Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 5

D

Deleted member 18477

IOS update for the 3GS anyone???

£14 per month contract... Do I REALLY want an iPhone 5 with a £50 contract... I ain't so sure!

iPad gets used at home. Phone doesn't get touched except for calls/messages and the odd check of the football scores when I'm out.

Think I'll pass again!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
IOS update for the 3GS anyone???

£14 per month contract... Do I REALLY want an iPhone 5 with a £50 contract... I ain't so sure!

iPad gets used at home. Phone doesn't get touched except for calls/messages and the odd check of the football scores when I'm out.

Think I'll pass again!

Doesn't really matter what you NEED, it's what you WANT that matters!!

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Current thinking is the big reveal on 12/9 and in the shops on 21/9.

Currently only Apple know that.

Regardless of when it is, I'll be queuing.

I'll be in the queue at Churchill Square too. I heard 12 September conference. Usually history dictates it will be in stores a week later.

A reasonable analysis, [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION] but you miss out a few things...

1. Buying the phone outright gives you the opportunity to change your phone whenever you like or, even, just sell the thing if you need some cash in hand.

2. Apple customer service if you've gone direct. Last week the top button on my nearly year old iPhone 4S was a bit sticky. It still worked every time, nothing was functionally wrong with the phone, but it lacked the solid click it previously had. I took it back to an Apple Store where they immediately swapped the phone for me for a new one. iCloud synced up a few minutes later and my new phone was exactly the same as my old phone in every respect.

Everyone I know who has bought a phone from a network reseller has had nightmares when something has gone wrong - a struggle to get the phone looked at, a period of time without a phone at all, and Russian Roulette whether it will actually be repaired when it comes back.

These two features of going down the 'Direct from Apple' route are worth a lot to me.

I've never had poor service from Apple, despite getting mine from o2. I don't think it makes any difference whether you buy from Apple or a network, that is not a check the perform when you take a product back AFAIK.

I almost went for an i Phone, but signed up for a Galaxy 3 for two years. Very pleased with it thus far.

Colleague did that and she wont stop complaining about it. It's freezing and crashing on her. I hope you don't have similar bad luck.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I had iPhones from the first until iPhone 4, I fancied trying something different so went for an HTC One X last time, I traded in my iphone 4 for £250 which I stuck in an account in case I needed it later. I have been underwhelmed by my Android experience and will be buying an iPhone 5 when released. The £250 plus the £200 I'll get for the HTC pretty much cover the cost of the iPhone and I will be happy to be back on an iPhone again as I miss the stability and the fact theiphone always works how it should. Android is just too flakey for me.

having queued up for the iphone 4 I vowed never to queue up again so I shall be pre-ordering from apples website as soon as I can so I will hopefully get on that way on release day.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm sure the iPhone 5 will be fantastic with loads of great new features etc. BUT why on Earth do you need to QUEUE for hours to get one?

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
The 3GS will get an update to IOS 6, but thats it for that model, IOS 7 will not be supporting the 3GS. 6 will not work on iPhone 3 or the 3rd gen iTouch devices including the original ipad.

For what its worth I have been using iOS 6 on my iTouch for a month and not really noticed any difference. The app store has had a make over, the You Tube app has been removed as their licence has apparently expired. Maps is being replaced by Apples own version which includes turn by turn navigation and 3D maps of major locations and the new ipad is getting Siri but thats about it. I have not installed iOS 6 on any other devices as I use them daily and after getting stung with a non working phone for a week due to testing IOS 5 beta for Apple (yes I am a registered developer) I decided to not go that route again

Also any apps being built ready for 6 will not work on any OS lower than 5, so this removes new apps for the 2nd generation iTouch devices and older phones. They are starting to cull the old devices quickly now and it looks to be if you get a phone on a 24 month contract you will get an OS update 12 months after the contract ends but that will be it.

There are rumours it will be a micro mini sim card thats smaller than the 4s but thats uncomfirmed but it is pretty much confirmed the dock connector will be a lot smaller as adaptors have been listed on apples website to convert the old connector to the new one. If they can make every port on the device smaller they can put more on the circuit board so it makes sense to shrink them down. The screen is a 640x1136 4-inch display with 20 apps per screen plus a dock rather than the current 16 apps plus dock (although this extra line may be for the iPad mini, the information was found by devs using IOS in the simulator)

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
and for info I went the android route on my last update and got an xperia play. Never again, the constant crashes and unresponsiveness was enough to put me off. I love the asus transformer tablet which shows a good use of the android OS but the xperia has left a bad taste so in April my next phone will be an iPhone 5.

Also I forgot to mention that the likelyhood is that the iTouch will be getting an update as well at the same time. Last year they did nothing with the touch except release a white version and drop the prices a touch. This year its expected to be relaunched with the iPhone 5 specs but minus the phone side (obviously). So expect at least 3 new devices to be announce on the 12th, the Iphone 5, iPad mini and new iTouch

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
and for info I went the android route on my last update and got an xperia play. Never again, the constant crashes and unresponsiveness was enough to put me off. I love the asus transformer tablet which shows a good use of the android OS but the xperia has left a bad taste so in April my next phone will be an iPhone 5.

Also I forgot to mention that the likelyhood is that the iTouch will be getting an update as well at the same time. Last year they did nothing with the touch except release a white version and drop the prices a touch. This year its expected to be relaunched with the iPhone 5 specs but minus the phone side (obviously). So expect at least 3 new devices to be announce on the 12th, the Iphone 5, iPad mini and new iTouch

I admire people like you. We all make mistakes in life but the key is to recognise a mistake and then go and do the right thing.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I admire people like you. We all make mistakes in life but the key is to recognise a mistake and then go and do the right thing.

I admit I went the android route last time as I needed a device for programming and already having a 3gs meant I had the Apple side covered but not the android. Programming on Android is a nightmare due to all the different OS versions and screen sizes, at least with apple you have a standard(ish) OS but the multitude of screen sizes is becoming a concern for developers which is why I suspect they are dropping the non retina devices as soon as they can.

Also, I didn't realise until recently that the iPhone division of Apple is worth more than the whole of Microsoft including the xbox division. Like them or not that is some serious market share they have taken from a market that under 6 years ago they had zero percent share of

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Right, does anyone have any idea AT ALL what new features the iPhone 5 may have, excluding screen size and charging cable? I'm toying with the idea of selling my 4s ASAP before the 5 is announced to maximise its value but hardly worth it if there is not much else happening with it?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Right, does anyone have any idea AT ALL what new features the iPhone 5 may have, excluding screen size and charging cable? I'm toying with the idea of selling my 4s ASAP before the 5 is announced to maximise its value but hardly worth it if there is not much else happening with it?

Probable:
  • Improved processor and graphics
  • New longer design
  • 4-inch screen with 16:9 aspect ratio
  • HDR video recording
  • Metal back casing
  • Late September arrival

Possible:
  • 4G support in UK
  • Mobile NFC payments
  • iPhone-exclusive social platform
  • Wider home button or a touch-sensitive area under the screen
  • Waterproof circuits

Calling [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] for any I may have missed?

Last edited:

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Probable:
  • New longer design
  • HDR video recording
  • Metal back casing
  • Late September arrival

Possible:
  • 4G support in UK
  • Mobile NFC payments
  • Waterproof circuits

Cheers, just seen this...

New iPhone 5 release date, news and rumours | TechRadar

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Probable:
  • New longer design
  • HDR video recording
  • Metal back casing
  • Late September arrival

Possible:
  • 4G support in UK
  • Mobile NFC payments
  • Waterproof circuits

That's a good summary. Each iPhone will be faster than the last - that's just a given. The 4" screen will happen and there'll probably be improvements in the camera optics. Beyond that, most changes happen in software and we already know much of what iOS 6 has in store.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Will we ever get a phone with an edge to edge screen? Would love it!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Can you believe just dropped my i-phone clapping Joyce's 50 at the cricket, screen has shattered. Waiting for an upgrade to 5, anyone know who repairs screens while you wait/in a day, does the Apple store do repairs.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can you believe just dropped my i-phone clapping Joyce's 50 at the cricket, screen has shattered. Waiting for an upgrade to 5, anyone know who repairs screens while you wait/in a day, does the Apple store do repairs.

They might swap it out for £129 for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here