Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice Please - Bike for Mrs

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Seeing the cycling geek thread made me think I could get some advice - good and otherwise!

So I think she wants a bike for her birthday ... just something to get her around town and she fancies a cycling holiday next year, nothing overly strenuous, a few miles a day on country lanes.

But I've no idea where to start, think it will be what's called a hybrid, comfort, commuter sort of thing ... not keen on the retro look. But when I trawl through the sites the price differences are huge and they all look the same to me ... obv not and I guess it's all about quality

I've got a budget of about £300 I guess and I wonder if anyone can point me to a particularly good site where I can get a good deal and also if any particular recommendations can be made on a good brand or specific bike.

Went into Halfords at the weekend but not sure the fella knew any more than me and don't really fancy buying from there

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Seeing the cycling geek thread made me think I could get some advice - good and otherwise!

So I think she wants a bike for her birthday ... just something to get her around town and she fancies a cycling holiday next year, nothing overly strenuous, a few miles a day on country lanes.

But I've no idea where to start, think it will be what's called a hybrid, comfort, commuter sort of thing ... not keen on the retro look. But when I trawl through the sites the price differences are huge and they all look the same to me ... obv not and I guess it's all about quality

I've got a budget of about £300 I guess and I wonder if anyone can point me to a particularly good site where I can get a good deal and also if any particular recommendations can be made on a good brand or specific bike.

Went into Halfords at the weekend but not sure the fella knew any more than me and don't really fancy buying from there

Ideally she needs to try it before you buy, although frame sizes are expressed in height, your riding position whether stretched forward, more upright etc. can vary from bike to bike. Sounds like you want to make it a surprise, but £300 is going to be better spent on something she feels really comfortable on and has the chance to try a few different styles and sizes.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Make sure it has slick tyres on it and is as light as you can afford! Will make cycling so much easier! If you go with mountain bike or hybrid tyres it may sit in the shed for long periods unused!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Amazon have a list to compare prices. Just sent me a list by EMail.

Most bikes spend a lot of time in the shed and keep shiny. These are the cheap bikes which fall to bits if used every day.

All tyres are the same thickness. The knobbly tyres just collect mud and nails, thorns which means more punctures not less. Only a few times a year are they advantageous and on most surfaces ordinary tyres and more efficient.

Budget for racks (get them fitted by the shop), lights (not sure which are best?), panniers (some are naff)?

Helmets: don't use them. Unless they are new and undamaged and fit properly every time, they are a waste of time. Cycling by mile travelled is still safer than walking, but you have to be paranoid. Cars have blind spots and some drivers too.

Last edited:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Halford's Carrera subways are highly regarded and within your budget, with aluminium frame/forks/handlebars it's lightweight and of decent quality. Just buying from halfords unforutnately..

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All tyres are the same thickness. The knobbly tyres just collect mud and nails, thorns which means more punctures not less. Only a few times a year are they advantageous and on most surfaces ordinary tyres and more efficient.

Helmets: don't use them. Unless they are new and undamaged and fit properly every time, they are a waste of time. Cycling by mile travelled is still safer than walking, but you have to be paranoid. Cars have blind spots and some drivers too.

So what do you think is the difference between a 700C 18mm and a 700C 40mm tyre then???

Also, wear a helmet. Even if it's just a head accessory. I've been cycling for 25 years and always worn one - but thankfully it's never been needed. A mate of mine would be dead now if it wasn't for his according to his surgeon and intensive care doctors, he's got the scars where the helmet dug in on impact to prove it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come home Bold!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Amazon have a list to compare prices. Just sent me a list by EMail.

Most bikes spend a lot of time in the shed and keep shiny. These are the cheap bikes which fall to bits if used every day.

Budget for racks (get them fitted by the shop), lights (not sure which are best?), panniers (some are naff)?

Wow.

Is there ANY subject, on which you don't have a shedload of WRONG to contribute?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

We don't bite on Geeks. Plus we are on our off season, not that shopping and encouraging others onto the road isn't something we'd jump at.
Although this does add to my theory that we are now an autonomous thread who can post and say whatever we like, boobies and everything.

You seem to have had some pretty good advise already.

- No to Halfords (not yet anyway the Boardman range are the best price/spec bikes on the market.
- It can't really be a surprise present as comfort is the number priority.
- Buy the bike for the purpose. If it's just commuting round town she'll not need full suspension 30 gears and foot wide tyres.
But also won't need a Victoria Pendleton hand me down.
- I'd image a hybrid is what you are after, although it's never that simple as they run in a spectrum that goes from road to off road in orientation. The type of tyre is the biggest giveaway.
- Local Bike Shops will be brilliant as their reputation depends on it, but obviously keen to sell there products.
- Try as many bikes as you can from different manufacturers. They might all look the same but they aren't.
Slightly different geometry makes a big difference. Plus you'll get the 'feel' of LBS' and will quickly spot a lemon shop. (not a greengrocers)
- While your at it buy a good track pump with gauge, tyres need to be inflated regularly, or else it's tough riding and punctures.

Last edited:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Out of interest have you actually been hit by a car on a bike without a helmet on? Because I have, and it is not an experience I would like to repeat, I was lucky and landed on my back and didn't hit my head on the kerb. Always wear a helmet because even in the most rarest of cases it can mean the difference between life and death.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house

Out of interest have you actually been hit by a car on a bike without a helmet on? Because I have, and it is not an experience I would like to repeat, I was lucky and landed on my back and didn't hit my head on the kerb. Always wear a helmet because even in the most rarest of cases it can mean the difference between life and death.

I hope everyone ignores your advise & listens to brightn'ove instead. A chap I worked with lost his wife when she came off her bike & hit her head, very experienced riders but no helmet. I wonder if James Cracknell was glad he was wearing a helmet when a truck mirror hit the back of his head?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How times have changed in years gone by if you needed a bike you went to Worthing station or the bike rack by Woolworths in Montague Place and just picked one up and rode it off. Mind in those days a bike cost next to nothing unlike today. People also didn't have chains or any security on them in those days as they had very little resale value. The most common ploy was to pick one up in town and ride it home and leave it by the station.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I spent a few weeks doing some research for my sister in law who has just bought a hybrid, mainly for riding in London but also on canal paths etc. I recommended a pinnacle Neon 1 (womens) from Evans Cycles...they seem to have stopped selling them which is a shame as she got a great deal- this is the Neon 2 - Pinnacle Neon Two 2012 Women's Hybrid Bike | Evans Cycles

Evans were really helpful and gave her excellent instore customer service (the model she wanted had sold out after she reserved it so they gave her the next model up for the same price)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here