Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Millwall - Boxing Day 2012

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Massive apologies if fixtures, but I cannot find any further news on the proposed change to the Millwall Boxing Day fixture due to travel complications.

Is this game still likely to go ahead on that day?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Darren Balkham advised still undecided if going ahead - I think it will be 19:45 KO on the 27th

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I do hope so - I'm planning a trip up to family in Blackburn for the away game and have been told by my partner that it's rude to jump ship Christmas night to get back home in time for the boxing day game - if it's moved to the 27th it will solve my problem and keep him indoors happy!!!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
What is the point of a traditional Boxing day match if its not on that day?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't see how it can be played on Boxing Day. I'd not thought about it at all until I listened to Darren Balkham on The Albion Roar last week but no trains to Falmer and no buses completely scuppers it.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Hadn't even seen it was due to be on this date.

Nothing says Merry Christmas better than 2,000 Millwall fans advising that you take it up the arse. Marvellous.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It will be a total farce if we are unable to host this match on Boxing Day. The Amex is a spectacular venue but it is flawed if it cannot cope without trains. I fail to accept that we are literally the ONLY club out of 92 that has such a set-up. It's one thing changing a bank holiday match to a Tuesday night, but Boxing Day football is a tradition and if we're seriously saying we can't EVER hold it I would consider that to be a fairly embarrassing admission for a club with a top-class venue to its name. Hopefully the Albion have already made arrangements for extra buses and will ensure all of the car parks are packed, preferably with an incentive for those with four in a car.

Brighton to Falmer is one thing, but its getting people from Bognor, Littlehampton, Worthing, Shoreham, Hove there. Its about being good neighbours as well, more than anything. If there are no trains, the club don't want a load of cars illegally parking pissing off the neighbours.

27th much better for me

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The 27th would suit me I think - Xmas day with my parents, drive up Boxing day morning to spend the day with my girlfriend's family, drive back that night, work on the 27th then straight to the Amex after work

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
It will be a total farce if we are unable to host this match on Boxing Day. The Amex is a spectacular venue but it is flawed if it cannot cope without trains. I fail to accept that we are literally the ONLY club out of 92 that has such a set-up. It's one thing changing a bank holiday match to a Tuesday night, but Boxing Day football is a tradition and if we're seriously saying we can't EVER hold it I would consider that to be a fairly embarrassing admission for a club with a top-class venue to its name. Hopefully the Albion have already made arrangements for extra buses and will ensure all of the car parks are packed, preferably with an incentive for those with four in a car.

Most grounds in the UK expect 20%-30% of the crowd to travel by public transport, at the The Amex it's 80%, it's the way it was designed and Boxing Day is the one match a year that it will effect, it's very sad but Boxing Day may just have to be avoided.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Must be the case for many fixtures that day though. I remember driving to Millwall a few years ago and parking in the street because apart from coaches there was no other transport. I know Falmer is very different but moving a boxing day match does not seem right. Its as traditional as everything else about Christmas.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hadn't even seen it was due to be on this date.

Nothing says Merry Christmas better than 2,000 Millwall fans advising that you take it up the arse. Marvellous.

Definitely a stuffing joke there of some sort..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How does the New Year's Day service public transport offering compare to Boxing Day? Is it the same?

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
There is far too much 'pleasing the neighbours' bollocks that goes on. f*** the neighbours I say. Sometimes you've just got to accept that 30,000 people want top-class entertainment on a day on which it is traditional and that's more important than a few people in Moulsecoomb having nobody parked outside their house. Who cares if a few extra cars are parked for three hours? Who cares if a few thousand people have to walk a mile or two to the stadium? As long as the disabled have access to parking spaces I say hold it on Boxing Day and just let people use their initiative on how to get there. If they want to go, they'll find a way. Unless somebody can tell me that The Amex is entirely unique compared to all other English stadia, I see no reason for this cautious, wimpish attitude that seems to surround kick-off times.

How do you get on with your next door neighbours? Without the rules on public transport bringing most people to The Amex it would never have been built and if it was as easy as saying 'f*** the neighbours' it would have been build 2 decades earlier.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Have to say I agree with [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] on this one. Perhaps they will find a way to run trains between Brighton and Farmer despite the rest of the line being closed like they ocassionally managed at withdrawn (Preston park) when the rest of the mainline was closed. fatboy slim worked ok with no trains too.

Last edited:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Have to say I agree with [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] on this one. Perhaps they will find a way to run trains between Brighton and Farmer despite the rest of the line being closed like they ocassionally managed at withdrawn (Preston park) when the rest of the mainline was closed. fathom slim worked ok faith no trains too.
And just how are those of us to the west of Brighton supposed to get to the game? No buses or trains run on Boxing day apart from the mainline. Not everyone who supports the Albion live on the London to Brighton mainline or within walking distance of the ground. TCB isn't just sticking 2 fingers up to the neighbours he's doing it to a fair few Albion fans too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here