Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long Before the Coalition Implodes

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
lets be fair now. the Liberals got their vote on PR early on, and they lost (badly). there was no requirement for Tories to support it. the quid pro quo for that policy was 5 year fix parliments and constituency reforms.

Lords reforms is another seperate policy area, one that Tories support in principle (its in the manifesto to do somthing) but not the proposal offered, in particular the lack of detail on the mechanics of how the new Lords would work in concert with the Commons.

rather than address problems and rework the proposal Clegg adopted a take it or leave it approach assuming Cameron would bring the party in line. poor Cleggy, for the leader of a fractious party doesnt understand the Tories are also a fractious party (arent they all). now he's playing to the home crowd for the conference season proposing a wealth tax, no doubt to arbitarily penalise some tiny group of the population that wont bring in any meaningfull amount of money, yet consume political capital.

It wasn't PR it was Alternative Vote, and entirely different kettle of fish!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
To my shame I voted Tory last time. I brought the bullshit Cameron told during the election campaign of bringing aspiration back to the UK, looking after people who want to help themselves blah, blah, all f***ing HORSESHIT.

The more I see the more I believe the Tories and their members are doing everything to feather their own nests with their policies as the rich and getting richer day by day. The FSA are in bed with the High Street banks as they are best buddies and they are well known for offering high paid jobs between the two of them. The whole system in the city is corrupt.

Cameron and Osborne have killed the economy stone dead now and it will take years if not decades for the country to crawl off its knees again. The slash and burn has backfired, the debt is GOING UP ! This is due to plummetting tax revenues and increasing benefits.

They could not have got it more wrong. The only countries in the developed World in a worse position are Greece, Spain, Portugal and Ireland.

Luckily my parents have forgiven me and not written me out of their will.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The country got what they wanted, according to you in 2015...

The situation is entirely different this time. PC, SNP, UKIP and the Liberals have all declared up-front whether they'll work with Labour or the Conservatives. If you don't vote in sufficient numbers for a red or blue majority you know you will get Tory/UKIP or a Labour/SNP coalition (or a c/s or issue-by-issue arrangement). In this sense the nation will get what it voted for. Last time round none of this happened hence the muddled Tory/Liberal pact; no one knew the hung options up front like the do this time. The nation knows the possible outcomes for 2015.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The country got what they wanted, according to you in 2015...

PS you're coming across as really desperate to prove a point. Or is this yet more "teasing?"

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
To my shame I voted Tory last time. I brought the bullshit Cameron told during the election campaign of bringing aspiration back to the UK, looking after people who want to help themselves blah, blah, all ****ing HORSESHIT.

The more I see the more I believe the Tories and their members are doing everything to feather their own nests with their policies as the rich and getting richer day by day. The FSA are in bed with the High Street banks as they are best buddies and they are well known for offering high paid jobs between the two of them. The whole system in the city is corrupt.

Cameron and Osborne have killed the economy stone dead now and it will take years if not decades for the country to crawl off its knees again. The slash and burn has backfired, the debt is GOING UP ! This is due to plummetting tax revenues and increasing benefits.
They could not have got it more wrong. The only countries in the developed World in a worse position are Greece, Spain, Portugal and Ireland.

Luckily my parents have forgiven me and not written me out of their will.

Yet the news today is that unemployment is at a record low. Yes, they may partially be low-paid jobs, but they are jobs that presumably did not exist hitherto. I don't follow your logic -if they are the party that only looks after the rich, as you intimate, why have they been paying increasing benefits?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The situation is entirely different this time. PC, SNP, UKIP and the Liberals have all declared up-front whether they'll work with Labour or the Conservatives. If you don't vote in sufficient numbers for a red or blue majority you know you will get Tory/UKIP or a Labour/SNP coalition (or a c/s or issue-by-issue arrangement). In this sense the nation will get what it voted for. Last time round none of this happened hence the muddled Tory/Liberal pact; no one knew the hung options up front like the do this time. The nation knows the possible outcomes for 2015.

PS you're coming across as really desperate to prove a point. Or is this yet more "teasing?"

I'm not entirely sure I have a point. Just having read your "the country gets what the country wants" line a few times now I thought I'd invest 30 seconds of my time to see what the loonies were saying when the Tory/LibDem coalition came about and, despite what you say, I hit the jackpot immediately.

1. With the rise of UKIP it looks very likely that right, and certainly centre/right will have more votes than left this time round. Last time that happened, although not the way you favoured, you said that made the country a joke.

2. Last night, in front of the whole nation, Ed Miliband said he would not work with the SNP, and rightly so. Therefore if Labour pull in c35% of the populate vote, with people voting based on that premise, it certainly would not be "what the country wants" if a government was formed by Labour and SNP (and, maybe, others).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here