Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

The real trick of good photography is to frame the photograph well, snap a good image, and crop it carefully. If you can't do that, the results will be disappointing - however much you've spent on the equipment.

A further tip ... if you want to persuade folk that you are a "good photographer", throw most of your photos away. Only a small percentage will be more than just a record of what happened. Not that there is anything wrong with recording what happened, of course.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That is handy, if I buy a 2nd camera from there how good is the quality (ie lens damage?)

Very good, they don't have anything other than good quality used. The lens problem I had was a known chip problem for that lens, the camera had an error when it connected; they swapped it without any fuss. It's not a retail shop, but you can save postage if you pick up from them. Recommended.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I use a Sony A580, cracking piece of kit. In terms of lenses, in addition to the 18-55mm kit lens, I've got a 30mm prime, 75-300mm zoom, but my favourite of all is the ultra-wide 8-16mm - all my best shots have been taken at 8mm.

I'm on Flickr too if people want to add me - http://www.flickr.com/photos/danjc003/

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The real trick of good photography is to frame the photograph well, snap a good image, and crop it carefully. If you can't do that, the results will be disappointing - however much you've spent on the equipment.

This. And more. It's hardly at all about the equipment. It's about knowing what makes a good photo and about being in the right place at the right time. You can get a once-in-a-lifetime shot with a forty quid digital camera if you have an eye for an image.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
And there was me hoping to see some pictures on this thread. Not just people comparing the size of their lenses!

:drool::whistle::wink:

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Casting for the moon.jpg

Here's one i done earlier!

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Go to advanced options, and goto manage attachments, upoad images from there?

It says the maximum file size for jpegs is 9.54MB, yet it won't let me attach a 4.5MB file because it's 'too big'?

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Im just getting started with it, bought a Canon 550d 18-55mm just before Xmas, havent really used it yet, cracking camera though

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
kite1.jpg

I've been doing this for over 50 years. Digital is simple compared to back in the day, although it's still about having your camera with you and seeing the shot, regardless of how expensive your equipment is.
This was taken at 6.30pm last Thursday, with a Kodak KC533, 5mp it's usually in my pocket.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here