Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eggy smelling Chicken help required please

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
As NSC is the font of all knowledge, can someone give me a definitive answer to this;

Are supermarket bought chicken breasts, sealed and within sell by date, supposed to smell like rotten eggs upon opening the pack? I was looking forward to making a nice green Thai chicken curry, but the smell of the chicken (Sainsburys home delivery on Monday) was enough to make me consign it to the bin. My wife said that she thinks the sulphur smell is a by product of preservatives, but I'm not convinced. To me it smelled like the chicken had been shagged by a skunk.

In future I think I'm going to buy my meat from the shop at Secretts Farm, costs an arm and a leg but hopefully salmonella free.

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
This has to be probably the best post title of 2012 so far! :clap:

My guess, assuming the chicken hadn't succumbed to the skunk's advances, is that the "preserving atmosphere" pumped into the pack before sealing, was a bit more potent than normal?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I don't think chicken smells of anything when you open an air tight package. Even frozen chicken when defrosted smells.......neutral.
So unless your misses farted and tried to blame the poor dead or rotting chicken, take it back to where you bought it.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
Should be fine and just general odour build up

Leave the chicken on a plate for a minute or two and the strong smell will have gone.

If its still pungent then bin it

I've noticed recently that the smells seem stronger with sealed meats these days

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Any dangerous bacteria will be killed once cooked. If its in date there should not be a problem. They do say you can eat meet well past the sell by date, however i wouldn't.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Salmonella bacteria - could have given you very bad food poisoning . Good job you didn't eat it, but should have taken it back. They'd have replaced it for better, no question.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Is there any forensic evidence that a skunk had f***ed your chicken, if so then this will be a mega bucks pay out from sainsburys, free chickens for life!!!

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Fresh chicken should smell of nothing. Sounds like it's off to me. Even if its in date it could have been stored at the wrong temperature or something.

I'd take it back but to be fair, if properly cooked and all bacteria killed, you should be OK - not particularly appetising though!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
imagesCAJ8IFZD.jpg It'll be fine, its normal.

D

Deleted member 18477

Did you try washing it under the tap quickly?

Probably would have been ok once cooked but better to be safe than sorry with chicken!

Hatman1234

Aug 24, 2011
In a crater in the sea.
As NSC is the font of all knowledge, can someone give me a definitive answer to this;

Are supermarket bought chicken breasts, sealed and within sell by date, supposed to smell like rotten eggs upon opening the pack? I was looking forward to making a nice green Thai chicken curry, but the smell of the chicken (Sainsburys home delivery on Monday) was enough to make me consign it to the bin. My wife said that she thinks the sulphur smell is a by product of preservatives, but I'm not convinced. To me it smelled like the chicken had been shagged by a skunk.

In future I think I'm going to buy my meat from the shop at Secretts Farm, costs an arm and a leg but hopefully salmonella free.

Sounds like fowl play...

I'll get my coat.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Don't eat it , if the seal wasn't broken before opening the pack and it smells bad then your instinct has kicked in to tell you it's gone off. Retrieve the contents from the bin and return them to Sainsburys in person and demand a refund.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Find a decent butcher, we use one in Pulborough (one of 5 we have to chose from locally). Their chicken breasts, thighs and whole chickens are free range, reared in Sussex, and only 10/15% max dearer than sainsburys, which is next door to it.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Having suffered the consequences of "off" chicken I don't take any chances these days and even a faint whiff is enough for it to be taken back to where it was bought - even better with Sainsburys home delivery you ring them and they refund you with no fuss.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

Try buying from your local butcher you will not be disapointed,unless you live in croydon which i hope you don`t as it is a shithole and i would not wish living there on my worst enemy

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here