Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
All around there is great for butterflies. The back of Woodingdean is a butterfly gold-mine.

one from the back track have you been to the butterfly farm near ditchling common?. marbled white-1 small.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'm a frequent visitor to Ditchling Common, but not the butterfly farm. I'll investigate. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Unfortunately I am still isolating because of my wife's condition so have not been there to comment but have been to a couple in the past and they were a (butterfly) photograhers dream.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Can anyone recommend me a best bang for my buck travel tripod please. I have just entered the world of spotting scopes and want something light and compact but stable with a decent pan head type thingie.

I see Manfratto and Benro seem popular choices. My budget is very entry level though, so ideally I want models to look out for then find 2nd hand on eBay. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed at the mo by the MASSIVE choice on offer.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Can anyone recommend me a best bang for my buck travel tripod please. I have just entered the world of spotting scopes and want something light and compact but stable with a decent pan head type thingie.

I see Manfratto and Benro seem popular choices. My budget is very entry level though, so ideally I want models to look out for then find 2nd hand on eBay. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed at the mo by the MASSIVE choice on offer.

Don't know much about this subject, but just found this;
https://boxed2me.co.uk/product/ex-p...9bFYoLTNUeS_XdVfbewtcYOSKq7qZdMxoCaj0QAvD_BwE

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Took some nice shots (iPhone only) of the poppy field on Lancing Ring today but won’t upload for some reason. Anyway, it’s lovely up there at the moment on the West side.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Took some nice shots (iPhone only) of the poppy field on Lancing Ring today but won’t upload for some reason. Anyway, it’s lovely up there at the moment on the West side.

I think it'll have something to do with file size. I only use my phone for all my photography. I have some nature and wildlife shots I'd like to share, but it's random if they upload to here or not. Mostly they fail to upload. Probably does everyone here a favour in my case though :lol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think it'll have something to do with file size. I only use my phone for all my photography. I have some nature and wildlife shots I'd like to share, but it's random if they upload to here or not. Mostly they fail to upload. Probably does everyone here a favour in my case though :lol:

Yeah, mine never used to upload, then they did, now they don’t. Oh well. They were just snaps really.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I've had one of these for many years, and it seems to do a pretty good job. Very easy to use with just one wheel.

It does 'sag' a bit if you have a big zoom on, but you get used to it and just tighten it up pointing slightly above where you want - but then, I did have another more substantial tripod that did just the same.

https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/compact-action-aluminium-tripod-with-hybrid-head-black-mkcompactacn-bk/

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've had one of these for many years, and it seems to do a pretty good job. Very easy to use with just one wheel.

It does 'sag' a bit if you have a big zoom on, but you get used to it and just tighten it up pointing slightly above where you want - but then, I did have another more substantial tripod that did just the same.

https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/compact-action-aluminium-tripod-with-hybrid-head-black-mkcompactacn-bk/

Thanks. That sort of pistol grip would do fine for me. I've had a go on something similar before. What's it like on full extension? Still nice and stable?

Price point is about where I'm aiming at too.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

Cant go wrong with a Manfrotto, reasonably priced and well made. I've got 2 :blush:

As you say check out ebay.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Thanks. That sort of pistol grip would do fine for me. I've had a go on something similar before. What's it like on full extension? Still nice and stable?

Price point is about where I'm aiming at too.

It's stable as a tripod, in that the legs are okay and it doesn't wobble. But there isn't one of those hooks for hanging bags and things from for extra stability.

But, if you are thinking of it, see if you can give it a try first. The one thing that you may find is that the spotter scope is a bit heavy for it and so the pistol grip might not be quite firm enough. But that partly depends upon the balance and so on. For instance, with my older zoom, I get the sag - because it's the camera that's on the tripod head. But my (new to me) old minolta zoom has the tripod mount thing on the lens - and so because the weight is centred, it's fine. It is, after all, really designed for the shorter lens - but see if you can try it out first (we still have a camera shop a couple of stations away so I can still play with stuff first!).

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
One of mine from a remote area of Ethiopia. Hamar tribe teenagers come in to the village of Dimeka for the Saturday market. As there's no electricity in their villages they come in to charge up their phones at a tin shack and also to meet up with girls from the surrounding area.

38.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here