Please help support NSC by buying from Amazon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggy smelling Chicken help required please

The oldest known computer

Eggy smelling Chicken help required please

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    As NSC is the font of all knowledge, can someone give me a definitive answer to this;

Are supermarket bought chicken breasts, sealed and within sell by date, supposed to smell like rotten eggs upon opening the pack? I was looking forward to making a nice green Thai chicken curry, but the smell of the chicken (Sainsburys home delivery on Monday) was enough to make me consign it to the bin. My wife said that she thinks the sulphur smell is a by product of preservatives, but I'm not convinced. To me it smelled like the chicken had been shagged by a skunk.

In future I think I'm going to buy my meat from the shop at Secretts Farm, costs an arm and a leg but hopefully salmonella free.

This has to be probably the best post title of 2012 so far!

My guess, assuming the chicken hadn't succumbed to the skunk's advances, is that the "preserving atmosphere" pumped into the pack before sealing, was a bit more potent than normal?
    You can call me JC.

I don't think chicken smells of anything when you open an air tight package. Even frozen chicken when defrosted smells.......neutral.
    So unless your misses farted and tried to blame the poor dead or rotting chicken, take it back to where you bought it.
    Exiled amongst the red and white, at the wrong end of the A/M27.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.........Time to die.

Should be fine and just general odour build up

Leave the chicken on a plate for a minute or two and the strong smell will have gone.

If its still pungent then bin it

I've noticed recently that the smells seem stronger with sealed meats these days

Any dangerous bacteria will be killed once cooked. If its in date there should not be a problem. They do say you can eat meet well past the sell by date, however i wouldn't.
    Seaside is a Legend

Salmonella bacteria - could have given you very bad food poisoning . Good job you didn't eat it, but should have taken it back. They'd have replaced it for better, no question.

Is there any forensic evidence that a skunk had ****ed your chicken, if so then this will be a mega bucks pay out from sainsburys, free chickens for life!!!
    "If it's a miracle, Colour Sargeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry point 45 caliber miracle"

Fresh chicken should smell of nothing. Sounds like it's off to me. Even if its in date it could have been stored at the wrong temperature or something.

I'd take it back but to be fair, if properly cooked and all bacteria killed, you should be OK - not particularly appetising though!

If in doubt? Chuck it out!!!!! That's my motto

Name:  imagesCAJ8IFZD.jpg
Views: 3327
Size:  3.6 KB It'll be fine, its normal.
    I've started so I'll Finnish.

Did you try washing it under the tap quickly?

Probably would have been ok once cooked but better to be safe than sorry with chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by The Antikythera Mechanism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As NSC is the font of all knowledge, can someone give me a definitive answer to this;

Are supermarket bought chicken breasts, sealed and within sell by date, supposed to smell like rotten eggs upon opening the pack? I was looking forward to making a nice green Thai chicken curry, but the smell of the chicken (Sainsburys home delivery on Monday) was enough to make me consign it to the bin. My wife said that she thinks the sulphur smell is a by product of preservatives, but I'm not convinced. To me it smelled like the chicken had been shagged by a skunk.

In future I think I'm going to buy my meat from the shop at Secretts Farm, costs an arm and a leg but hopefully salmonella free.
    Sounds like fowl play...

I'll get my coat.
    Palace, Palace? Who the f*ck are Palace?

#cpfctinpotclub seagullsovergrimsby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Antikythera Mechanism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Don't eat it , if the seal wasn't broken before opening the pack and it smells bad then your instinct has kicked in to tell you it's gone off. Retrieve the contents from the bin and return them to Sainsburys in person and demand a refund.
    Response to a post by SeasideEagle on BBS - "Are you another account belonging to cpfc2010? You seem to be spouting the same bullshit."

You are going to have to serve dinner without the chicken. A paltry offering (or not).
    You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.

Find a decent butcher, we use one in Pulborough (one of 5 we have to chose from locally). Their chicken breasts, thighs and whole chickens are free range, reared in Sussex, and only 10/15% max dearer than sainsburys, which is next door to it.