Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Cavity Wall Insulation soon to be compulsory?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Really that is interesting, as the deadline for the Energy Companies to have met their CERT obligations is April as far as I was aware. Perhaps it has been extended and its just slowly filtering out into common knowledge.

Good news for people who are wanting to get discounted or free loft / cavity wall insulation.

Seems that with all the confusion over the green deal offering the government have little option to extend the CERT funding. Once that's over external and blown cavity will be either paid for upfront by the home owner or a loan against the property so it's certainly worth getting done ASAP if its something people want to do.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Slightly off topic - but I reckon there's more to be gained by making solar panels compulsory on all new builds.
This will stimulate demand, which will require increased production / manufacture.
And that will reduce prices.

Gotta be the way to go ....

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Slightly off topic - but I reckon there's more to be gained by making solar panels compulsory on all new builds.
This will stimulate demand, which will require increased production / manufacture.

The price has driven down through lack of demand ! The feed in tariffs are so shit now that no one is interested.

House builders don't want to install them either due to NHBC rulings on new build properties so couldn't really work. Also nimbys complain like f*** when people have them an I can imagine estates full of gem would look awful

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yes, this would be a much better option than the attempt to encourage expansive retro-fitting through FIT. the cost would be borne the house builders who'd offset with an additional 3-5k for the cost of the panels and TIE kit. tariff returned to owner would be market rate, so no cost to the rest of us but they gain cheaper electric. win win.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think so.

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
I was told by a British Gas engineer that the government was soon to make this compulsory so best to get this done before the end of 2013.

Does anyone know if this is true? As i would get this year whilst it is free and save thousand down the line.

Like to see them try - my house is solid concrete walls (built 1899) no cavity!!!!

Do British Gas do cavity wall insulation?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Parents have cavity wall insulation and loft insulation and 4 gas fires (no central heating) and their house is always amazingly hot. It could be the Pikington K glass as well that helps that too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Pretty much yes but doesn't really matter so much for heating the house in winter. Well insulated with low thermal mass will heat up quickly, but leave a through draft for a couple of minutes and it'll be parky again.
I think it matters for winter too, it keeps it more comfortable. You don't want the heating kicking in every time someone opens the door.

My cousin recently bought an old stone house and after a think we decided to insulate the crap out the roof and line a one or two of the walls with insulation board (possibly a thin lime render on top to look period). Hopefully be a reasonable balance of original features, insulation and mass.
Sounds good. It is a nightmare trying to make old buildings work. Fix the drafts and you suddenly have to sort out all the condensation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here