Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm Team CMS - and proud of it.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He seems to make bad runs as a striker to me, he always runs straight across the line of the opposition back 4 and pretty much always runs wide rather than from slightly wider to inside. Added to that he can't hold the ball up and his first touch is awful, all he really offers is the energy up there which really does help the team as the opposition defenders have no time on the ball but in the system we play right now we need more than that up top.

Don't get me wrong I like the bloke and have a lot of respect for what he gives for the team but unfortunately I'm just not sure it's working.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
He had a reasonable scoring record for this division prior to this season. One in four is not bad for a predominantly defensive team giving him little support up front. For two seasons he started well and then tailed off, suggesting he goes well when fresh.
OK we paid around £3million for him but proven strikers in this division, who do not have baggage, cost far more that that. Gambles such as Ulloa and Baldock cost rather less.

He has been ok.

The long term injury though has slowed him down and he has lost some sharpness and he cannot play the main striker role effectively. I was hopeful that perhaps he could play the support striker role, remember his pinpoint cross for Ulloa to score re Forest at the back end of last season ? However he is not now being used in that role and I doubt if he will be. He is not the player he was and the club need to recruit. He though is a far better option that Colunga who has been very disappointing so far.

It will be interesting if he is offered a new contract for next season. Much depends on what he does from now but I would not want more than say £5k a week spent on a one year deal. Thus he may well move on. He could be pretty effective for an attacking side making chances in the First Division.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ball comes down, strikes him on the toe and goes out for a throw in. Says it all about his great touch.
Yes, that was an utterly embarrassing lack of skill wasn't it? It was a fairly difficult ball to take as it came down with snow on it, but a half decent touch could have seen him either running at a single back-pedalling defender or maybe even racing clear. Instead as you said, it came off his toe and rolled harmlessly towards the touchline with him in pursuit, huffing and puffing in an effort to cheekily force a throw to us by hitting it against the defender's legs. Utterly village.

I wonder whether Hyppia will look to offload him in the January window? I reckon he could be quite affective for a league one play off chasing team. Maybe if one of them sells their star striker, we might get £500-600k for him? I'd definitely take that.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The one thing he did have going for him was his pace and constant running, looks like he has (understandably) lost a bit of pace since his injury. Result: He is not a Championship player any longer (if he ever was)

Even in his glory years with Peterborough, he didn't score that many when they were in the Championship.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He runs at defenders
He falls on the ground
He just cant score the goals
He just cant score the goals

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
Let's face it. He has had time to prove himself and hasn't... loads of excuses have been made but he is a LEAGUE 1 striker. Nice guy but not good enough...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Be honest, do you think CMS would have scored if he'd played the full 90?
I'd like to think so.
I've not been saying anything different to anybody else.
Give CMS the chances then judge him on his performance.
Last night he had 2 chances and played them like a man low on confidence and form, back from a long lay off.
Had he played the full 90 with at least 2 more clear cut chances I'd like to think he'd score.
Bruno 'bennetted' a second half cross, that's just CMS' lot, at the moment.
Had he not scored we wouldn't be having the debate, I would be smelling coffee.
Wake up and smell the coffee.

Clearly we can all see the team is edging to where everybody wants it to be.
Baldock, CMS whoever ought to be gearing themselves to score a hat full.

I'm not going to right off CMS, just yet.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Had he played the full 90 with at least 2 more clear cut chances I'd like to think he'd score..

Think all you like. He didn't with the two he was given. FACT not speculation.

Sorry but I have literally no idea of what that means. What I do know is Bruno did score. FACT not speculation.

I refer you to my fist point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry but I have literally no idea of what that means. .
At the start of the second half, Bruno had a regulation cross to the 6 yard box where CMS was.
Just like Bennett on Saturday Bruno kick the ball high into the stand.

Had both of them done a Calde v Bolton, the doom surrounding CMS would be considerably less doomy.

Obviously the alternative is they did put in a Caldesque cross and CMS still missed, at which point the doomy doom would be fairly universal.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
At the start of the second half, Bruno had a regulation cross to the 6 yard box where CMS was.
Just like Bennett on Saturday Bruno kick the ball high into the stand.

Had both of them done a Calde v Bolton, the doom surrounding CMS would be considerably less doomy.

Obviously the alternative is they did put in a Caldesque cross and CMS still missed, at which point the doomy doom would be fairly universal.

You haven't seen enough after three and bit seasons of this?

I think it was pretty obvious after three and a bit games myself.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'd like to think so.
I've not been saying anything different to anybody else.
Give CMS the chances then judge him on his performance.
Last night he had 2 chances and played them like a man low on confidence and form, back from a long lay off.
Had he played the full 90 with at least 2 more clear cut chances I'd like to think he'd score.

I'm not going to right off CMS, just yet.
But most people seem to have acknowledged his obvious flaws, and how long can his injury be used as an excuse? He was playing at the end of last season, had a full pre season and has played 10 games of the current league season?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You haven't seen enough after three and bit seasons of this?

I think it was pretty obvious after three and a bit games myself.

This. FFS it is obvious to anyone watching the game that CMS is bang average at best, and was consequently a complete waste of money from a relatively small war chest.

With hindsight, I can't believe Poyet went anywhere near him in the first place. We played Peterborough twice during our title winning season, we won comfortable (especially at theirs) and CMS didn't get a sniff.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
He could still be running aroung the Amex pitch now and wouldnt be able to score, even with all the Cardiff team back in Wales.

Anybody who still thinks that CMS is good enough for this division is in denial. He wasn't up to it before he had his injury and sure as hell not up to it now.

Shame as it is because he does come across as genuinely decent human with a fantastic work ethic.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I quite admire Stat Brother's stand.

I couldn't disagree with him more but loyalty is an admirable trait. Clearly he'll be all up in our faces when CMS scores his inevitable screamer for the year.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I quite admire Stat Brother's stand. I couldn't disagree with him more but loyalty is an admirable trait.

Blind loyalty in football isn't admirable IMO. It's madness. Remember Micky Adams MkII and how he persisted with a system that even my young children could see wasn't working? Virgo on the pitch, always defend a lead, no substitutions until the 80th minute and always a defender on for an attacker...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here