Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newhaven - great value for money property wise - dump or place on the up?

kalinx

Jan 11, 2006
Hi All

I am a Brighton boy who is moving back to sussex to work after going away to uni. I am a first time buyer looking for a 2/3 bedroom house. Obviously I cannot afford Brighton/Hove.

I have always had a soft spot for newhaven, used to fish on the arm. Real cmmunity real in the town. Ive heard people say they think it is a town on the up.

What are NSC's thoughts?

D

Deleted member 22389

Hi All

I am a Brighton boy who is moving back to sussex to work after going away to uni. I am a first time buyer looking for a 2/3 bedroom house. Obviously I cannot afford Brighton/Hove.

I have always had a soft spot for newhaven, used to fish on the arm. Real cmmunity real in the town. Ive heard people say they think it is a town on the up.

What are NSC's thoughts?

There are worse places in this country than Newhaven. If the plans go ahead the whole marina is going to be redeveloped. Newhaven is slowly on the up. If they go ahead its going to look great. I can't stand these supermarkets but it is the only way it is going to get re-developed because that side of Newhaven is now so run down. Parker Pen empty along with many other factories. Newhaven used to employ thousands of people.

Regenerating Eastside Newhaven

Multi-million pound development for Newhaven given go ahead From The Argus)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
One assumes you aren't going to live there for the rest of your life and as a means of getting on the property ladder it might be a sensible option. But it's always going to be a bit downtrodden I think. Taking unfashionable London suburbs and regenerating them is one thing, an out of the way seaside town away from the main commuter links is another. No disrespect to the place but it is what it is, and I wouldn't live there out of choice

Last edited:

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
You've only got to shit shave and shower there

Only 20 mins from Brighton and Eastbourne plus countryside and coast

Why Not ??

Plus also within the travel zone !!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It's OK used to go there quite a bit when I lived in Peacehaven.

As stated if it means getting on the property ladder then best to do it.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
There are worse places in this country than Newhaven. If the plans go ahead the whole marina is going to be redeveloped. Newhaven is slowly on the up. If they go ahead its going to look great. I can't stand these supermarkets but it is the only way it is going to get re-developed because that side of Newhaven is now so run down. Parker Pen empty along with many other factories. Newhaven used to employ thousands of people.

Regenerating Eastside Newhaven

Multi-million pound development for Newhaven given go ahead From The Argus)

No it isn't. The council went for the highest bidder which is a huge asda and barret homes nearer to the incinerator. The other bid which promised to regenerate the harbour, new ferry terminal etc was rejected. A real shame that.

D

Deleted member 22389

The only thing ruining Newhaven at the moment is that shitty incinerator.

D

Deleted member 22389

No it isn't. The council went for the highest bidder which is a huge asda and barret homes nearer to the incinerator. The other bid which promised to regenerate the harbour, new ferry terminal etc was rejected. A real shame that.

Hopefully someone will come along and develop that part at a later date. At least something is being done in Newhaven slowly. It has a lot of potential. I remember a time when they had 3 ferries running that route to Dieppe. The port is so run down as you know. We just hope Transmanche don't pull out.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
Well it has a nice sandy beach. Oh no, the French won't let us use it. Well there's a great breakwater to walk along. Oh no the French won't let us use that either.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It's the worst town in Sussex in my opinion. It has no heart and no decent pubs. You couldn't pay me to live there.

Have you not been to Crawley?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

That decision was absolutely perverse and I'm really surprised nobody decided to challenge it in the courts.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Well it has a nice sandy beach. Oh no, the French won't let us use it. Well there's a great breakwater to walk along. Oh no the French won't let us use that either.

I thought the Sand beach was shut due to safety reason, as the access steps are now deemed unsafe

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I thought the Sand beach was shut due to safety reason, as the access steps are now deemed unsafe

The steps are no more unsafe now then when I used to play on that beach in the Summer 20 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here