Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video - Andy Rollings v Justin Fashanu (Brighton v Norwich 1979/80)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
After trying to get hold of this for many years, I've finally tracked down footage of Rollings' sending off against Fashanu. It was to be Rollo's last game at the Goldstone Ground.

It is towards the end of this match. The goals have previously been posted.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

For more vintage Albion footage, please visit Seagulls TV - Relive the Glory Years of 1976-83

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
:thumbsup: just missed out on this era,so always a pleasure to watch.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was at that game, what you don't see in the video is the fact that all through the game Fashanu had been using his elbows and Rollo had taken several thumps in and around the face before the sending off incident.
The ref had let Fash get away with loads and I think Rollo blew up when he really got lamped because he was not getting any protection from the ref.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
remember the north stand sarcastically singing 'moseley for england'

don't remember the red jersey though,did he wear that often?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
SENT OFF! for retaliation outrageous.:rolleyes: COMMENTATOR QUITE SHOCKED! OH HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED???

thing that occurs to me is that after watching MOD this morning if that game had happened now the ref would have never had the whistle out of his mouth = now its a bit of a girls game

good game though

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
thing that occurs to me is that after watching MOD this morning if that game had happened now the ref would have never had the whistle out of his mouth = now its a bit of a girls game

good game though

thought exactly the same thing this morning watching the big match revisited

fulham-grimsby,tackles really going in,but the players just used to pick themselves up and get on with it

Blackcap

Nov 6, 2011
Shoreham by Sea
SENT OFF! for retaliation outrageous.:rolleyes: COMMENTATOR QUITE SHOCKED! OH HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED???

My thoughts exactly. Brought a big smile to my face hearing the commentator sticking up for Rollings after he absolutely lamped Fash. Compare that to the pundits on MOTD last night describing those two WBA penalties as "stonewall" - the game has indeed changed, for the worse.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
My thoughts exactly. Brought a big smile to my face hearing the commentator sticking up for Rollings after he absolutely lamped Fash. Compare that to the pundits on MOTD last night describing those two WBA penalties as "stonewall" - the game has indeed changed, for the worse.

Fashanu never flinched after being whacked.

Today, he'd be rolling around the on the floor like he'd been pole axed.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Of course, Rollings and Mullery got their own back years later when they turfed Fashanu out of the Albion...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
That is absolutely superb stuff GR. That was my first EVER game, and the Rollings vs Fashanu moment was the abiding memory. I don't think I've ever seen it since that day.

Superb.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I can vividly recall my disbelief at AR getting a red considering what he'd had to put up with all through the game. Having looked at the footage though the ref didn't have much choice.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I was at that game, what you don't see in the video is the fact that all through the game Fashanu had been using his elbows and Rollo had taken several thumps in and around the face before the sending off incident.
The ref had let Fash get away with loads and I think Rollo blew up when he really got lamped because he was not getting any protection from the ref.

Absolutely, Fashanu was just as bad the following season, I think it was on either Jeff Clarke or Peter Suddaby, but still didn't get sent off. He really was an animal......... at least until he played for us of course and then it was alright.:wink:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
How memories play tricks! I thought Stevie Piper knocked Fashanu out cold? Where were the blow-up Fyfe bananas, and the renditions of our favourite songs for Fash?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Absolutely, Fashanu was just as bad the following season, I think it was on either Jeff Clarke or Peter Suddaby, but still didn't get sent off. He really was an animal......... at least until he played for us of course and then it was alright.:wink:

maybe we all know now why he had those chips on his shoulder.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
That was my first league game at the Goldstone. My first actual game was a friendly against Norwich City as well. Also my first F.A Cup game was the Quarter Final in 1983... Norwich City feature a lot in my early days...

Jul 7, 2003
Wasn't it Fash who split open Fozzie's head which led to the famous headband?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here