Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt believes breakaway union would be "big mistake" [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Bridcutt believes breakaway union would be "big mistake"[/h]9:30am Friday 26th October 2012 in Albion By Andy Naylor
Liam Bridcutt feels a breakaway union would be a big mistake
ALBION midfielder Liam Bridcutt has spoken out against the threat of a breakaway union for black players.
He has branded the scheme “a big mistake” and says it is time to draw a line under the racism rows engulfing English football.
Leading human rights lawyer Peter Herbert claims talks have started with black players to form a separate association from the PFA which would be more pro-active in combating racism.
Bridcutt told The Argus: “For me it’s a big mistake really. It’s just going to create a divide between black players and white players.
“It is going too far now and everyone has just got to sit down and realise things like this are going to happen and we’ve got to deal with it in the right way.
“Creating a divide is going to make it a lot worse than it is and I think they should just get on with the game.”
Rio Ferdinand, Jason Roberts and other Premier League stars and teams boycotted the Kick It Out T-shirt anti-racism campaign last weekend.
John Terry’s abuse of Anton Ferdinand, Luis Suarez’s abuse of Patrice Evra and the recent alleged racist abuse of England under-21 defender Danny Rose in Serbia have kept the issue in the headlines since last season.
Bridcutt, 23, said: “We have been going on about it long enough now. It seems like this is the most we’ve had it.
“I remember as a kid hearing about it but it’s not been publicised as much as it has been now and I think it’s time to just put it behind us and get on with football. It’s starting to spoil the game a bit.
“I know some players have been racially abused, so they are standing strong, and fair play to them. But it’s one of those things you have got to put behind you now and move on, start to rise above it and don’t let it ruin the game.”
Bridcutt has revealed he was a victim himself, playing for former club Chelsea in an under-21 tournament in Malaysia.
He said: “I know sometimes it can be tough but there are going to be people out there who are going to have different beliefs.
“There were a few black players at Chelsea and there were a few chants from the crowd now and again but it’s just one of those things that is going to happen at one stage during your life, ignorant people. You have just got to get on with it.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here