Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Dolphinarium

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
There is another side of the argument. Polar Bears are on the endangered spices list and are being hunted to extinction. Is it better to try and keep the species going by breeding some in captivity, or just let them fade away into extinction and just become another great animal that once walked this earth.
I have no problem with that argument, conservation has its place, and animals in captivity often live longer and many appear to not be suffering. If done properly, i think there is a place for captive animals. I do not profess to have any expertise in animal welfare, I was just mentioning the worst example I have witnessed.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I went a couple of times when I was younger, once for a friends birthday, and once for mine, I had the ride around the pool in the boat, really enjoyed it at the time but totally agree with its closure now.

I also remember the Seal enclosure stinking to high heaven. I went to the sealife centre a couple of years ago and that's pretty impressive now.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There is another side of the argument. Polar Bears are on the endangered spices list and are being hunted to extinction. Is it better to try and keep the species going by breeding some in captivity, or just let them fade away into extinction and just become another great animal that once walked this earth.

There are two Polar Bears in a zoo/park in Scotland.

I have forgotten a lot about Brighton Dolphinarium. I think the newly borns died shortly after birth. That they were mating indicates that the conditions were not too bad, but inadequate by the standards expected nowadays. Or even then.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I remember being taken there 3/4 times as a nipper and thinking it was
wonderful and the Dolphins looking great.
Little did we know !!
I believe if my memory serves me right one who gave birth there was called Silver and her baby was called
Poppy !!!
Bless em poor old gorgeous Dolphins !!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Here's Brian Horton in action at the Dophinarium....

horton.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Its a difficult balance between animals dying out, and conservation. Making the things perform is out of order, but I think there should be some conservation, but really in much bigger enclosures if they are going to do it...and just endangered species, not every animal thats knocking about.
I went to the zoo in Prague a few weeks ago with a visitor and her little one..im not proud, it was host duty.... the polar bear was clearly insane, with repetative backward strokes in the small pool.... for all the time we stood there, and was doing the same on the way back out... but then again, how big an enclosure would be sufficient for a creature like a polar bear.. im torn between the points.

i remember some pretty stressed out animals at chessington zoo back in the 70's.........it is good to show people exotic animals but how they are housed is a very difficult conundrum.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I remember they had a plastic ball pit type enclosure that any youngster could dive into and crawl through, disappearing into as the equally playful parents pretended they didn't know where their offspring was, but instead of balls it was full to the average adult human waistline with a variety of crabs. There were the miniature ones such as the Pea Crab that sometimes wriggled their way unknowingly into an innocent back passage and had to be returned later when pwarped free, and the skin-scraping behemoths such as the Spiny Spider Crab to which not a child left the sandy sty without bleeding thanks to. I was in there for about twenty minutes screaming and stamping and chewing insanely on eyepoles. It was horrendous. Even worse was that to fix wounds on departure you'd walk through a paddling pool of leeches and other unnameable sucklers. They had a photo of me near the entrance to the dolphinarium with my clothes fully ripped and cuts drawn across my face with the jagged-edged snapped half-shells torn from the backs of the crustaceans that angered me first and most. This snap was of course there to prevent my return, successfully. I was pleased when the emporium of animalistic fiendishness closed, but the whispers of that pit of scraping claws remain with me today.

when are you writing a book ffs.......:laugh:

PriapismBoy

Apr 18, 2011
Durrington
The Worthing lido used to have the dolpins from brighton.

The Lido was a popular venue before Spain and the Costas became tourist destinations. The Lido pool contained purified seawater and was open until 1988 when it held dolphins from the Brighton Sealife Centre for a year whilst their permanent accommodation was being rebuilt.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I thought I'd start a thread about the Dolphinarium.

I have done a bit of digging and found some stuff.

First, some history ... did you know that there were Belugas down there once? Nowadays the only Belugas you'll find in Brighton are in the 1901 club, spread on blinis :(.

I also see that the Dolphinarium recorded the first ever captive birth. How about that!

I preusmed the dolphins were from Scotland or something, not flown in from Miami.

Here's the Sea Lion pool ...

10.jpg

The Brighton Dolphins were part of a programme to return them to the wild in the early 90s, but no one can prove this was successful unfortunately and the Dolphins weren't seen after a day or two of being released.

There's a guy who seems a bit of an expert of UK Dolphinariums and on a forum I just read he was blaming Brighton's relatively large amount of animal-rights activists for the reason behind the Dolphinarium being shut down.

What are your memories of the place? It seems odd to think such a thing would exist now.

Judging from that picture it looks like a pokey, dingy f***ing shithole and no place for wild animals to be held. Glad it's shut down.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I didn't know there was one. Is there a charity to donate too? (Sorry but it had to be done!)

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
My wife used to know the manager down there. He got her a job to help with the dolphins.

Coriander in Need or Cumin Relief ???
Is that the adult version?

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
i remember some pretty stressed out animals at chessington zoo back in the 70's.........it is good to show people exotic animals but how they are housed is a very difficult conundrum.

I'm sure I remember seeing a polar bear there back in the 80's

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I remember the grubby snack bar was downstairs and had a huge window that looked out on to under the surface of dolphin pool. Sadly though the water was always murky and you rarely saw a dolphin. Even more sadly, the pool was tiny. Poor things. Hope they made it safely home and are swimming and diving and frollocking around in the wide open sea like like happy maniacs to this day!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here