Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best football for a 6 year old

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One of my sons is turning 6 next week and I want to get him a decent football. We've had a few different balls over the years, some too big, too heavy etc. I want to get one that is the right size, and an ideal weight plus durable.

I've had a look around, but some size 4's are as heavy as a full size ball, and others are too light like a penny floater.

Any suggestions please?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Size 3 at six, I would go online and get a Mitre Match ball as this is what most likely he will play with when he joins a team.

Sitch

Jul 3, 2011
Size 4 or 5 for me, I'd want my kid getting used to a real football from an early age.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Size 4 or 5 for me, I'd want my kid getting used to a real football from an early age.

Whats the point if he cant control or kick it properly? retarded.

Get something the right size and weight and practice technique, obviously at the age of 6 its all about fun so hes going to want something he can shoot with, give a 6 year old a size 5 and the balls going to go about two foot.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008

General consensus is, as in most areas, that kids are best off learning with something appropriate to their size.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whats the point if he cant control or kick it properly? retarded.

Get something the right size and weight and practice technique, obviously at the age of 6 its all about fun so hes going to want something he can shoot with, give a 6 year old a size 5 and the balls going to go about two foot.

This.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
One of my sons is turning 6 next week and I want to get him a decent football. We've had a few different balls over the years, some too big, too heavy etc. I want to get one that is the right size, and an ideal weight plus durable.

I've had a look around, but some size 4's are as heavy as a full size ball, and others are too light like a penny floater.

Any suggestions please?

Hi buddy- size three are the best for your lad at the moment.

Don't be ripped off by the rubbish JJB balls they don't last very long.

When I get home I'll check if I have any spare that you can have.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hi buddy- size three are the best for your lad at the moment.

Don't be ripped off by the rubbish JJB balls they don't last very long.

When I get home I'll check if I have any spare that you can have.

He's been doing a bit of footy at school, but he is small for his age and I've not pushed him into any club football training yet - I'll give you a buzz when he's ready.

I knew the JJB ones aren't up to much, hence the thread. Appreciate the offer about the ball, but I'd like to get him a shiny new one in a box for his Bday. Would be good to know which ones you use, and especially the ones your U7's prefer.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Have you considered Albion development centre training for your boy Bold Seagull? Really good coaches who teach boys from 5 upwards, my boy has been going since he was 6 and really enjoys it :)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Have you considered Albion development centre training for your boy Bold Seagull? Really good coaches who teach boys from 5 upwards, my boy has been going since he was 6 and really enjoys it :)

I have, among others such as [MENTION=1877]supaseagull[/MENTION] whose club runs some teams. I may have got him going a bit early before, and took him to Wish Park on a Saturday morning and it was all a bit daunting, and to be honest, at times 1 coach for 20 U8's is not ideal. He got on with it, but didn't enjoy it in the end so I didn't force him. The same coach at Wish Park actually came to his school (Benfield) and they played indoors with a soft ball and he really developed and has started to show some good control and touch when we play in the park - hence the thread about getting him a proper decent ball.

Jul 5, 2003
Have you tried a futsal ball. Deliberately heavy and not for kicking hard but great for learning to control the ball at your feet. For a standard ball I agree with all those that say size three.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here