Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 catering price hike - justified?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Agreed. It's all very well having very nice pies, and they are brilliant compared to standard football ground food, but can they really justify pretty much £4 for one? You can buy a pie to feed your FAMILY for that in the supermarket. Similarly, £3.90 or £4.10 for a pint of what most of us would regard as shit beer/cider options is not really on. I can buy a bottle of Bulmers or Magners for that money in plenty of pubs, so why would I want to pay it for a plastic cup of Strongbow?

Exactly.
You are supposedly getting a reduced price deal, but are still effectively paying £3.50 for a pint and £3.50 for a pie, and that's a discounted price for buying both. It may not seem it to some, but i've just told my dad this, and you suddenly realise now that paying £7 is a fair bit of money for what you get. I do nothing on a Saturday morning, so it would be no hassle to pop into town and go for lunch, breakfast or whatever in a pub/cafe and then go for a beer. You could probably do that quite easily for a similar price to an (all be it very nice) pie in a cardboard box, having queued for 30 minutes, and a pint in a plastic cup you have 5 minutes to drink or risk missing the game.

The food is very impressive, but if prices do go up I can see a lot of people thinking £7 for a pie and a drink quite expensive. But that's just me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I see that Azure have increased the platinum package from £38 last year to £41 this year. An increase of 8%. If you are a 1901 member, do you think this is justified?

Whilst it got a little better as the season progressed, the standard of catering, service etc remained, in my and the opinion of other 1901 members that I know, at times quite woeful.

A statement acknowledging the shortcomings of last season and as a result there had been something of a shake up would have been much more welcome. To be honest if that was accompanied by words to the effect of ' as a result of our invsetigations we have concluded that the only way we can provide a satisfactory service and provide value for money is to increase the price' I would be a little mollified. But an increase to £41 for something that wasn't satisfactory before the increase and without any acknowldgement of the fact throughout, simply dents my faith in Azure even further.

Might have got it wrong, but aren't the 1901'ers a captive audience for five years? In which case, woludn't hold your breath for it getting any better before year four. Just saying, like. :shrug:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My guess would be that they have it spot on in terms of squeezing money out of us...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
after a 3 course meal do u really want pie and then cake? lol..i'd struggle to get out of my seat after that lot

I cannot speak for others but I have no problem devouring pies and cake after a three course meal. It's what life was made for.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There is another option - eat something before the game but sadly misunderstood

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It appears Azure are slapping on an 8% rise across the board. I will be interested to hear their spin about this.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Might have got it wrong, but aren't the 1901'ers a captive audience for five years? In which case, woludn't hold your breath for it getting any better before year four. Just saying, like. :shrug:

And if the prices go up and the offer doesn't become excellent, more and more people will not pay for it. We may be captive regarding the seat and 'lounge' but we are under no obligation to buy any food or drink, at all. Until it is reported as excellent, I won't be parting with £41 any time soon.

There is another option - eat something before the game but sadly misunderstood

That's exactly what we do, park BF, train into town for lunch, train back for a pint of Amstel or Harvey's pre match. Azure, sort it out, or more will be doing this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair, do you want us to sign Vicente or would you be happy with us getting in a Mark Farrington type player???
Apprecaite it is an out sourced company but it eventually make money for our club, if we get promoted I would expect everything to go up a little

Azure's motivation for raising prices is not money for better players. If this increase swells Azure's profit then a welcome corollary will be more pennies for the Albion but the driver is Azure's profits alone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Swan do a great barbecue before the game on a Saturday,beats the crap out of the cold burgers and warmed up pies served at Falmer.

BBQ swan, perfect for the discerning 1901er what?

Nov 20, 2003
hove
A new exec chef Alan Lucas starts soon after Olympics have finished he works for a comp. called Create who do racedays at plumpton hope he lasts longer than the last one.Just looked at there website ,not bad .If your asking for a source ask him he makes f***ing hundreds of them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
BBQ swan, perfect for the discerning 1901er what?

You know full well you are More likely to get a battery farmed dried out chicken joint, stewed in a nondescript sauce claiming to be Provence or some such. Failing that a cheap lamb shank (the cheapest cut of all) with the flavour masked by over seasoned goo. Frankly, if they roased us a swan, they'd ruin that too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You know full well you are More likely to get a battery farmed dried out chicken joint, stewed in a nondescript sauce claiming to be Provence or some such. Failing that a cheap lamb shank (the cheapest cut of all) with the flavour masked by over seasoned goo. Frankly, if they roased us a swan, they'd ruin that too.

Ouch. A bit harsh. I think you have to accept the 1901 catering for what it is, somewhat pricey mass catering. This will not change. In this context and in the second half of the season the food and service was good IMHO.

Mar 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Yeah I noticed that. I think it's probably a mistake though.

This is from the latest email:

Platinum package includes:
(For Chelsea and all league matches)

Three-course meal with tea and coffee prior to the match
Half-time cakes with tea and coffee
Full-time cake with tea and coffee

But this is from the email on the 16th:

Platinum package includes:

Three-course meal prior to the match
Half- time tea, coffee and cake
Full time tea, coffee and pies

I think two courses of cake is excessive so I'm inclined to believe that pies will still be included.

Errr! Would you like to re read that e mail? Clearly states pies after the game!

Just saying like!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why is anyone surprised ?

I always view these facilities like first class air or train travel, even 5 star hotels.

They are only better than the normal experience. In isolation they don't offer value for money, but that's not what's on offer. You are paying a premium NOT to sit somewhere else.

That's why I would never take up the option unless offered it at the same price or free. Because the rest of the stadium is very very nice.

The club will continue to up the prices for the limited market who feel the need to eat a sit down meal at a football stadium. I don't understand them but they are probably subsidising my seat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here