Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Ive got the Fuji X100V, brilliant camera. I take it everywhere with me and its so easy to use.

Im thinking of splurging out on the X100V1. The release date was the beginning of the month but nobody seems to have any in stock, jessops, park cameras etc

What a result for you eh CM, very jealous.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I've just bought the beautiful new Fujifilm X100 VI. I've seen a couple of mentions of the X100 system here before but wondering if there are other enthusiasts.

For anyone unaware these cameras can be very hard to get hold of with waiting times sometimes stretching into years. Even though I missed the announcement of the new version by more than a week, through sheer luck I checked Argos within moments of them releasing their tiny allocation, and managed to get one!

I picked it up today and it's a thing of beauty. I've got interested in street photography recently and this looks like the ideal companion. I'm still getting to grips with the thing, which is totally different from the menu-driven, all-electronic DSLRs we've been using for years. I will be watching a few more YouTube videos before venturing out.

Ive got the Fuji X100V, brilliant camera. I take it everywhere with me and its so easy to use.

Im thinking of splurging out on the X100V1. The release date was the beginning of the month but nobody seems to have any in stock, jessops, park cameras etc

It's his reward for winning the Spring Wordle Cup!

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

Thanks @shingle but don’t feel too bad if you already have the X100V. They’re pretty much identical apart from the bigger sensor (which a few reviewers /commentators have questioned the need for) and IBIS. The image stabilisation should definitely be a step up, and perhaps worth putting in a preorder for, but apart from that, there’s nothing urgent to feel too jealous about — you've got 90+% of the good stuff.

Anyway, I need to stop sounding like I know what I’m talking about. I’ve never thought of myself as a gear bore, would much rather be taking pictures and concentrating on the creative side. I’m hoping to take the camera for a walk tomorrow after a couple of hours of YouTube tuition this evening (I needed a distraction after the Rome disappointment). I’ve a feeling it’ll take me a while to feel even vaguely competent with it but it’s certainly done wonders for my motivation to get out there and start shooting.

BTW, do you think I’d be allowed into the Amex with a camera this size? I couldn’t see any ground regulations about taking pictures with a small camera when I last looked.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Thanks @shingle but don’t feel too bad if you already have the X100V. They’re pretty much identical apart from the bigger sensor (which a few reviewers /commentators have questioned the need for) and IBIS. The image stabilisation should definitely be a step up, and perhaps worth putting in a preorder for, but apart from that, there’s nothing urgent to feel too jealous about — you've got 90+% of the good stuff.

Anyway, I need to stop sounding like I know what I’m talking about. I’ve never thought of myself as a gear bore, would much rather be taking pictures and concentrating on the creative side. I’m hoping to take the camera for a walk tomorrow after a couple of hours of YouTube tuition this evening (I needed a distraction after the Rome disappointment). I’ve a feeling it’ll take me a while to feel even vaguely competent with it but it’s certainly done wonders for my motivation to get out there and start shooting.

BTW, do you think I’d be allowed into the Amex with a camera this size? I couldn’t see any ground regulations about taking pictures with a small camera when I last looked.
Generally speaking PL grounds won't let you in with long lenses, or something that looks 'big' or 'professional'. There's a poster on here (can't recall who just now) who takes his Sony RX100 (or similar) to grounds and never has any bother.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A ball of barnacles wins wildlife photo award

_132907677_9fe6c970-ba2b-41cc-a868-8b28b2b1b80a.jpg

Some lovely shots

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bought a new lens for my bottom of the range Canon. Reduced from £250 plus to £90 due to some mold stains in the lens, but the Ebay vendor promised it did not affect the function. I think he was right. Here's Ragnar the Bastard, snapped from a distance today.

1710960109464.png

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am in the process of trying to log/record/list/photograph the different species of birds that visit the small wood and surrounding area of Woodingdean cemetery. Up to 21 for this year so far which I think is quite good for such a small area. I am using a Olympus om-d em10ii and a Panasonic 100-300 lens (effective focal length 200-600) which is not the best but is quite light on the neck and shoulder.

#4 Jay.JPG
#11 Kestrel_.JPG
Green Woodpecker 1.JPG

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I am in the process of trying to log/record/list/photograph the different species of birds that visit the small wood and surrounding area of Woodingdean cemetery. Up to 21 for this year so far which I think is quite good for such a small area. I am using a Olympus om-d em10ii and a Panasonic 100-300 lens (effective focal length 200-600) which is not the best but is quite light on the neck and shoulder.

View attachment 179051View attachment 179052View attachment 179053
You did well to get a woodpecker that well with a 300mm lens. I have two woodpecker photos - both just blurry messes.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Bought a new lens for my bottom of the range Canon. Reduced from £250 plus to £90 due to some mold stains in the lens, but the Ebay vendor promised it did not affect the function. I think he was right. Here's Ragnar the Bastard, snapped from a distance today.

View attachment 179049
Cattitude!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here