Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
As I'm sure you know Triggaar, there's an avalanche of Shard images out there, all a much of a muchness. if you can produce something that's a little bit out of the ordinary and different to what's already out there, there's a good chance the it will sell, and sell well. Tidy sum would be difficult to predict exactly, but I would hope for four figures over the next 5 years. This is one that's doing quite well at the moment

5.jpg

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As I'm sure you know Triggaar, there's an avalanche of Shard images out there, all a much of a muchness. if you can produce something that's a little bit out of the ordinary and different to what's already out there, there's a good chance the it will sell, and sell well. Tidy sum would be difficult to predict exactly, but I would hope for four figures over the next 5 years. This is one that's doing quite well at the moment

View attachment 64318
That is tidy. I don't do landscapes, architecture or library work.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Actually this Black and White version of the above is actually selling better, particularly in the US for some reason.

28.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Shot a shed load of images in London on Tuesday afternoon/evening for my libraries and agencies

View attachment 64316
How do you get that sort of painted effect to this photo (look at the people in the foreground). If you compare it with the Darth Vader picture above which is just a very clear photo, you'll see what I mean, but I'm sure you do anyway?

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
There's no special painted effect Jack. I have pumped up the contrast/saturation of the reflection behind the people though using a mixture of the burn and the tat tools in Lightroom 5

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Actually this Black and White version of the above is actually selling better, particularly in the US for some reason.

Love both versions. Would it be rude to ask for a view of the untweaked original?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
As part of my daily ritual, I look at Flickr/Explore/Recent Photos. Invariably, there will be around ten or so photos of toys, usually Lego People in various situations, or dolls. I can understand where 99% of photographers are coming from with their shots, even if I'm not keen on the photo. However, I just don't get this toy thing, especially the dolls, which I've always had a bit of a phobia of! It is just me, or can someone explain?
This is the sort of thing I mean. 50 People have "favouritted" this. Maybe it is just me?!!

Attachments

• Doll.JPG
    Doll.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Last night's moon, taken from Brighton sea front.

Attachments

• Moon.jpg
    Moon.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 122

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
However, I just don't get this toy thing, especially the dolls, which I've always had a bit of a phobia of! It is just me
That does nothing for me either, it just looks like a poorly thought out photo (I wouldn't mind if the bag wasn't in the background), but it might be a little bit you, since you have a phobia of dolls.

Nice shot of the moon. I'm surprised you didn't up your shutter speed and use f8 or so, and sacrifice a little ISO to help with sharpness, but it's come out well anyway so what do I know :) What lens did you use?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Nice shot of the moon. I'm surprised you didn't up your shutter speed and use f8 or so, and sacrifice a little ISO to help with sharpness, but it's come out well anyway so what do I know :) What lens did you use?
Nikon D7100 and 80-400 lens. I'm still getting the hang of ISO. I put it on 100 and had the camera on S setting for a few seconds. I was also slightly pissed having been out to dinner with friends, but I thought the moon had to be shot as it looked so stunning! Next time, I'll reduce the speed and try a higher ISO. Thanks for the nice comment and advice.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was also slightly pissed having been out to dinner with friends
Show off. Both for being able to take a good picture of the moon while pissed, and also for having friends.
Next time, I'll reduce the speed and try a higher ISO. Thanks for the nice comment and advice.
Well take my advice with a pinch of salt, I've not got a decent shot of the moon (my excuse is that I don't have a long lens). But, assuming you got the exposure right and didn't have to adjust it much, I don't think a few stops ISO will hurt, and a bit faster and f8 or f11 may make it even sharper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here