Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mattock to Sheff Weds?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Dont see what the problem is. Painter can do a job still.

No he can't, he really really can't.

Would be gutted to miss out Mattock, but if they are paying him £20k a week then good luck to them. They took Gardner off Palace too so they are certainly splashing the cash, shit or bust for them. Anyone that thinks we should just change our wage budget to sign these players at whatever price, are utter bellends.

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
If he is on 20k per week then sod it. Mattock is probably one of the best left backs I have seen play for us in the terms that he is solid but can we do better? Yes, there are certainly going to be better left backs about on cheaper wages or of relative standard. If we are looking to progress then Painter simply CANNOT be out left bacl next season. He is solid, consistent a 6/10 on a good day BUT he cannot attack in this division. The amount of times he just aimlessley put's the winger under pressure with awful short passes is criminal. He almost single handedly ruled Lua Lua out of most games they made up the left side. It's as if he doesnt see he has another 9 players on the pitch.

Not forgetting his complete lack of pace
The Amex pitch found him out big time last season

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sh1t! Was really hoping and expecting he would sign for us... maybe this rumor is false?

Sitch

Jul 3, 2011
Don't know where people are getting this 20k a week wage from, he's most likely to be earning around 7/8k, I doubt West Brom were paying him anywhere near 20k for christ sake, be realistic guys.

stickboy

Banned
May 30, 2012
Unless you havn't seem him play this season he is well out his depth in the Championship, id go as far as to say a complete liability

Thanks. yes Ive seen him play and is shocking but if we dont get mattock then painter will start. Just means we'll have to defend the left flank more to cover him till we find a good replacment.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I'm not to fussed with Mattock going to Wednesday, if this indeed true. We must have other targets on our list, which are suitable for our wage structure and is better at defending then Mattock was. Yes he was fantastic going forward, but defensively wise he was a liability at times.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Thanks. yes Ive seen him play and is shocking but if we dont get mattock then painter will start. Just means we'll have to defend the left flank more to cover him till we find a good replacment.

NO NO NO

If we do not get a decent replacement, then our exceptionally talented Romain Vincelot is hugely better and also a terrific utility player alternatively in midfield.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I love the "need to sort out our wage budget asap" comment.

We have sorted it out. It is what it is. We are not Pompey, waving imaginary money around and ending up thirty nautical miles up Shit Creek. We spend what we can afford to spend, and anyone on here or elsewhere that thinks we should be picking up players for more than that is both deluded and utterly stupid.

That's what a BUDGET is for, people. It tells us how much money we have. Have a chat with Mr Micawber if you want to know the basic principle.

Exactly. Bloom wants to run the club as a well run business. As it should be. Nothing more needs to be said.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That sounds easy, but does Tony Bloom plan on running us in the long run or waving the white flag and handing us over to any old sailor?

Or administrator, because that's where these crazy wage demands send a club. We all want the best available players at our club but not if it puts its future at risk.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I swear there was a quote the other day (Argus??) saying he was currently on four figure wages which wouldn't be a problem. I dunno where 20k came from - but if he wants that he can get it elsewhere, full-backs don't earn that money until they're in the Prem. Or if they're called Paul Konchesky. Edna was spot on earlier in this thread- we CANNOT afford to spend 20k a week on a single player (over £1m per year!!!) and anyone gutted we're not doing that is a simpleton. We're run properly, not like Pompey. That is silly money, no matter how many pies we eat.

Greg halford anybody?

Is a right back?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Funny, i've just emailed a pic of adam to my Swindon supporting mate to remind him of that rainy evening

That's funny, I do that every now and then too.

If Mattock is going to Sheffield Wednesday on £20k a week, or even half of that, he wouldn't have been worth it. We'll have other irons in other fires.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
That's funny, I do that every now and then too.

If Mattock is going to Sheffield Wednesday on £20k a week, or even half of that, he wouldn't have been worth it. We'll have other irons in other fires.

This. He is good and it will be a shame if we miss out, but £20k a week is stupid money. He is not worth that. If this is the case, I'm sure gus and bloom will move on to other options.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here