Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Out of interest, where do you display your photos for sale, or are you professional?

Yes, I am professional and have been for 20 years.

I work by commission most of the time, but I also shoot for various libraries and agencies in the UK and Europe.

Its tough out there, but here's the type of stuff I do My Photography

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Yes, I am professional and have been for 20 years.

I work by commission most of the time, but I also shoot for various libraries and agencies in the UK and Europe.

Its tough out there, but here's the type of stuff I do My Photography

Thanks Shingle - makes the rest of us look quite amateurish:).

Some people recommend putting pictures on those open access sites. Are the chances of getting a buyer pretty slim?

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Thanks Shingle - makes the rest of us look quite amateurish:).

Some people recommend putting pictures on those open access sites. Are the chances of getting a buyer pretty slim?

How many images have you got that you think are saleable, and what's the subject matter

Took this one recently and its selling well to calendars and magazines

View attachment 63983

Never tire of that view but despite it being within easy reach I haven't been there for years - must get down there for some pix over the summer. Had a look at your website and the Houses of Parliament shot is stunning.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Never tire of that view but despite it being within easy reach I haven't been there for years - must get down there for some pix over the summer. Had a look at your website and the Houses of Parliament shot is stunning.

You're in good company NP, it's one of my biggest sellers

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
When the sun came on again today at Caerhays Castle:

EOS70D-20150320-8843.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The Mun.

IMG_8331-1-3.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Shingle, your photos are all stunning. What kit do you use to get your pics so sharp? Any other tips? I thought I was getting there with my photographs until I saw yours! I've got further to go than I thought.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Shingle, your photos are all stunning. What kit do you use to get your pics so sharp? Any other tips? I thought I was getting there with my photographs until I saw yours! I've got further to go than I thought.

Out of interest, JS, what post-processing do you do, if any? Don't forget that cameras automatically do variable amounts of sharpening (as well as adjusting contrast, white balance, etc) if you are saving the images as JPG. If you take RAW images, they aren't processed, and you'll need to tweak the photos manually, in something like Lightroom. There may be a vast difference between the original photos I take, and the results I post on here. Trying to keep them "natural" can be hard work!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Out of interest, JS, what post-processing do you do, if any? Don't forget that cameras automatically do variable amounts of sharpening (as well as adjusting contrast, white balance, etc) if you are saving the images as JPG. If you take RAW images, they aren't processed, and you'll need to tweak the photos manually, in something like Lightroom. There may be a vast difference between the original photos I take, and the results I post on here. Trying to keep them "natural" can be hard work!
My Nikon d7100 is set on RAW quality. I then tweak them in Photoshop's "Camera Raw". I'm thinking of investing in a d810 full-frame. I would be hoping for sharper pictures with the difference in spec. and of course the price. Any thoughts from anyone would be most welcome.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
attachment.php

Sanderling from Worthing Beach at the weekend.

The colours of the bird, the colours of the rock and the colour of the boquet go together to make a great photo. Love it.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton

Shoot in RAW, any processing is completed in Photoshop CS6, and adobe bridge.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

Thanks JS for the nice comments about my pics

Re Kit… I use
2 x Canon 5D Mk 2's
1 x Canon 16 - 35mm f2.8 lens
1 x Canon 24 -105mm f4 lens
1 x Canon 70 - 210mm f2.8 lens

ALWAYS shoot Raw. You have so much more control
Processing. I do practically everything in Lightroom 5 ( it's cheap and really easy to use )
Most important.....don't get too hung up about gear, I use my 24-105 lens for practically everything.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My attempt at "Street Photography". I don't think Vivian Maier would have had anything to worry about!

Attachments

• Legs & Boats 30.3.15_1.jpg
    Legs & Boats 30.3.15_1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 122
  • Skull Biker 30.3.15.jpg
    Skull Biker 30.3.15.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 122

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
My attempt at "Street Photography". I don't think Vivian Maier would have had anything to worry about!

Jack, I think your photos would have more impact if we could see the whole image on the screen! Maybe other browsers / apps resize the images, but I can't see them without scrolling. I'd suggest exporting them at 1000 pixels wide.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Jack, I think your photos would have more impact if we could see the whole image on the screen! Maybe other browsers / apps resize the images, but I can't see them without scrolling. I'd suggest exporting them at 1000 pixels wide.
The first one (portrait orientation), I need to scroll a little, but the second one is in full view. Do you need to scroll for both of my last two photos or just the first one? Have you tried holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the + or - key to change the size of what you see? Thanks for the thumbs-up by the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here