Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
There are two Terrapins in the Rockery and they've been in there years and were put in with my permission. They sit out on the side in the sun and don't hurt anyone. I feed the fish daily and the Terrapins get fed as well. They live in the main pond....newts, frogs, mini beasts live in the marginal areas which we added in 2013.
Terrapins are omnivores so they will eat anything....small fish, salad, fish food etc etc.
Please don't touch them, the kids enjoy seeing them and to be honest, so do I.

Edit, they don't breed in this country so there's no chance of them taking over the planet. Maybe next time, come and chat to the old fart of a gardener who has looked after the place for the last 25 years

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'll let Jevs reply in more detail, but I'm sure he wouldn't want anybody to get them removed. They've been there for years, and people come specially to see them.
The trouble is
There are two Terrapins in the Rockery and they've been in there years and were put in with my permission. They sit out on the side in the sun and don't hurt anyone. I feed the fish daily and the Terrapins get fed as well. They live in the main pond....newts, frogs, mini beasts live in the marginal areas which we added in 2013.
Terrapins are omnivores so they will eat anything....small fish, salad, fish food etc etc.
Please don't touch them, the kids enjoy seeing them and to be honest, so do I.

Edit, they don't breed in this country so there's no chance of them taking over the planet. Maybe next time, come and chat to the old fart of a gardener who has looked after the place for the last 25 years
I think in your area the Terrapins have a lot of food opportunities i.e. small fish whereas in wild ponds or places where there are just newts they can be destructive.. As you say they are unlikely to breed so should be a limited issue. I assume pet shops aren't allowed to sell them now as that was the real problem as people couldn't keep them when they grew or didn't take on board they could live for 50+ years...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'll let Jevs reply in more detail, but I'm sure he wouldn't want anybody to get them removed. They've been there for years, and people come specially to see them.
Thanks for your response mate. And no personal disrespect intended whatsoever but... isn't that exactly what they said within both our lifetimes about the dolphins in the 'Dolphinarium'?

*edit* Just seen @jevs response after I posted my response above. I get it that you two are the experts on the ground. And total respect for that. Would however respectly question whether its the optimum course of action re those non-native species. Wouldn't they be happier living out their lives elsewhere?

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks for your response mate. And no personal disrespect intended whatsoever but... isn't that exactly what they said within both our lifetimes about the dolphins in the 'Dolphinarium'?

*edit* Just seen @jevs response after I posted my response above. I get it that you two are the experts on the ground. And total respect for that. Would however respectly question whether its the optimum course of action re those non-native species. Wouldn't they be happier living out their lives elsewhere?
Again, I'll let Jevs respond, but when I was involved with the Rock Garden, and I've been retired 8 years now, the terrapins were there then. I seem to remember consulting an expert, and carrying out a risk assessment, and it was deemed that they were quite OK to live there. As they're still going strong, I would assume they're quite happy there? :giggle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here