get all the clubs on board so far and who almost single handly has persuaded the Scots to relax no standing rules in the SPL.

Jon, along with support from safety experts and even a senior police officer, has a presentation of the model arranged at Parliament next Tuesday - but he always welcomes more support.

Email safe.standing@gmx.com

Thanks Tunny, we're already in touch with Jon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here