Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
I'm looking at getting the 70-200 as the 2.8 through the range appeals, but the £1800 price tag makes me queasy. Do you rate it?

Excellent wedding photos on your blog, by the way!

Thanks very much.

I dont think you can beat it. Couple of things, firstly if you did get it then it will be an investment. That lens will always hold its value so if you got it and made some money from it then you could sell it what you got it for. (a good investment)

It is the best lens and mostly used lens I have. I use it most for portrait but its very versatile.

If you want to pick up a deal then I would look at mpbphoyographic.com
He only deals in top end Nikon and Canon. I would not think twice about a second hand lens. If it works now then there is not much to go wrong with it.

What do you like shooting?

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Thanks very much.

I dont think you can beat it. Couple of things, firstly if you did get it then it will be an investment.

That's what I have been telling the Mrs :D

I have some weddings I will be shooting, so the lens will pay for iteslf eventually. I was thinking the 70-200 2.8 and the 24-70 2.8 will see me right. I am at the point where if I am buying new lenses now they may as well be pro glass as I don't want to keep upgrading.

I only have the D90 at the moment, so those lenses will be beasts on that body. Body upgrade will be next, after lenses.

Currently I have the 50mm 1.8, 18-200mm/3.5, and Tokina 11-16/2.8.

I also have an SB900, looking at your pics, you don't use Speedlights?

Racek

Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
That's what I have been telling the Mrs :D

I have some weddings I will be shooting, so the lens will pay for iteslf eventually. I was thinking the 70-200 2.8 and the 24-70 2.8 will see me right. I am at the point where if I am buying new lenses now they may as well be pro glass as I don't want to keep upgrading.

I only have the D90 at the moment, so those lenses will be beasts on that body. Body upgrade will be next, after lenses.

Currently I have the 50mm 1.8, 18-200mm/3.5, and Tokina 11-16/2.8.

I also have an SB900, looking at your pics, you don't use Speedlights?

I dont actually. D3 is so good in low light and am in to the natural light thing.

Quite interesting and exciting for you at the moment then. 50mm 1.8 is a great lens. Never get rid of that and every pro should have that in the bag. 18-200 is a good lens but feel that it will never get used once you upgrade. Saying that, it might be nice to keep if you just want to go out for the day and and not lug 2 lenses around with you.

24-70 and 70-200 will last you a life time. Again I would look at getting 2 D300s I think as you will find that really useful shooting weddings. Easy to say but it all costs!

As you know all these bodies are changing all the time so I would just look out for a used D300 and you will notice a massive difference with those lenses.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks very much.

I dont think you can beat it. Couple of things, firstly if you did get it then it will be an investment. That lens will always hold its value so if you got it and made some money from it then you could sell it what you got it for. (a good investment)

It is the best lens and mostly used lens I have. I use it most for portrait but its very versatile.

If you want to pick up a deal then I would look at mpbphoyographic.com
He only deals in top end Nikon and Canon. I would not think twice about a second hand lens. If it works now then there is not much to go wrong with it.

What do you like shooting?

Your link doesn't work, or is incorrect. I'll be looking to purchase a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM really soon, was going to check out their prices :)

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I've got a Nikon D40x with a 18-200mm lens, but I'm seriously considering trading it in as I just don't use it enough. Thanks for the link to MPB! :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

24-70 and 70-200 will last you a life time. Again I would look at getting 2 D300s I think as you will find that really useful shooting weddings.

As you know all these bodies are changing all the time so I would just look out for a used D300 and you will notice a massive difference with those lenses.
I'd recommend keeping the D90 as a 2nd body and getting a second hand D700 instead, if it's for weddings.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
wow we got some really good photographers posting on here! great pictures

Racek

Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
I'd recommend keeping the D90 as a 2nd body and getting a second hand D700 instead, if it's for weddings.

The problem with that is the pictures will look different. You should really have 2 of the same bodies. I used to shoot with a D3 and a D200 and it really didn't work.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The problem with that is the pictures will look different. You should really have 2 of the same bodies. I used to shoot with a D3 and a D200 and it really didn't work.
How many weddings did you use both for? Personalty I think he should have better than the D300 for weddings, and if making money from it he should be able to have two D700s or better pretty soon. If he's using a colour checker for his white balance, I think the colour should be close enough.

Racek

Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
How many weddings did you use both for? Personalty I think he should have better than the D300 for weddings, and if making money from it he should be able to have two D700s or better pretty soon. If he's using a colour checker for his white balance, I think the colour should be close enough.

I have shot a wedding with a D300 before. For me its all about the lenses. I would prefer to shoot with 2 of the same bodies, even if it was 2 x D200. What do you use.

Oh and i used them for 2 weddings.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have shot a wedding with a D300 before. For me its all about the lenses. I would prefer to shoot with 2 of the same bodies, even if it was 2 x D200. What do you use.
I did have two D700s, but I've just changed one to a D800 (mainly for studio work). I'm not looking for wedding work, but I'd be happy to do one with a D700 & D800. You need to adjust WB a lot due to the dramatic lighting changes in a wedding (which I appreciate you know), and I assume (the mother of all fuckups) a different body wouldn't make too much difference. Of course the lenses are important, but he already seems to be going for decent lenses. The main benefit of the D300 over the D90 is the extra buttons etc to make changing things quicker. They use the same sensor, and the D90 came out later didn't it? It's about £1150 / £1200 for a mint D700, so I'd upgrade to that level or better asap, and 2 * D300 would just delay that.

Oh and i used them for 2 weddings.
Ah, I thought you were going to say a dozen or so. I know the D200 was a good body, but that's quite a step up to the D3, so maybe that's why you gave up the D200 quickly :)

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I have a Nikon D80 with an 18 - 105 lens which I bought off a mate quite cheap.
Although I've studied the manual, I'm still baffled by all the jargon and the swithches and knobs on the camera.
My motto used to be, "Put it on green and click".
As the popular consensus of opinion on here seems to be put it on P, I've done so. Then I click.
The automatic focus switches on the camera and lens are still on. I can't see what's different with the photos I've taken recently on this setting compared to the green.
Are there any recommended web sites where I can start to learn how to perhaps pick up some advice in laymans' language so I can take advantage of what I'm told is a pretty good camera?
Any advice would be great.
Your help is much appreciated.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I have a Nikon D80 with an 18 - 105 lens which I bought off a mate quite cheap.
Although I've studied the manual, I'm still baffled by all the jargon and the swithches and knobs on the camera.
My motto used to be, "Put it on green and click".
As the popular consensus of opinion on here seems to be put it on P, I've done so. Then I click.
The automatic focus switches on the camera and lens are still on. I can't see what's different with the photos I've taken recently on this setting compared to the green.
Are there any recommended web sites where I can start to learn how to perhaps pick up some advice in laymans' language so I can take advantage of what I'm told is a pretty good camera?
Any advice would be great.
Your help is much appreciated.

The Photographic Glossary | 'The Photographic Encyclopaedia' | from Aberration to Byte

This website is quite useful, although they do use some technical words within the definitions, all the info should be there :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My motto used to be, "Put it on green and click"
Using an auto mode like P should get your shot in focus, with the correct exposure. The problem with auto modes is that they stop you thinking and stop you using your creativity to create the shot that you're after.

I can't see what's different with the photos I've taken recently on this setting compared to the green.
You wouldn't. Green is Auto right? (my Nikons don't have it) And P is program. I think they're roughly the same, except that Auto will pop the flash up if it thinks it's necessary. I reserve the right to have got that completely wrong, but the principle is, don't use either.

You could get a book like Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Peterson. Or, since you provided me with my Amex fix every week, I'll give you a free lesson if you like.

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Bryan Peterson: Books

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here