Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Google Earth Live Cockpit View of Planes Landing at Gatwick

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Okay I have a question about the flight paths. Do flights tend to follow the same flight path? For example will a flight leaving Gatwick today for Barcelona follow the same flight path as the same flight leaving in 2 weeks time? I guess that take off and the approach to the airport may be slightly different depending on the other traffic in the area.

Not always, no, it depends on various factors, mainly the weather, flight paths change to avoid turbulence. Sometimes they also change to avoid congested areas, or areas that have become dangerous.

Flightdiary just puts the quickest great circle route, but flightradar24 actually uses live information from a box on the plane itself so it should be correct. Where it misses the runway, it usually means google maps isn't that accurate. Some airports always miss for that reason.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Oh god must stop, just watch a plane go over my house

Its extraordinary when you go across to america its likes a massive ants nest

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
You had me all excited thinking it was going to be a live view - it's just the Google Earth view using the real co-ordinates. Having worked on real flight-simulators (if that's not an oxymoron) for 7 years in the 80s, this would have been a revelation.

Rediffusion or Link Miles? I was at Rediffusion for 7 years from 1986. Best job I ever had.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Rediffusion or Link Miles? I was at Rediffusion for 7 years from 1986. Best job I ever had.

What was the worst job you ever had?

[yt]PpxJu4uJff4[/yt]

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I followed a flight from Rome to Stanstead...great, except when it was just coming in to land the graphics froze then up came the message 'Plane has landed'....I really wanted to see the landing....but hey ho....good viewing anyway.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
This is fantastic, i can sit in the conservatory and look over all of Sussex from my gaf. The planes tend to stack over Lewes then head off north before turning onto the final approach over Hever way. Obviously this is only when they're landing from the east.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here