Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best football for a 6 year old

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
He's been doing a bit of footy at school, but he is small for his age and I've not pushed him into any club football training yet - I'll give you a buzz when he's ready.

I knew the JJB ones aren't up to much, hence the thread. Appreciate the offer about the ball, but I'd like to get him a shiny new one in a box for his Bday. Would be good to know which ones you use, and especially the ones your U7's prefer.

Just been to our equipment supplier Premier Sport. Pop by and I can give you a size 3 or 4 would would normally retail for £15 and show you the differences - size 3 is definitely better and lighter mate.

On another note- now got under 7s team for next year. Need a few more players so let me know if he's signed onto anyone for next year and if not we will get up for a couple of training sessions :)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Seagulls FC run u7 to u16. See website seagullsfc.co.uk.
Recommended ball is a size 3 for that age.
Best go to a decent sports shop to evaluate quality and weight of ball. However, at this age, even the poorervquality balls last a fair time asvthey don't get that hammered.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Our son is 6 and is using a mitre cierra size 5, he loves it and would sleep with it if it didn't roll out all the time! They aren't hard at all and kind on growing feet and misplaced headers.

Jul 7, 2003
I have, among others such as [MENTION=1877]supaseagull[/MENTION] whose club runs some teams. I may have got him going a bit early before, and took him to Wish Park on a Saturday morning and it was all a bit daunting, and to be honest, at times 1 coach for 20 U8's is not ideal. He got on with it, but didn't enjoy it in the end so I didn't force him. The same coach at Wish Park actually came to his school (Benfield) and they played indoors with a soft ball and he really developed and has started to show some good control and touch when we play in the park - hence the thread about getting him a proper decent ball.

Whoever ran a session with 1 coach to 20 u8's really shouldn't be coaching kids football. Ideally you need one coach for every 6-8 players at that age. I used to coach with AITC and loved coaching the 5-8 year olds but we always made sure that they were in small groups - usually a coach and assistant for every 10 boys. I'd recommend looking for one of the AITC soccer schools for your lad as a great place to learn the game while having fun if he doesn't want to join a team at this time.

Whatever you do, don't get him a size 5 ball. As others have said, he should have a size 3 which will be an appropriate size and weight for him. You can get good quality size 3 ball from proper sports shops (not Sports Direct or JJB) for around a tenner.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
He's been doing a bit of footy at school, but he is small for his age and I've not pushed him into any club football training yet - I'll give you a buzz when he's ready.

I knew the JJB ones aren't up to much, hence the thread. Appreciate the offer about the ball, but I'd like to get him a shiny new one in a box for his Bday. Would be good to know which ones you use, and especially the ones your U7's prefer.

No worries mate...We use Uhlsport M Konzept balls they're relatively new but they're really good quality.

I've got 200 of them uninflated sitting in my cupboard under the stairs at the moment and the lads who've played with them are 7 and say they're "really cool"!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No worries mate...We use Uhlsport M Konzept balls they're relatively new but they're really good quality.

I've got 200 of them uninflated sitting in my cupboard under the stairs at the moment and the lads who've played with them are 7 and say they're "really cool"!

I'm sending you a PM, sounds good. This will be the 2nd time you've helped with his birthdays!!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

whoops, double post.....

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Whoever ran a session with 1 coach to 20 u8's really shouldn't be coaching kids football. Ideally you need one coach for every 6-8 players at that age. I used to coach with AITC and loved coaching the 5-8 year olds but we always made sure that they were in small groups - usually a coach and assistant for every 10 boys. I'd recommend looking for one of the AITC soccer schools for your lad as a great place to learn the game while having fun if he doesn't want to join a team at this time.

Whatever you do, don't get him a size 5 ball. As others have said, he should have a size 3 which will be an appropriate size and weight for him. You can get good quality size 3 ball from proper sports shops (not Sports Direct or JJB) for around a tenner.

I understand your sentiments, but be careful when judging other coaches, some of the worst coaches of youngsters are those that use the correct size balls and the best soccer equipment.

You know the ones, 'Billy Smart Circus Coaches', mini hurdles, speed ladders, slalom poles, it doesn't always represent appropriate 'coaching' for 6 year olds.

Jul 7, 2003
I understand your sentiments, but be careful when judging other coaches, some of the worst coaches of youngsters are those that use the correct size balls and the best soccer equipment.

You know the ones, 'Billy Smart Circus Coaches', mini hurdles, speed ladders, slalom poles, it doesn't always represent appropriate 'coaching' for 6 year olds.

I know exactly what you mean - they've got a Level 1 certificate and think they know it all. I was lucky enough to be able to learn from some great kids coaches. However, even if you ignore the football side of things where the kids at that age need closer tuition, basic child safety tells you that one coach for twenty kids is not the way to do it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My 14 month old daughter gets her foot caught on ou sponge ball - It often is like a weird Cruyff style bit of skill - proud :)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
My 14 month old daughter gets her foot caught on ou sponge ball - It often is like a weird Cruyff style bit of skill - proud :)

Stick her in a baby bouncer and boot the ball at her, thats what we used to do to our brother. he turned out alright.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I can fully understand you want the correct size, but worrying about the quality of a football you're buying for a six year old seems a bit over the top to me. He's not going to give a toss if it's an Adidas Tango or it cost three quid in Sports Direct, is he?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can fully understand you want the correct size, but worrying about the quality of a football you're buying for a six year old seems a bit over the top to me. He's not going to give a toss if it's an Adidas Tango or it cost three quid in Sports Direct, is he?

pfft. Girl.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I know exactly what you mean - they've got a Level 1 certificate and think they know it all. I was lucky enough to be able to learn from some great kids coaches. However, even if you ignore the football side of things where the kids at that age need closer tuition, basic child safety tells you that one coach for twenty kids is not the way to do it.

Ratio 1:20 with 6 year olds, cannot be enjoyable for the 'coach' let alone the development aspect of those kids.

I was just a little surprised how many seemed to respond that anything other than the precise size 3 ( non sportsdirect ) football should be considered, otherwise that child was doomed to a life of football purgatory and Dad condemned to the naughty chair.

I cannot help thinking that our South American/European and African players must chuckle, when they recall their own football upbringing, whilst still offering greater technical excellence than us.

I accept appropriate training aids are helpful, but enjoyment, fun and practice, be it with an old can, balloon or even 'god forbid' a size 4 ball from Sportsdirect !!!

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand

Sigh. You'd get on well with my Dad who crafted me a cricket bat out of pinus radiata. Couldn't even lift the thing.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

My pension is riding on this one Edna, he needs to make it or I'm f*cked in old age!!

He's getting the best possible ball for his age of development - end of.

Ha, I jest, it's probably me that will be more bothered about the ball than him.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was just a little surprised how many seemed to respond that anything other than the precise size 3 ( non sportsdirect ) football should be considered, otherwise that child was doomed to a life of football purgatory and Dad condemned to the naughty chair.

I cannot help thinking that our South American/European and African players must chuckle, when they recall their own football upbringing, whilst still offering greater technical excellence than us.

I accept appropriate training aids are helpful, but enjoyment, fun and practice, be it with an old can, balloon or even 'god forbid' a size 4 ball from Sportsdirect !!!

I think because I've asked, then advice has been given. I'm sure if someone bought him a size 4 from Asda it would be fine and he'd be delighted. However, I'd rather get one that enhances his enjoyment and is easy for him to play with. My dad always told me the stories of Pele learning to play with rags in the street, but you can bet your life they spent ages putting the combination of material together to create their best possible home made ball. Get the best you can, whether the best can, tennis ball, best sized balloon or whatever I say!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Have you tried a futsal ball. Deliberately heavy and not for kicking hard but great for learning to control the ball at your feet. For a standard ball I agree with all those that say size three.

I was going to suggest this.

And Happy Birthday!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think because I've asked, then advice has been given. I'm sure if someone bought him a size 4 from Asda it would be fine and he'd be delighted. However, I'd rather get one that enhances his enjoyment and is easy for him to play with. My dad always told me the stories of Pele learning to play with rags in the street, but you can bet your life they spent ages putting the combination of material together to create their best possible home made ball. Get the best you can, whether the best can, tennis ball, best sized balloon or whatever I say!

My comment was a wee bit tongue in cheek ....

But I think some of the replies offered a common psyche of how grassroots football may be improved, I just happen to think that equipment is a little further down the list than others.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here