Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HELP!!!!! I've got chicken pox

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I'm bloody 39 for god sake and woken up with blisters all over my face and torso. I'm pissed off because I recently started a new job and now I'll have to be in quarantine for a week. Any one else had it late in life.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I'm bloody 39 for god sake and woken up with blisters all over my face and torso. I'm pissed off because I recently started a new job and now I'll have to be in quarantine for a week. Any one else had it late in life.

Yes bloody horrible. It was so bad for me I was happy to die. Tried calamine lotion and all sorts of things to stop the intense itchiness but eventually found piriton worked really well.

It had the double benefit of making me sleepy too.

Good luck and don't scratch the blighters on your face :)

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
Had it as a 31 year old - horrible, horrible. Couldn't shave for 2 weeks, felt like shit. Was worse to start with, by the time the spots were rampant felt a bit better, so hopefully you'll be over the worst soon. Even spots on my knob. Frightening...

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Sounds weird but ground oatmeal in a bath works really well; did so with my kids anyway. made my coffee grinder a bit strange for a while after though as i used it to grind porridge oats

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Thanks fella, I'll try piriton. I knew something was wrong because the last couple of days I've had intense boughts shivers then I've been burning up then back to shivers again. I'm now probably going to infect my 2 kids so it'll be around for weeks.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

i had it when i was 35 - sorry to say mate if you get a bad dose - you will be off work for at least 3 weeks - its f***ing terrible - but you have the footy i spose - you will start to feel really bad i am afraid very feverish in the next few days. Get the doc round there is some drug they give cant remember what it is but is treat the symptoms of herpes (form of chicken pox) and works well. Good luck and dont sratch the fuckers.....

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
When my boy one had it one christmas we found a cream with calamine in it which you keep in the fridge, was the only thing that stopped him scratching himself to pieces.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Tough luck spotty! I had it when I was 7 years old and the best thing was it was on the last day of the Christmas School holidays,2 more extra weeks off School - result!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I had chicken pox when I was five. Still got a couple of permanent marks on my face where I scratched the scabs. My dad caught it from me and he was off work for ages.

At least it's not the dreaded mumps......

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
You have my sympathy mate. I got it when I was 25, started feeling the symptoms on my way home from the Play Off Final against Notts County at Wembley. I remember getting home and passing out in the bathroom. Next day, I was covered in spots, they were in my hair, down my throat, inside my eyelids, disgusting, I couldn't shave for weeks. It hits you a lot harder if you get it later in life, I thought I was dying! Hope you feel better soon.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I had it 2 years ago aged 43. After the first week you will feel better but look bloody horrible! Expect to be signed off for 3 weeks, and do not be selfish enough to go back to work early as that is really unfair on colleagues. Great chance to catch up on some decorating or gardening though!

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
In some ways you are lucky although you have my sympathies. I contracted chicken pox once and the symptoms did not manifest themselves as they should and I am now prone to shingles. This is a particular nuisance on the cornea of one of my eyes, and when I suffer any stress it flairs up and has to be treated with Zovirax eye ointment and steroid drops. If left I could loose the sight in that eye.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
My mum told me she used to deliberatley take me round to her friends houses when i was little when their kids had things like Cicken Pox, Mumps etc so i would get them all and done with it ha ha !!
There is logic in mothers behaviour sometimes bless her !!

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
I got it at 41 , went to the doctors cos i didnt know what was wrong and he laughed at me saying I was the oldest case he had ever had !
He gave me some pills to take the edge off it and personally didn't find it that bad , spotty chest but hardly any on the face. Back at work after 8 days off........

Lush

Mods' Pet
Thanks for the tips guys. Been feeling weird all day, (yes even weirder than normal) really spaced out and groggy. And the bloody spots on my head are driving me mental

Bless you. Just take care of yourself and remember. IT WILL BE CRAP BUT IT WILL PASS.

Seem to remember the calamine cream is better than the calamine lotion, which just dries all crusty.

Other suggestions:

Lanes' tea tree and witch hazel cream (can get in Sainsburys etc in beauty section)

Gel from chemist called virasoothe (boots and other chemists have it)

Oatmeal seems popular - can put some in a sock/foot of tights and use like a wash mitt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here